[DONE!] Doom: The Lost Episode

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: [v0.80d] Doom: The Lost Episode

Post by Xaser »

Ick! Mansion is full of surprises, it seems!

No, it's not intentional... thanks for spotting it! I'll probably fix it, though PSXers might miss the change. The blue key platform used to be lower, too, but I had to raise it a bit so it couldn't be straferan-to.

Question for Nuxius or other PSX-gurus: Should I leave these as-is for all the speedrunners or fix it? After all, you need to return to the teleport room anyway later on. To me, it's a bug, but so are a few other mapping 'oddities' in the originals, so should I stay or should I go? ;P

Eh, I figure going through the halls in a speedrun without the Super shotty is suicide -- it was for me, anyhow. Stupid pars... :P
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Ok, I finished it (except for e5m4... you know...), and I must say that the last level was a pain in UV still very entretaining.
Spoiler: final boos
Very fun anyway.

Oh and another texture I noticed (again no one will die, but well... at first I tought it was a secret:
Spoiler:
And this teleporter... very, very plain.
Spoiler:

EDIT: Also you should fix the offsets for the flaming barrel, it shakes too much :P

DBT
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Played the whole thing today and I'm about to PM you my write-up.

Happy Easter!
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Hey guys...

I've made a wad with all the Alpha textures...if you're interested...
I dunno if this has already been made in the past, but... :wink:

The link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/101953799/alphatex.wad.html
Nuxius

Post by Nuxius »

DBThanatos wrote:Just wondering, is player supossed to be able to cross those things if running in the right angle? (e5m5) because is possible (of course I didnt jump, I just ran diagonally).
Spoiler:
You could actually run across this too in the PSX version, however, there it was harder because those columns are supposed to be smaller and a bit further away (see fenderc01 PSXTC for comparison). Of course, there it was worthless as well, considering straferunning to the blue key platform was the better choice. :D
DBThanatos wrote:Oh and another texture I noticed (again no one will die, but well... at first I tought it was a secret:
Spoiler:
Kaiser bug! :p That wasn't like that in the original. ;)
DBThanatos wrote:And this teleporter... very, very plain.
Spoiler:
Well, it is supposed to lead to a secret (a ridiculously easy to find secret, but a secret nonetheless), so I guess they had to partially obscure it somehow.

Xaser wrote:Question for Nuxius or other PSX-gurus: Should I leave these as-is for all the speedrunners or fix it? After all, you need to return to the teleport room anyway later on. To me, it's a bug, but so are a few other mapping 'oddities' in the originals, so should I stay or should I go? ;P
Yeah, I think it should be fixed; after all, you're not doing a PSXTC here. :p

Question, do you think I could have a hack at some of these PSX maps? I'm not really too keen on the way you fixed the access to the red teleporter in The Mansion; invisible walls suck. I have a bit better method in mind. There's also some other stuff that needs fixing that I can take care of, for example, in Twilight Descends, when you teleport to the BFG secret, you are temporarily stuck in the wall (you can break free though). I'll only mess with the PSX maps, not the other ones, BTW, so you know.
Xaser wrote:Eh, I figure going through the halls in a speedrun without the Super shotty is suicide -- it was for me, anyhow. Stupid pars... :P
Well, for me it wasn't. ;) The only thing that pissed me off in a speedrun of this map is that the secret in the blue key room that has the backpack and the teleporter that leads to the teleporter lift room doesn't activate the lifts for the teleporters. Thus you can't use it, even though it's a faster route (coming back from opening the secret room that contains the lift to the secret exit).
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hehe, I haven't even touched Threshold at all -- thus, errors. :P

Also, what flaming barrel? o_O

@Nuxius: Feel free to take a crack at the maps, and change all you see fit. I've been talking with Grimm (who did an excellent review of the wad so far) about some issues and I've decided to make some small changes to the PSX maps -- as of right now the level progression seems very strange and maybe with some more "void-y" vistas in the later maps it might work more. I don't want to deviate the progression much but something must be done!

So, make any changes you see fit -- I'm not a PSXDoom player so I don't know how these maps should work, really, and since they're to be 'improved' anyhow, why not take a stab at it?

Thanks for the help, again, hehe!
Nuxius

Post by Nuxius »

Xaser wrote:@Nuxius: Feel free to take a crack at the maps, and change all you see fit.

So, make any changes you see fit -- I'm not a PSXDoom player so I don't know how these maps should work, really, and since they're to be 'improved' anyhow, why not take a stab at it?

Thanks for the help, again, hehe!
Thanks! I'll get to cracking on them. :evil
Xaser wrote:I've been talking with Grimm (who did an excellent review of the wad so far) about some issues and I've decided to make some small changes to the PSX maps -- as of right now the level progression seems very strange and maybe with some more "void-y" vistas in the later maps it might work more. I don't want to deviate the progression much but something must be done!
Hmmm, I'm a bit torn on this. On one hand, I think some voidy areas would be great for Hell Keep, Threshold of Pain and The Marshes, however, on the other hand, they would be terrible and not fit at all with Twilight Descends, and particularly with The Mansion.

As a matter of fact, I think using a voidy area at the end of Threshold of Pain (the giant star shaped thing) would be quite cool. That level needs some more detail anyway. :p

Also, on another note, I noticed you credited John Carmack for Hell Keep. Heh, I guess I worded that a bit confusingly, I didn't actually mean he himself made the map, I have no idea who at id made it, just that his design influences were more at work in Jaguar Doom as a whole. So you should probably change that to made by id, like the Spawning Vats one. Sorry for the confusion. ;)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

All right, I finally did a few things with this guy for once. :P

A shot of the new ending area of E5M7.

I made some other cosmetic changes to M7 and messed with M9 a tiny bit but that's all for now. I've got some balancing to do in the future but that'll come soon.

I'll work on LE more once my semi-secret other map is finished. :P
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Now that;s what I'm talkin' about, hehe
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Xaser wrote:Also, what flaming barrel? o_O
I cant remember (now) exactly where the flaming barrel was, but I saw one, and the sprites of it looked like they were unoffsetted (or whatever is the word for that). I know I saw one, but man... that was a while from now.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

I believe it was E5M6.
Gez

Post by Gez »

So, any update?
Vegeta(dw)

Post by Vegeta(dw) »

Seems that you have skills, yet I find the original PSX maps used as base better than this. And the last map was a joke. The archvile clones had normal archvile sprites for most of its angles, and the new sprites were bad. The original map PSX was less annoying and actually fun, it had the atmosphere of a boss arena, this is just random shooting.
The only thing I liked was the sky texture (inappropriate though for these maps), and the convertion of the Infernal Sky novel cover art into DOOM format.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Vegeta(dw) wrote:The archvile clones had normal archvile sprites for most of its angles
Gee, I wonder why? Could it be because it's an unfinished, seemingly abandoned WIP? NO NEVER
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Archvile clones? What's that? A minor sprite edit?

Return to “Levels”