[WIP] Virus - Episode 1 "Shareware Release"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Hmm... different colors for each direction a wall faces? I look forward to seeing your scripts for rotating polyobjects. :)

Ben2k9 wrote:no not that one (however i have played that one), it was basically "Descent in your PC!" and had a gimmick of using your desktop items as stuff, you flew round destroying Viruses and stuff, it came out in about 2000 or so
Opeartion: Inner Space? I think that was 1995...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Cutmanmike wrote:That needs adding to ours.
This one is probably even more useful on these boards:
Spoiler:
Oooh, I remember hired guns. A couple of friends of mine had it and I was trying to remember what it was called just the other day. I didn't play it much myself, but it always looked cool.

Anyway, back to Phobus' Virus...
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

@Risen: Fortunately for me I won't have to consider that, as I changed the plans around a little to have the textures be interchangeable and stuff, so I can get more out of them... plus anything that moves would be purple (such as the door you can just about see in the third screen)
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Looks whacky, like it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Certainly interesting looking. I find that solid colours disrupt the perception of movement with the player, but you've (hopefully) got enough variation in there to counter that problem.
Project Shadowcat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Enjay wrote:Certainly interesting looking. I find that solid colours disrupt the perception of movement with the player, but you've (hopefully) got enough variation in there to counter that problem.
The lighting level isn't 255, so that helps automatically.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Yeah, I found the thing that helps is to use a lower lighting level (224 is the highest I've used) as it helps give the place more feel. However, I will be sure to have no completely bland rooms, so as to make sure you can tell where you're going.
Project Shadowcat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

It does give an instant feeling of "arcade", though. Like, retro-style and shit.
I'm looking forward to this. :)
Risen

Post by Risen »

Didn't see the screens until now. I really like what you're doing with this.

Have you considered using GZDoom for this, so you can use models? Very low-poly models would fit right in here.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I've got no experience with model making, and I've already done most of the monsters as sprites (though the one I'm on now will take a long time, unless I think of an easier way to make it).

Otherwise, models don't seem like too bad an idea, and they would fit the idea quite nicely.
spoone

Post by spoone »

Phobus how long do you think it will take for this mod to get finished?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well... at the rate the Meshwalker is taking me, forever.

In reality, I reckon I could have the monsters done in a week or so (though school will start soon, so my estimates are subject to skew), quicker if I think of something easy to do for the two after this one.

After that, I'll draw up the titlepic, which won't take that long, and then find some title music... which will take hardly any time at all. So we'll call it 8 days from now and resources will be complete. The map... well, as I'll be highly motivated to do stuff with my creations, it'll go quite quickly, and as I'll have loads of ideas (spriting gives me time to think of mapping ideas) I'll be looking at about a week or two for that. So... at worst, I reckon a month, more likely about 3 weeks or so.

Don't hold me to it though. Things can happen.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

You should really see if someone can give you the models. Low-polys really would help the feel.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I like this - the old-school approach reminds me of the old Incentive Freescape games from the late 80's, like Driller and Total Eclipse.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

That looks fun to play! :D I'm certainly looking forward to this.

Return to “Levels”