[KDiZD] Community Information Thread (Update Page 18)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Good to hear the project is almost complete!

You need to finish Netherworld after KDIZD is done! ;D
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I will ;)
Nightmare Doom

Post by Nightmare Doom »

jallamann wrote:When it's done.
Your beginning to sound like 3D Realms with Duke Nukem Forever.....
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

What do you expect? It's not like Torm and the gang are doing this instead of working or going to school. They do it in their spare time, and you can't set a deadline for amateur projects like you can with a newspaper.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Well, if someone would like to pay me enough to quit my day job, my freelance jobs, and then some; I'd be happy to do nothing but work on KDIZD until it was finished.

Since I don't see that happening, you'll just have to wait until I find the time to do so.
ace

Post by ace »

Like my title says...

Looking great. I am itching to play this now more than ever. Keep it up!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

jallamann wrote:It's not like Torm and the gang are doing this instead of working or going to school.
Well, sometimes I do, but don't tell my profs ;)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Risen wrote:if someone would like to pay me enough to quit my day job, my freelance jobs, and then some
Sorry to derail this a bit but I think that would ROCK! Imagine being paid and fed to make Doom wads!

I'd gladly shut my recording studio down if that was possible!
ace

Post by ace »

Well now that you mention it, it would be quite possible to make Doom wads and get paid for it, provided id Software makes a Doom 4 and for some reason decides to base it on WAD files. You'd just have to get hired to take up a job for that just as it were about to start. ;)
SMG M7

Post by SMG M7 »

Well, several of the mappers for Doom 3 were just plain old modders who were selected by ID. It's definately possible.
Ocarina
Location: Hell, but with less water (and demons) and more heat! Arizona!

Post by Ocarina »

I must say, this looks great! I'd love to play it when its finished.

If all these screens are any hint of the actual WADs, then this will be great!
Kristus

Post by Kristus »

SMG M7 wrote:Well, several of the mappers for Doom 3 were just plain old modders who were selected by ID. It's definately possible.
There were only 4 leveldesigners on Doom3, and it was many years since they were "plain old modders"
ace

Post by ace »

The only one I know of is Tim Willits, who got a job after he made Raven only a while after Doom II came out. I wasn't aware there were any others though...

But the chances of getting on the id staff for making a good Doom level nowadays would be nil. After all, level design in games today are no longer sector-based. It'd be pretty much useless. Your chances of getting on would be better if you made an unbelievably incredible Doom3 mod, and even then you'd still have to have some other experience or the like in game design, and even THEN you still wouldn't have a huge chance. Not how it works now from what I take...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think the only qualification mappers need today is to slap together something not too badly looking from prefabricated parts in the shortest amount of time possible. None of the games I played recently showed any innovation in level design. The graphics were all nice but the quality of the levels most definitely was not.
Kristus

Post by Kristus »

ace wrote:The only one I know of is Tim Willits, who got a job after he made Raven only a while after Doom II came out. I wasn't aware there were any others though...
Christian Antkov also used to make Doom levels.
Graf Zahl wrote:I think the only qualification mappers need today is to slap together something not too badly looking from prefabricated parts in the shortest amount of time possible. None of the games I played recently showed any innovation in level design. The graphics were all nice but the quality of the levels most definitely was not.
Sounds like what is goin on in the Doom community these days.

Return to “General”