[RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (final version!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dancso

Re: [RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (updated 12/5!)

Post by Dancso »

JonnyFive wrote:
Nash wrote:However, I'm having some trouble with getting the UV coords right for texture baking, and I'm too tired to figure it out because I just got back from work. I'll probably need 1 more day if I were to complete your models... that is if you'd like to wait.
Sure, I'm willing to wait. I wasn't planning to do anything until tomorrow at the earliest, so another day isn't a big deal, and I wanted to check up a couple little things tomorrow anyway.
Funny how every time you say "I'm gonna release this tomorrow if there's nothing else left to do" then you get a bug report or something shortly after :D
przndoom

Post by przndoom »

thats how life works....sweet mod JonnyFive, i just DL'd it
JonayaRiley
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by JonayaRiley »

Dancso wrote:Funny how every time you say "I'm gonna release this tomorrow if there's nothing else left to do" then you get a bug report or something shortly after :D
Eh... it's worth it to have a polished product. :)
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

JonnyFive wrote:Eh... it's worth it to have a polished product. :)
That's the spirit! :D
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

JonnyFive wrote:
Dancso wrote:Funny how every time you say "I'm gonna release this tomorrow if there's nothing else left to do" then you get a bug report or something shortly after :D
Sure it is. Too bad i'm so lazy and play instead of create most of the time. :\ It's such a great pleasure to release something that is our own piece of work, and people actually (possibly) have fun with it/enjoy it. I feel the need to create something daily but then i say "maybe tomorrow" or "nah i'm not in the mood to do anything" :?

Let me take this opportunity to thank your hard work on this mod, definitely brought many fun hours of gameplay to whoever played it. :)

I feel weird today
paradox_tn

Post by paradox_tn »

Dancso wrote:
JonnyFive wrote:
Sure it is. Too bad i'm so lazy and play instead of create most of the time. :\ It's such a great pleasure to release something that is our own piece of work, and people actually (possibly) have fun with it/enjoy it. I feel the need to create something daily but then i say "maybe tomorrow" or "nah i'm not in the mood to do anything" :?

Let me take this opportunity to thank your hard work on this mod, definitely brought many fun hours of gameplay to whoever played it. :)

I feel weird today
Very fun indeed! I've enjoyed the gameplay and everything in this mod. :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

I will keep updating this post with models that I've completed so keep checking back here. You will need both the MD3 and the PNGs I provided because they are of higher resolution. No MODELDEF provided.

http://nash.wanzafran.com/doomstuff/cah ... pcloth.zip
There are some black spots in this... I don't have time to fix them so maybe you can do them on your own in an image editor?

http://nash.wanzafran.com/doomstuff/cah ... chairs.zip
Contains normal and upside down mesh. Wooden and metal textures can be applied to any of these meshes as they have been properly UV mapped.

http://nash.wanzafran.com/doomstuff/cah ... /table.zip
Due to the extremely simple mesh, baking into this almost resulted in no perceivable differences. There was some light shading going on but that's about it. I had to create some dummy geometry above the table so that it would cast some shadows onto the table top, otherwise it'd look just as flat as if no baking had been done to it. :P
Last edited by Nash on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Ah, very nice, it looks good in-game. I took the translucency off the models since it was looking pretty funky, but it looks fine now. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I realize the textures I used aren't very Doom-ish. Perhaps you can edit the hue and saturation to further match the surrounding Doom textures?

Also, table and ladder coming next, but something came up so it'll be another 10 hours more from this post before I can get back to work. Sorry for the inconvenience.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Dancso wrote:Sure it is. Too bad i'm so lazy and play instead of create most of the time. :\ It's such a great pleasure to release something that is our own piece of work, and people actually (possibly) have fun with it/enjoy it. I feel the need to create something daily but then i say "maybe tomorrow" or "nah i'm not in the mood to do anything" :?
You should do all the hard foundation work, and really force yourself to do it. Then you get to "play" with your own work, which tends to motivate me to work on it a little bit more.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just a thought... In this post:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 71#p392471

I have uploaded a simple file that demonstrates dropping an actor with a flat model attached to it. Originally I used this model to fake blood splats on the floor but in this case it is used for foot prints. However, because of me putting this together, the thought just struck me that, whilst the player was bleeding in CaH it might be a nice touch to have him leave a trail of blood spots behind?
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Enjay wrote:Just a thought... In this post:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 71#p392471

I have uploaded a simple file that demonstrates dropping an actor with a flat model attached to it. Originally I used this model to fake blood splats on the floor but in this case it is used for foot prints. However, because of me putting this together, the thought just struck me that, whilst the player was bleeding in CaH it might be a nice touch to have him leave a trail of blood spots behind?
Interesting and good idea. Would surely make the players believe they are actually bleeding. *thumbs up* :D
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Would you happen to be interested in having a trailer for this? :)
I happen to be in the mood for making trailers for noteworthy mods, recently.
I would be so glad to contribute one for Cold as Hell. I loved it back when it first showed up, bugs aside.

My past work for comparison, if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EaOTersKcA&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-M9HGBmxHU&fmt=18
Project Shadowcat

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Congratulations, you got a Cacoward! :D
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

Since I play tested it and my name appears in the credits, does that mean I got one too? :P
Heh, I knew this would win a cacoaward. It had it written all over it. Everything about it was great. Great voice acting , great story line, great gameplay, great visuals, and overall just fucking awesome. Just out of curiosity, is there going to be a sequel? That's basically the impression I got from the ending.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”