[Not a bug] Monsters hear you SCREAM!

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Monsters hear you SCREAM!

Post by Cutmanmike »

Let me wrap that subject name up:

Monsters wake up (start attacking/ come after you/ hear you etc) after you fall from a distance with falling damage on. I don't think this was meant to happen was it?
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

They probably run to spectate the stupidity of falling from an height :-D. Man, if something i hated was falling i'd want the satisfaction of seeing it dead :-D.

:twisted:
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Ah, well, another great movie tag-line disproved. :)
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Lexus Alyus wrote:They probably run to spectate the stupidity of falling from an height :-D. Man, if something i hated was falling i'd want the satisfaction of seeing it dead :-D.

Not if you survive the fall
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This behavior is fully intentional and not a bug. Falling damage is a Hexen feature and Hexen already alerted all monsters when this happened.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It makes sense anyway.

Player (falling): Nyaaaaaaaaaa! (crump) Aieeee!

Imp: Did you hear that?

Demon: Hear what?

Imp: Never mind, must be my imagination. Just keep jogging on the spot.

Way to make the player feel like Lexus. :)
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

But what if they're a doom-mile away eh? Well I guess you could say the same with using punch at the same distance
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

While we're on the subject...

The silent punch wakes monsters up when you attack! Please fix!

The idling chainsaw (which makes noise) won't wake up monsters, but it will in the attack frames. Fix this too Randy.

Grunting when you push a wall or land from a height doesn't wake up monsters. This should be fixed as well.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I don't think they should be fixed... these were the behavoirs in Doom, so it would break compatibility... plus it would be damn annoying... although I think the fist is okay being silent... but it would probobly be the doom code that makes it wake up monsters on attack. This kinda makes sense because when the monsters screaming in pain from the punch, all the monsters are alerted (although, I kinda used the term screaming rather loose, as the punch is pritty weak :-D).

As for the monsters spectating, it's kinda cool that :-D, and if you survive a fall that you weren't supposed to and there is no way out then the monsters can point and laugh in your general direction :-D. Randy should implement extra frames for monsters pointing and laughing in your general direction :-D.

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nanami wrote:While we're on the subject...

The silent punch wakes monsters up when you attack! Please fix!

The idling chainsaw (which makes noise) won't wake up monsters, but it will in the attack frames. Fix this too Randy.

Grunting when you push a wall or land from a height doesn't wake up monsters. This should be fixed as well.

Please don't! This all is well established Doom behavior and should remain as it is (I sincerely hope that this post was a joke ;) )
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think the things Nanami suggests are good ones, and it's not the first time they have been suggested. GADoom has at least some of them. I'd also like an impactless swing of the Heretic and Hexen melee weapons to be silent too. Of course, this would all have to be compat optioned, because many people do take advantage of the ability to wake monsters by punching the air.

BTW, the Strife punch dagger is not only silent to swing, but provides you with a silent kill too (as maybe does at least one of the crossbows - can't remember). Or at least it won't set off the alarms. Can't remember what effect it has on nearby enemies - I think they don't hear it. I'm sure we have all done that thing in strife where you talk to a peasant who gives you (for a price) the wonderful piece of information that you can use the punch dagger to kill some one without setting off the alarms, and then killed him to test his theory. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The chainsaw thing is very bad. This will break any level big time (even if it does make sense in real life!) Even with a compatibility flag this is such a massive behavioral change that this flag should be off by default so as a result the whole feature would be rather useless because most people never go into an options menu.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

First thing I do after installing a fresh copy of Zdoom is go into the options menu. After setting up the obvious, essential stuff (keys, mouse etc) I set up my visual and gameplay preferences: whether to use translucency or fuzz, whether to have puffs or particles, pick my crosshair, check status bar stretching is on and pick a wipe type. Then I go to the console and turn on alphatransparency for the rocket explosions (why isn't that on the menu?)

So, I maybe only use it once or twice when I first install Zdoom, but I do use it and I would probably opt to have a noisy chainsaw.

But, I agree these should all be off by default because they would be kind of hidden. So we'd get endless posts about how Zdoom suXors because you cant hear the marine fisting :shock:

Oh, and for those that don't know:

addrocketexplosion 1

Gives additive translucency to the rocket explosion. Used to be on by default but not anymore, can also be set via dehacked, not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

It was actually... sarcasm.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nanami wrote:It was actually... sarcasm.
Dammit! :oops:

Ahh well, these things have been requested before, so I can't be the only one who thinks they might be useful. :P

Not that I really expect them to be included in Zdoom any time soon.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”