[Project]Hexen II Monsters

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nightmare Doom

Re: [Project]Hexen II Monsters

Post by Nightmare Doom »

I think you should be creating new sprites from scratch that actually represents the actual monsters from Hexen II rather than using stock sprites.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

I think you should be creating new sprites from scratch that actually represents the actual monsters from Hexen II rather than using stock sprites.
I disagree, these really fit in well with the existing graphics and new ones, especially those created from 3d model shots just look bizarre next to them. Also Ghastly, from what I can tell from Dream of Magic, the fire imps are simply the Heretic imps, but black and yellow/brown, and they are a bit more aggressive and nasty. Infact I even have recoloured sprites that almost match them leftover from an attempt to make a Gargoyle monster for the beastiery!

Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

-MUCH- easier said than done, Nightmare. Recolors and minor edits are, actually, the only things I can really do for sprites. If you open up Microsoft Paint and try making a sprite in an hour, I guarantee it'll look better than something that'll take me a week, lol. I'm staying as far away from model rips as I can, since .mdl model rips don't look too good unless they're high-res, and they definately won't blend in with the Hexen sprites.

I have the recolor figured out for the iron golem, but I don't really have a sprite set that would fit (besides a monster that bleeds :P). Does it look like iron, or stone?: Image

@Toe (Who posted just before I did): Nice recolor! Do you have a whole set, or just the one sprite, and do you still intend to make a gargoyle monster for the beastiary? I originally tried an edited afrit, since it's larger, and seems a little cooler, but gargoyles'd be much easier.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Looks like a stone golem to me, and he's sprinting which is a bit bizarre for a lumbering metal man. :?

Oh, btw, I sent you the sprites, I gave up on that monster ages ago.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

The iron golem wasn't exactly a lumbering metal man, he was surprisingly quick (running with his shoulder down, slamming into you and throwing you across the room is a good example of this). I doubt I'll use the Heretic golem set, I was just testing the recolor.

Thanks for the sprites! I'll get the decorate worked out for it.
MidoriMan

Post by MidoriMan »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:-MUCH- easier said than done, Nightmare. Recolors and minor edits are, actually, the only things I can really do for sprites. If you open up Microsoft Paint and try making a sprite in an hour, I guarantee it'll look better than something that'll take me a week, lol. I'm staying as far away from model rips as I can, since .mdl model rips don't look too good unless they're high-res, and they definately won't blend in with the Hexen sprites.

I have the recolor figured out for the iron golem, but I don't really have a sprite set that would fit (besides a monster that bleeds :P). Does it look like iron, or stone?: Image

@Toe (Who posted just before I did): Nice recolor! Do you have a whole set, or just the one sprite, and do you still intend to make a gargoyle monster for the beastiary? I originally tried an edited afrit, since it's larger, and seems a little cooler, but gargoyles'd be much easier.
Actually, if you're using Photoshop, you can increase the contrast by about fifty and be able to achieve an 'Iron' effect.

Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Thanks, that looks great! I'm still looking for a fitting sprite set for it, though.

Fire imp is done!
Gez

Post by Gez »

What about Eriance's ghoul as a base? It's a bit like the mummy/golem, but with a more jagged, pointy shape. You can desaturate and increase the contrast with IrfanView to make it metallic so that it'll look made of metal...
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

I went and used the Heretic golem. The ghoul didn't hold the constrast as well, for some reason. As it turns out, the 'iron golem' I was making was the stone golem, and the iron golem's a completely different version, lol. Nevertheless, I've made both, and the iron's almost done.

Special thanks to my little brother for the new death animation: Image

The iron golem just needs some kind of ruby in its forehead, and a ranged attack, and it's done. Also, the ice imp is done, and the crystal golem will be pretty easy. The mummy would be fairly easy for me to code (A couple of A_JumpIfHealthLowers, if I'm not mistaken, right Thanatos?), but it's sprites would be some of the hardest.

Here's a screenshot of the golems: Image
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Just to let you all know, I haven't given up on this just yet. I haven't found any sprite sets that fit any of the monsters, but I have the code for the really complicated ones, like the werejaguars and mummy. I still need someone to put that gem on the iron golem's forehead (I'm terrible at stuff like that), and maybe to put that skull on the skull wizard.

I think low-res model rips of the hardest monsters, like the mummy, would be the only way, short of whole new sprite sets made specifically for this, to actually get sprites for them that might fit the other Hexen monsters, but it still might not fit right. What do you guys think?

I'll post a beta of the monsters, soon, so you all can take a look at it.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Here's the beta: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BJ07HMNN, http://www.zshare.net/download/11313202635e654a/.

As usual, I'd rather people not use it's resources until the wad is completely done. For the hardest monsters, such as the mummy or werejaguar, should I use a model viewer to get low-res rips? Someone might be able to make them look more Hexen-y.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Btw you have my permission to use the ghoul 3 archer but ask eriance too first.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Cutmanmike wrote:Btw you have my permission to use the ghoul 3 archer but ask eriance too first.
I have no problem with people using my sprites :D
Wagi

Post by Wagi »

About that death sequence. Everything about it except for the torso looks good. The torso keeps it's angle straight up always and looks rather cheesy. If I were to make a monster that falls apart like that, I'd make it seperate chunks of rock that would be independent objects.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Nah, model rips. That ruins the whole point. There's a sprite set I have somewhat based on the Imp that looks like Anubis, or some such. If you put that on all fours it would be a start. Could you post a picture of the mummy? I don't remember what it looks like.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”