Doom Enhanced - But what's enhanced?

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Ahh, okay.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

dudes who the hell cares, chill, this is hardly violent, the graphics are so bad anyway, i think it's great, it's more satisfying when you blow someone into chunks and they fly and bounce everywhere, like ragdoll physics, sure it's more realistic, it's also more satisfying to send someone flying backwards with a shotgun blast.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

Omg, I cant wait for this to be released, it looks awesome
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hello!

I haven't posted in this thread nearly as much as the other project, and that's because most of my changes don't really come out well in screenshots. Mostly just cleaning up code, adding new sound effect tricks (Fireballs now make appropriate burning noises as they fly past!) and adding tricks I never knew when starting out, like the ability to use random angles.

A release of some sort will probably come in a week or so once TAFE goes on break.
Juan "JacKThERiPPeR

Post by Juan "JacKThERiPPeR »

So when are you going to release it? :P
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

[quote="Juan "JacKThERiPPeR"]So when are you going to release it? :P[/quote]
Kinsie wrote:It's pretty much done and is just waiting for a new official Zdoom release.
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

Why wait for the next official release? That could be in, what, forever? I want my gratuitous amounts of disgusting gore now! :D
Burning5eraphim

Post by Burning5eraphim »

I second that. :D
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, I'll probably release it into the wild sometime soon. Recently I've been adding on an optional "items wad" that adds appropriate pickup sounds and suck effects to the items and weapons.
Zenon

Dissappearing Corpses FTL!!!!!

Post by Zenon »

Please, for the love of god, when you blow something to smithereens, dont make the pieces magically dissappear into thin air afterwards, it defeats the purpose of adding more violence/realism into the game
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

Now I know not everyone here is "in the industry", but as far as "growing trends go", I could tell you for a fact that we're headed towards FAR MORE violent content in gaming. In fact, modelling, texturing, and animating blood and gore and dismemberment are soon to be a thing of the past, because it's getting "tiresome" and "boring", so instead, artists are going to be replaced partially with programmers in the future, because instead of animating something to explode, for example, you can make algorithms and properties for every material in your game to react as it would in normal life (if not worse) to every action and/or reactionary force on it. So if you think that a guy getting his arm chopped off and leaving some blood splatters on a wall is violent, wait 'till you see what certain "progressive" companies (and yes, some of them German) are coming up with, such as real bodies with organs, limbs, and vital fluids that behave like real gooey flesh and explode without preanimation, blood that pours, stains, and dries, gibs that are made of dynamic flesh and bones, and - even more disturbingly - advanced A.I. that will give personalities and emotions to the person you're about to slaughter, so that you can hear him scream in fear and agony, call out for momma, then slowly suffocate to death while trying to stay alive as you pearce his chest with a hunting knife; and all the while you can hear the bubbling sounds of air escaping through the bloody gaping chest wound, just to give you moe of a sense of realism, as if you're really killed someone. Soldier Of Fortune 3 was rumoured to be one such game that aims to revolutionize the disturbingly desensitizing genre of gaming violence, but just how far they'll go is something we'll have to wait and see because (thank God) there are people who oppose violence in video games just as intensely and blindly as those who work to realize it.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Soldier of Fortune 2 still has some of the most realistic gore in any game I've played. That couldn't save it from being mediocre. Seriously, stealth missions where the alarms are triggered by an enemy just seeing you?! I especially like how it tried to get all serious by having characters and a story you were supposed to care about juxtaposed with mowing down fifty generic brown skinned terrorists, the last of which had his eyeballs scraped out with a knife. That's pretty much when I stopped caring.

The most fun I had with that game was noclipping through a wall, giving myself all the weapons with a cheat, killing everybody in the next room and then going back to trigger the cutscene in said room. Quite possibly the most surreal thing I've ever seen having a bunch of dead bodies talking to you. If you have this game, try it!

Oh...sorry! :oops: I went on a rant there when you mentioned Soldier of Fortune 3. But yeah, this mod is looking pretty good!
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

WTF is happening on the first screen!? Is that one zombie gibbed?!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Yup, that's gibbage all right.
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

Snarboo wrote:Soldier of Fortune 2 still has some of the most realistic gore in any game I've played. That couldn't save it from being mediocre. Seriously, stealth missions where the alarms are triggered by an enemy just seeing you?! I especially like how it tried to get all serious by having characters and a story you were supposed to care about juxtaposed with mowing down fifty generic brown skinned terrorists, the last of which had his eyeballs scraped out with a knife. That's pretty much when I stopped caring.

The most fun I had with that game was noclipping through a wall, giving myself all the weapons with a cheat, killing everybody in the next room and then going back to trigger the cutscene in said room. Quite possibly the most surreal thing I've ever seen having a bunch of dead bodies talking to you. If you have this game, try it!

Oh...sorry! :oops: I went on a rant there when you mentioned Soldier of Fortune 3. But yeah, this mod is looking pretty good!
No worries Snarboo. Everyone has either a positive rant or a negative rant about the game in question, so it's all good. And besides, what's good about games if you can't be reminded of specific moments in games which bring back nice memories when someone mentions the game? :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”