[RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (final version!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: [RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (updated 12/5!)

Post by Enjay »

Something else that might be worth considering for the flag - although I don't think it is particularly important for CaH as I think there is only ever 1 per map: If you place a few of them on a map, they all wave at exactly the same time - especially obvious if they are near each other. Putting a few randomised A_Jumps at the start of the spawn sequence which get skipped in subesequent loops of the animation means that different flags are more likely to start their animation sequence at a different place and, therefore, it isn't so obvious that they are all running through the same animation.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Arch-Valentine wrote:So is this wad designed to be played in continuation, or can you just do pistol starts for added difficulty? I ask this, because of the whole notes thing. Plus having tons of notes from previous levels is kinda annoying.
uhh. This project is, a HUB. Which means you must keep all your stuff between going through levels, unless a script takes it. The whole point of it is to find out what exactly happened, and the notes are there to help you. You should definitely read them and not skip on them, or you'll be unable to finish the game. The notes from previous levels are important as a quick reminder on what you need to do.
JonayaRiley
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by JonayaRiley »

You only actually need to read five notes (as in, the game requires you to read them to do something important), four of which are bundled together and you only need to glance at them, and I think the other one is read automatically (if its not, I'll fix that on Monday). But yeah, you can't really start from any one level in the middle of things, with a couple exceptions:

-You can safely skip ahead to map02 if you want to skip the intro once you've started the game and chosen your combat style.
-You can probably skip ahead to map03 if you don't mind missing the intro level, since that's where the hub actually kicks off.
-If you're really sick of this noise and want to just play the last two levels (which require nothing from the hub), you can skip to map14 or map15.

Anyway, it's not really designed to be started arbitrarily. You'll be okay for weapons, since there's a lot of them, but you might lose key items that you need to continue, or reset script variables (their use is minimized, but there are still a couple) to produce weird results.
paradox_tn

Post by paradox_tn »

Dancso wrote:
Arch-Valentine wrote:So is this wad designed to be played in continuation, or can you just do pistol starts for added difficulty? I ask this, because of the whole notes thing. Plus having tons of notes from previous levels is kinda annoying.
uhh. This project is, a HUB. Which means you must keep all your stuff between going through levels, unless a script takes it. The whole point of it is to find out what exactly happened, and the notes are there to help you. You should definitely read them and not skip on them, or you'll be unable to finish the game. The notes from previous levels are important as a quick reminder on what you need to do.
Yup, I agree with Dancso. These notes/letters are not mean't to be annoying, they're their to help you. :wink:
Nash

Post by Nash »

paradox_tn wrote:Also Nash, really nice work on the chair and flag. :D
Thanks for your support. :D
Enjay wrote:You do know, do you, that there is no need to include all those nul sprites for the flag? You could just use existing sprite names (like poss or whatever) because the sprites will never be seen anyway.
Regarding the null frames... for cosmetic reasons (just a work habit I have) I didn't want to use existing frames even for models that will never be visible as sprites. The mentality was that, what if I needed animations that spans several hundreds of frames long.

Actually, I just thought of something - the new TEXTURES lump allows me to define sprites right? I'll most probably define new dummy sprites that all point to a single lump.
This is kinda like saying, "can you make Diablo a platform game with a lot jumping because levelling up is annoying" or "I wish Quake was a racing game because I don't like running through demonic levels and killing monsters"... :shrug:
Arch-Valentine

Post by Arch-Valentine »

I just don't like having to scroll through like 10-15 notes to read the new one I picked up. Anyways, how the hell do you use bandages? I'm playing on realistic, and when I get hurt I hit the select a bandage key and it doesn't do anything....In fact I don't even see my general condition or bleeding status. I've been hit multiple times, one time when I barely had any hp and it still never says I'm bleeding...Using GZDoom 1.1.6 r239.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Arch-Valentine wrote:I just don't like having to scroll through like 10-15 notes to read the new one I picked up.
... You shouldn't need to. It should automatically "set" itself to the note you just most recently picked up for viewing pleasure.
Anyways, how the hell do you use bandages?
Did you read the manual?
I'm playing on realistic, and when I get hurt I hit the select a bandage key and it doesn't do anything....
If you are bleeding, then you have to hold the Use Bandage button for three seconds.
In fact I don't even see my general condition or bleeding status.
?
I've been hit multiple times, one time when I barely had any hp and it still never says I'm bleeding...Using GZDoom 1.1.6 r239.
Some hits do not cause bleeding. Perhaps you were running a luck streak?
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Project Dark Fox wrote:
I've been hit multiple times, one time when I barely had any hp and it still never says I'm bleeding...Using GZDoom 1.1.6 r239.
Some hits do not cause bleeding. Perhaps you were running a luck streak?
Actually I've been playing on lunatic and i only needed bandages a very few times. It seems like I only bleed if I'm below 50% hp or something...
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Bleeding depends on combat style, not difficulty (except that it's disabled on "Recruit"). I'll check the percentages to see if perhaps they should be tweaked a bit.

The notes you pick up will always be selected as current, yes.
dennisj1

Post by dennisj1 »

Where can I download GZDoom? (DRDTeam is down (again))
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

You have to wait for it to be online again. DRDTeam hosts both the svn service and the official versions.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

§-Morpheus-§ wrote:You have to wait for it to be online again. DRDTeam hosts both the svn service and the official versions.
Looks like it's back.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I took a look at all the models to determine which models need baking because not all of them are important, and these are the only ones that are needed, in my opinion:

Desk lamp
Huge draped cloth thing
Wodden and metal chairs, and their upside down variations
Wooden table
Ladder

The other are either not significant enough, or look fine as-is (the barrel, for example, has some decent shading already).

However, I'm having some trouble with getting the UV coords right for texture baking, and I'm too tired to figure it out because I just got back from work. I'll probably need 1 more day if I were to complete your models... that is if you'd like to wait.
Potnop

Post by Potnop »

Oh yeah. U should include the mirror links in the main post. I started DLing off rapidshare at first... Mirror downloaded for me faster in 10 seconds than rapid share did in 30 seconds. How many people actually pay to download off that faster?

Can't wait to play this though...
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

Nash wrote:However, I'm having some trouble with getting the UV coords right for texture baking, and I'm too tired to figure it out because I just got back from work. I'll probably need 1 more day if I were to complete your models... that is if you'd like to wait.
Sure, I'm willing to wait. I wasn't planning to do anything until tomorrow at the earliest, so another day isn't a big deal, and I wanted to check up a couple little things tomorrow anyway.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”