Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
enigma.rain

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 30 May 2008]

Post by enigma.rain »

@Davidos: This may not be the place, and may not help you out any, but hang in there. I've experienced losses, but never one so close, so I can only imagine what it's like.

@Vaecrius: Alright, correcting the little move and fire problem could be really simple. If it's possible, remove that little pre-fire recoil for the 'nades, and remove any sort of screen jog while crouching, or perhaps put in a prone position that puts you closer to the floor, and moves VERY slowly, just enough to make small adjustments for someone to get their shot set when sniping.

As for the panic-button thing for a pistol...it's kinda crappy trying to switch from the rifle or any other weapons to the shotgun as a panic weapon. I mean, it's possible, but when really paniced you, well, panic, and you'll probably switch a weapon that takes a while to start up, and then you're dead. I mean, if you could find a way to bind the SSG to a different, user selectable key, that would fix that problem pretty easily. That way, someone could slap the panic button anywhere that's comfy, and make really good use of it. It would also require a little more skill to work, since it's a simple weapon switch. If you didn't reload the SSG before going into the fight, you die, and if you were smart and made sure it was reloaded, you live. Simple.

Is there a way to make a monster just wander around even after it sees you? I mean, if you hide really well, causing the monster to lose sight of you, could it go back into it's regular state until it sees or hears you again? That could make flanking possible, adding to realism, but wouldn't require the monster to take cover or any new sounds or anything. I don't know much about monster making, but this shouldn't be too hard, right?

I'm going to ditch the current map I've worked on, simply because it sucks and is kinda glitchy, and maybe design that barn raid you mentioned. I don't have new textures, and until I figure out how to use SLumpED I'll have to use Doom or Doom2 textures. Do you use DoomBuilder? I'm not sure how to make slopes, since it isn't in the guide, and that would add to the Barn map if I could figure that out.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying this mod, even after dying a million times in one session. Haven't had this much in front of my computer since FEAR first came out.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 30 May 2008]

Post by Matt »

enigma.rain wrote:Is there a way to make a monster just wander around even after it sees you? I mean, if you hide really well, causing the monster to lose sight of you, could it go back into it's regular state until it sees or hears you again? That could make flanking possible, adding to realism, but wouldn't require the monster to take cover or any new sounds or anything. I don't know much about monster making, but this shouldn't be too hard, right?
Some of the weaker or more mobile monsters already do this to an extent, but my intention was to make them more unpredictable and less likely to blunder into the player's line of fire. :D I'll see what I can do to implement some more wandering to make them a bit easier rather than harder.

New version up:
  • As suggested, you are now able to move an inch to adjust your shot and still shoot straight immediately afterwards.
  • New grenade cookoff method, as mentioned in the other post.
  • Raised the rockets' and grenades' aimpoints. Downside: Every rocket you fire leaves you with a cloud of smoke in your face.
Download
News page
enigma.rain

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 01 June 2008]

Post by enigma.rain »

I downloaded the newest ZDoom, and tried running HD, but got this:

Code: Select all

Script error, "dcfunctn" line 89:
"nointeraction" is an unknown flag
So it ain't running. Do you know what's up with this?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

enigma.rain wrote:I downloaded the newest ZDoom, and tried running HD, but got this:

Code: Select all

Script error, "dcfunctn" line 89:
"nointeraction" is an unknown flag
So it ain't running. Do you know what's up with this?
What's "the newest ZDoom"?

It should work with either r908 (April 13, available on the Sourceforge site) or GZDoom 1.1.04 (May 23, based on r993).
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Vaecrius wrote:It should work with either r908 (April 13, available on the Sourceforge site) or GZDoom 1.1.04 (May 23, based on r993).
Actually, RazTK stopped (I think) doing builds, so Nash is starting to do recent builds. His thread can be found here:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17088
Matt

Post by Matt »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:Actually, RazTK stopped (I think) doing builds, so Nash is starting to do recent builds. His thread can be found here:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17088
Sweet.

Also, update with a co-op bugfix.
enigma.rain

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update 02 June 2008]

Post by enigma.rain »

That would be 2.2.0 or whatever you get from this forum, but I'll try the other ones too.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10728

Here's some Inspiration fuel to keep your brain running.
I suppose you remember/know this?
It's another realism mod for Zdoom 1.22 using a (heavily) modified zdoom engine.
I used to play it all the time, despite it's flaws.
Be sure to read the Nsquad readme thing though, it's rather handy that you know what you're supposed to do.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Davidos wrote:I suppose you remember/know this?
I did not, thanks for the link.
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

On a side note: They are sending my father back home, but I doubt it's because he's doing so good. I might as well brace myself.

Ontopic: I managed to make two videos of Entryway both on extreme difficulty.
The first one is how you should try to play it, tactical wise, showing a few of the key features in HD. I also added my music mod to the video -.-;;;
The second one shows why you will most likely fail at 'rushing' a level, if you don't take cover enough.
On the video I retried rushing 3 times. The third time it worked but that's because I used a few tactics learned from INF >.>;

If you want to see them, I'll try and virtual dub them so they'll be uploadable (They are 4 gigs together of raw video material right now )
Matt

Post by Matt »

Here's hoping he turns out fine. :/

As for the vids, I just plug them into Windows Movie Maker myself...
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Weirdass bug right here

I just stood on one spot, kept shooting at nothing.
All monsters were dead, no players whatever...
SO like I said, I was shooting, reloaded, and suddenly my player Screamed from pain, and I lost 25% Health.
I was like, wtf?
So I shot again, then reloaded STILL standing on one spot... lost 25 % more hp!

So I ran away, to a different room, started shooting there and reloaded and I frickin DIED o.o; wtf?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Davidos wrote:I just stood on one spot, kept shooting at nothing.
SO like I said, I was shooting, reloaded, and suddenly my player Screamed from pain, and I lost 25% Health.
I was like, wtf?
Does it happen with weapons other than the rifle? I did add an "overheat" function that requires you to wait a moment for the weapon to cool off, but it should never take that much health off - and you'll automatically wait if your health is low enough for that to be possible.

EDIT: And, uh, how do you know you lost 25 health?
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Vaecrius wrote:
Davidos wrote:I just stood on one spot, kept shooting at nothing.
I was like, wtf?
Does it happen with weapons other than the rifle? I did add an "overheat" function that requires you to wait a moment for the weapon to cool off, but it should never take that much health off - and you'll automatically wait if your health is low enough for that to be possible.

EDIT: And, uh, how do you know you lost 25 health?

Not really, and no, I guess it's just that, but it did take alot of health for some reason.

It's possible to see your health by using the alt hud
Or looking at the lower hud collour, I see a small line. It should be visible in the video I sent you as well. It changes collour from green to red over damage.

EDIT:

I just got another idea...
deafening by explosions, eh? Eh?
I got sounds enough to do that but not the coding skill.
The sound is just a long beep, which could fade out with the sound in the environment still being 'blurred' and faded... just like when they're shooting from long range, it should sound like that if you ask me.
Like the idea?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Davidos wrote:I got sounds enough to do that but not the coding skill.
Neither do I - I can get a ringing sound to play if someone's been too close to an explosion, but I'm pretty sure changing overall volume for everything is beyond ACS or DECORATE. And even then there's still, say, telling the difference between an explosion in an underground parking garage and out in a field...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”