[Oh gn0! I am teh suck!] Sounds in Zdoom suck!

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
starstrike

Sounds in Zdoom suck!

Post by starstrike »

I've said this before and ill say it again, the sounds in Zdoom suck monkey balls! I've played Zdoom like 3 or 4 years ago, and the sounds suck back then too. So i figure ill give it a try today, and yep, they still suck!

Because of this, i have always stuck to just the regular doom2.exe/doom.exe DOS versions. I have always hated Zdoom, mainly cause of this.

Here's a little advice to the makers of Zdoom...

Never try to alter an originals sound frequency, or sampling rate. Your not only making the sound worser, but increasing the file size as well. Blizzard Entertainment also made the same stupid mistake with warcraft2's battle.net edition. You guys are so noobish when it comes to sound editing.

And dont give me no BS about its my computer, cause i've tried zdoom on at least 5 computers in the past.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

you registered on this forum to post such flanderous crap such as this?

im going to let HotWax handle this now...
starstrike

Post by starstrike »

Bio Hazard wrote:you registered on this forum to post such flanderous crap such as this?

im going to let HotWax handle this now...
Dont get me wrong, Zdoom would be awesome if it was'nt for this.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Uh, you do know there's a samplerate option in the sound menu right?

It might fix the sounds being 'worser'.
starstrike

Post by starstrike »

SlayeR wrote:Uh, you do know there's a samplerate option in the sound menu right?.
Where? i dont see it. Is there a command line or something?
randi
Site Admin

Re: Sounds in Zdoom suck!

Post by randi »

starstrike wrote:You guys are so noobish when it comes to sound editing.
Oh shut up. The sounds aren't edited at all. If you hate it so much, set the sample rate to 11025 so that the playback code doesn't need to do linear interpolation to resample the sounds. But then Vorbis, MP3, MOD, and OPL synthesis music will sound worse. So will any sounds that aren't recorded at 11025 Hz, including the super shotgun's.

Now go away.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

First, make sure you have a newer version (I don't think 1.22 has that option). Get 60.cab from http://www.zdoom.org/files/lars. Then in options->sound options there should be an option to lower the sampling frequency.

EDIT: Too slow :oops:
starstrike

Post by starstrike »

Chris wrote:First, make sure you have a newer version (I don't think 1.22 has that option). Get 60.cab from http://www.zdoom.org/files/lars. Then in options->sound options there should be an option to lower the sampling frequency.

EDIT: Too slow :oops:
WOW, that version of Zdoom is awesome! Im confused, why have the version 1.22, be the main download for win32, when you have better versions such as this?

Also, i noticed that you took the FPS cap off of that version, why not do it with 1.22? What is the point of 1.22 anyway, why not use this?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

1.22 is the latest "stable" release, although the betas have been fairly stable in their own right. 1.22 will probably be removed once the current version in progress(which will be 2.1) is completed, reasonably bug free, and have the documentation updated.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Chris wrote:documentation updated.
i really dont think this will ever happen...

there is so much to write...

ive never seen a bug get tagged with something like that! :)
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

I've said this before and ill say it again, the sounds in Zdoom suck monkey balls! I've played Zdoom like 3 or 4 years ago, and the sounds suck back then too. So i figure ill give it a try today, and yep, they still suck!

Because of this, i have always stuck to just the regular doom2.exe/doom.exe DOS versions. I have always hated Zdoom, mainly cause of this.

Here's a little advice to the makers of Zdoom...

Never try to alter an originals sound frequency, or sampling rate. Your not only making the sound worser, but increasing the file size as well. Blizzard Entertainment also made the same stupid mistake with warcraft2's battle.net edition. You guys are so noobish when it comes to sound editing.

And dont give me no BS about its my computer, cause i've tried zdoom on at least 5 computers in the past.
Hm... someone who's more of a dumbass than me... this should be interesting.

First of all, Randy isn't, as far as I know, a noob at anything. At any rate, he's made more impressive stuff than you will ever make. I don't think you know how difficult it actually is to work with coding... I tried it once; it sucked ass.

Second, why the hell does the sound quality alone have everything to do with how good a game is? Did bad sound quality keep people from playing games like "Duke Nukem 1 and 2"? No, I don't think they did.

Third, ZDOOM is probably the best Doom port ever made. It does have a few bugs, but still, they will probably be fixed in the future.

Fourth, why are you being so bloody aggressive? I once started a thread which had some hostile statements, but it was nothing compared to this. Now, I normally wouldn't do this, as I'm making a few efforts to redeem myself of really stupid mistakes made in the past, but as you are such a retard, and being a complete bastard is my reputation; you are a fucking dumbass retard and you should get fangoriously devoured by some random gelatinous monster. And then, get digested... slowly... painfully... very painfully... as painfully as possible... And I'd watch the whole thing and laugh.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO GIEST!

nice post, i second all of that!
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO GIEST!

nice post, i second all of that!
I finally made a good post!? SWEET!!
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

You dummy, I'm glad it's all cleared up; once more "look before you leap... err, post" and RTFM. Works wonders. :)
starstrike

Post by starstrike »

giest118 wrote:why are you being so bloody aggressive?
Sorry, been in such a bad mood today, with life related issues. I wanted to come home and take my aggresion out on playing some lan DM with my friends, so since we have WIN XP only, i had to get a port.

The ports i downloaded, i was not happy with, but the version that chris told me to get was allright. peace.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”