[Public Beta! Page 1 or 2] Results May Vary (Updated 4/11)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Onslaught Six

Re: [WIP] Currently Untitled Weapons Mod (Updated 3/26)

Post by Onslaught Six »

Added the Electro Disruptor and BFG3105. For some reason, I can't get the spoiler boxes up top to work now, hrm, so I edited the format a bit.
Onslaught Six

Re: [WIP] Currently Untitled Weapons Mod (Updated 3/26)

Post by Onslaught Six »

Well. Added the Super Shotgun, and this is, for all intents and purposes, "finished."

The Chaingunner is replaced with a brown-coloured one that fires grenades--but I didn't wanna go through the effort to actually edit the sprites, so he fires them out of a chaingun. Oh well.

Thing is, I feel like it's not quite done. For one thing, I still need to add the Pain.Electro states for all the other enemies that it applies to (Imp, Demon, Grenadier, as far as I remember) and part of me thinks it feels kinda empty without a Rocket Launcher, so I started on some sprites for one--the only problem I'm having is figuring out how to balance out the Rocket and Grenade launchers. Part of me just wants to randomize it ala AEOD/omgwpns. Of course, I may decide the rocket launcher isn't needed and not put it in. I dunno yet.

I also need something to replace the Chainsaw. Half of me doesn't want a melee weapon at all, while the other half of me wants to put in the Axe from Quake (with new/different sprites, of course) I thought about maybe some kind of rapid-fire blaster, but the Blaster already fires pretty quickly. Thoughts?

I also wanna do a little bit of playing with the remaining powerups. Nothing really fancy, I guess, but I think it'll be cool.

I also need a name. >.>

But as-is, this will be finished and released by the end of the week. Totally.
Onslaught Six

Re: [Almost Done] Results May Vary (Updated 4/9)

Post by Onslaught Six »

Somehow pulled this spiffy name out of my ass. Results May Vary. I think it's a fitting name, considering how drastically it alters the traditional Doom gameplay--it'll be Different, see! With the varying.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Well, I did a bunch of item-adding stuff today. I made the Armour Bonuses into Armour Shards (They're still helmets, though) and added a Health Bottle item. Basically, it's the one pickup from Hexen that let you carry around health to use later, only these only restore 5 health. I also added a screenshot of the Armour Shards and the Good Armour.

I played through a good bit of E1 on UV with the mod in place today, and it seemed unbalanced in places. I think it's too easy to get Nails for one thing--or at least, get a lot of them, so you end up using the Nailgun a whole lot--which would be fine if it were slightly less powerful. I'm introducing a bit of a countermeasure to that now (Demons are less affected by the Nailgun weapons than other enemies) and such. I'm also starting to think maybe I'm too generous with the crap the Dehumans are dropping in their backpacks...

I also added a Quad Damage to replace the Chainsaw. Now that I think about it, though, there's still the Berserk Pack to replace, so I might switch the Quad Damage to replace that, and put some other powerup or weapon over the Chainsaw. I dunno yet.

Still haven't decided if I want to add the rocket launcher or not. The sprite's basically done, I just need to do firing animations for it.

I may or may not release a beta version before the finished product, to see how it balances for everybody else.
Nightmare Doom

Post by Nightmare Doom »

As for the Super Shotgun, you probably use the PSX Final Doom SS sprites.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Nightmare Doom wrote:As for the Super Shotgun, you probably use the PSX Final Doom SS sprites.
No, because those are just the regular SSG sprites but scaled down more.

It's actually already done, though, did I forget to point out that I posted pics?
Nightmare Doom

Post by Nightmare Doom »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Nightmare Doom wrote:As for the Super Shotgun, you probably use the PSX Final Doom SS sprites.
No, because those are just the regular SSG sprites but scaled down more.
The barrels in the original SSG are croquet if you look very closely and the PSX Final Doom SSG is just an improved version since they corrected the alignment of the barrels.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

It's friday! Any decisions made?
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

I dunno how calendars work where you live, but in my part of the world, weeks start on Sunday. :p

I've got a reasonable beta ready, though. The only things currently missing are the Electro pain states for the Imp and possibly the Grenadier--though I may decide not to use that. I think the Quad Damage is still missing its inventory sprite, too. And, of course, something to replace the Berserk Pack--but I'll just leave it for now, I guess.

So yeah. I'll release a Preliminary Beta for various testing tonight. Basically, play around with it, and not just in default Doom/Doom II--play it with E1 replacements, or megawads, or KDIZD if it'll work. Will it? I dunno. Maybe. Lemme know if things feel too imbalanced or anything--weapons too powerful/slow/etc.

And don't just IDKFA for all the weapons, shoot all of them, and say that's done. There's more to it than that. >.>
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

Alright, IDFA it is. Can't wait to try. :3
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

chronoteeth wrote:Alright, IDFA it is. Can't wait to try. :3
Nooo! >.>

I'm not vehemently 'opposed' to just doing that and checking out the weapons, but a lot of the stuff I've done with it so far is focused more on the progression of the game itself than just Hey Look New Weapons. It's not even a "weapons mod" as such, more of a general gameplay change mod...

Anyway. Here.

http://onslaughtsix.googlepages.com/ResultsMayVary.zip

It's not finished. The Quad Damage's inventory sprite is misaligned. The Imp has no Pain.Electro state yet, and doing so would require adding just slightly more graphics to the WAD, which I'm not quite ready for yet. There's no rocket launcher or anything yet. Have fun! Enjoy! Give feedback as you like, because I want this to be fun and balanced.
chronoteeth

Re: [Public Beta! Page 1 or 2] Results May Vary (Updated 4/11)

Post by chronoteeth »

Here's what I have:

The pistol feels off. Either it's the large blue to purple plasma balls and red muzzle flash, or the thin-ness of the gun, it just feels kinda odd. Sound gets annoying after a while too.

Shotgun is fine, great gun. Just fix the alignment, thats all.

Super shotgun works, but seems kinda boring, plus no firing sound.

Nailgun works fine too, but maybe slightly faster speeds? If a more sharper sound can be found too, thats alright, but it's fine nonetheless.

Super nailgun seems to big for its size. Much too much like a minigun, whereas the super nailgun from the quakes were sorta like a small minigun. Plus, whats with the insta-full spin when switching? Also, full cooldown after a short shot can be a bit annoying.

GL is fun to use, especially because of the random pitch changes, and the sprites are fine too. It just needs a muzzle fire, and maybe a different kick back. Him holding it to the side real quick and then going back? It just feels odd.

That lightning gun, while slow, does the job. It's alright.

BFG seems kinda lame. Overused sprites, same attack projectiles as plasma pistol, and stock bfg sounds are kinda lame.

Back pack seems kinda large for the amount of ammo it brings, others are alright.

I like how the more damage you take, the slower you go.

It's just a beta, but it's on the right tracks, and can't wait to see the new weapons. Maybe doom 1 support? Here's to hoping so, because it feels more fitting in doom 1. Here's some better shotgun pick up sprites for ya.
Attachments
SHTPA0.PNG
SHTPA0.PNG (1.07 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Last edited by chronoteeth on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I made a little tweak of this. If you don't want me to do this, tell me and I'll take it down. If you want to use any of it, go ahead.

http://thekins.googlepages.com/ResultsMayVary-Kins.zip

Main changes:

- Grenade has gravity
- Super Shotgun and Grenade Launcher have firing sounds
- Many sounds upgraded to the QTEST versions (same sound, higher bitrate)
- Armor shards given the Quake 2 sound
- Shotgun and Grenade Launcher sounds changed (modified versions of Quake 1/QTEST sounds)
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

I feel the weapons too slow, however, as far as I understand, that's the intention. Still, I think the projectiles should be much more fancy. They look to plain, too dry :P . Some custom trails, nice explotions, actor-based particles, and that stuff always helps (as long as they arent abused).
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

DBThanatos wrote:I feel the weapons too slow
It makes up for it in power.
Chronoteeth wrote:The pistol feels off. Either it's the large blue to purple plasma balls and red muzzle flash, or the thin-ness of the gun, it just feels kinda odd. Sound gets annoying after a while too.
I'd say it is the purple plasma balls and the red muzzle flash.

Supershotgun feels a bit too slow.

BFG, the green energy, does not fit with the purple plasma balls.

Grenade Launcher was the best weapon, IMO.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”