Wolfen

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Phucket

Re: Wolfen

Post by Phucket »

I just tried it out. It was okay, but it could use some improvements. I noticed that a lot of the enemies seemed to be lacking death animations. The bone fish for example, just disappeared when you killed them. No animations or anything. I also think it would have looked better without the 3D model sprites. In all honesty, they just look really tacky when you use them as sprites. I liked the musket though. I've always wanted to see a musket in Doom.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

You guys do realize that Wolfen is pretty old at this point and this is just a update so that it works correctly with later version of ZDoom? While certainly not impossible for some of these "improvements" to occur, I think it's probably a little late to be suggesting anything. What should really be looked for are things that are broken and need to be fixed for proper gameplay.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

IMO, Wolfen was the first WAD (and is perhaps the only one so far) that showed the true power and atmosphere present in Hexen. And I include the original IWAD in that. When playing Wolfen for the first time I finally saw what Hexen was all about and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of play like I should have been able to with the full game.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

What Phobus said. I never got to this the first time because I'd assumed it was another Wolf3D remake but... whoa. :shock:
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

This makes me unhappy that I lost my Hexen in a data crash. Can someone summerize this wad for me so I don't die from curiosity?
Nash

Post by Nash »

How do I solve the clock puzzle in the ruined town?

I've tried ringing both bells with the clock's hand at every position but I still don't seem to progress...
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

You have to get the cog, put it in the clockwork part (just like in ZDCMP1) and then set then hour hand to the one before the time pointing upwards (the clock texture only seems to have 8 points on it). Then you must run to the bells and hit both of them in the period of time where both hands are pointing upwards... which is quite hard, but doable.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Phucket wrote:I just tried it out. It was okay, but it could use some improvements. I noticed that a lot of the enemies seemed to be lacking death animations. The bone fish for example, just disappeared when you killed them. No animations or anything.
That's because they aren't bone fish, actually. What they really are are lost souls...

That would be the one reproach I'd make about LWM's mods, usually new things with new sprites are really old things with old sprite names, just new graphics. This isn't a problem unless you have in your autoload things like a hi-res sprite pack... (Because graphics remapped by HIRESTEX cannot be overwritten.)

But it's very minor. In normal circumstances, it doesn't show.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

In case you haven't noticed, this was made in the DeHackEd days, when the only way to make new things was to take things from other games, give them new sprites and mess around with the behaviour a bit.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Where do I get the cog?

Also, just to see how old this mod is, take a look at the DECORATE lump; it's the old syntax!
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Concerning the cog:
Spoiler:
Phucket

Post by Phucket »

Damn it! Is that where you get the second weapon? I was just using my fists until I got to the part where I had to kill you (assuming that "Queen Mouse" is supposed to be you).
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

How am I supposed to press mana archon switch in swamp level? its too high to jump there.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

neoworm wrote:How am I supposed to press mana archon switch in swamp level? its too high to jump there.
Spoiler:
Nash

Post by Nash »

I still can't find the cog.
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”