[Fixed] A couple of annoying problems...

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Giest118

A couple of annoying problems...

Post by Giest118 »

Okay, I made a map where you fight a DOOM2-based monster (that is, the huge demon face-thing). Just to make the map more challenging, I put two of the boosshooter Things (those are the Things that shoot the skull-boxes). Now for the problem, the second bossshooter only does something when I play it on skill3 or higher, although I want it to appear on skills 1 and 2.

And now another problem, in the aforementioned map, the bossshooters don't do anyhting unless you fire a gun or something. This I didn't particularly have a problem with, since there are eight cyberdemons in the room anyway... but I want each bossshoter to react at the same time as the other one, but they don't. They are both in the exact same position, yet they hear me at different times. Now, I don't care who you are, what universe you're from, or how much you've f*cked up the Doom engine, but two things of the same type that are in the exact same place should not hear things at different times...

And then a third problem, in the same map (and a few others) when the music is supposed to loop, it DOES, but about a second after it IS supposed to loop. I mean... WHY!??

And in the aforementioned map (yes, I realize that it COULD BE the aforementioned map, but I want to make sure) there are some cyberdemons that can see through walls. Is that normal? IS IT!? NO, I DON'T THINK IT IS!! WHAT THE HELL!!??

Anyway, that's all I have to say...
Biff

Post by Biff »

Post your map as an attachment and some people here can check it out.

Shooters - is it possible that you have one flagged for skill 1&2 in the editor, while the other is flagged for skill3?

Music - I never noticed this problem, are you saying that there's a one-second silent pause in the music which you don't hear with doom2.exe? If so, the reason why probably has to do with how fmod plays. One second does not sound significant, just a little refreshing pause. :)

Cybers seeing through walls - no, not normal and it generally indicates a map-building faux-pas.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Okay, here is the wad and the music...

by the way, both of the bossshooters are set to appear on all skill levels, so I don't get it.... it makes no sense...
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

I checked in an editor. One of the spawners doesn't appear on the easy skill. You need to set the flag. You might think you got it, but you missed it. =)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

I like it when stupid people rant about stuff that's their own fault. It makes me feel better about some of my posts. :roll:
Biff

Post by Biff »

Nanami wrote:I checked in an editor. One of the spawners doesn't appear on the easy skill. You need to set the flag. You might think you got it, but you missed it. =)
Yep, I see that too. Also, a quick error check with WA reveals some problems which probably can cause the "see through walls" issue. Some sectors are not closed and some sectors have only two lines, etc. Giest, this usually means that when you have a sector enclosed by a number of lines, not all of the lines are identified as belonging to the enclosed sector. This can happen as you move things around, merge lines, etc. Some editors will reveal this easily in "sector hilight" mode. When you hilight a sector, the associated lines should brighten. Look for lines which don't brighten, check and fix their sector number assignment. Also look for lines elsewhere in the map which brighten, they are (usually) assigned in error to the sector in question. However, sometimes these things are done for special effects....
David Ferstat

Re: A couple of annoying problems...

Post by David Ferstat »

giest118 wrote:... Now, I don't care who you are, what universe you're from, or how much you've f*cked up the Doom engine, but two things of the same type that are in the exact same place should not hear things at different times...

I think you've said more than enough.

If you want someone to help you (by implication, Randy) then a less agressive tone will likely get better results.

After all, you catch more flies with jam than with vinegar.
Biff

Re: A couple of annoying problems...

Post by Biff »

David Ferstat wrote:
giest118 wrote:... Now, I don't care who you are, what universe you're from, or how much you've f*cked up the Doom engine, but two things of the same type that are in the exact same place should not hear things at different times...

I think you've said more than enough.
Yeah. I REALLY did not like those statements and wondered if it represented an attack on Randy or not. I figured some responsible person would comment.....
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

No, it wasn't an attack on Randy... he hasn't really f*cked up the Doom engine, but made it better. :) REALLY screwing around with the Doom engine would make it so that cyberdemons could jump 4000 units in the air and make their rockets 7 dimensional (if that's even possible...), you know, stuff like that...
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Alright, here's a new version of the map. The only difference is the fact that the second bossshooter is now set for all skill levels. But, the problem still exists. Hm...
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Nice recovery!!!

NOT!

I promise to never, ever do that again.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Recovery? From what?

And besides anything else, you're off the friggin' topic, dude.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

OH NO! NOT OFF THE FRIGGIN' TOPIC!!!11ONEONE I MUST REPENT!!!!!!!!

Anyway, more seriously, anyone out there got a chance to play PoP: Sands of Time yet? I liked the original games greatly, but I'm wondering how well the series fared entrace (again) into the 3D realm. Apparently it's been getting good reviews, but then most review sites aren't actually worth a damn, so what do you guys think?
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

I think you're an ass hole.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Awwww, how sweet. I think you're a hotheaded newbie who needs to pull his head out of his ass. Merry Christmas.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”