Blood on sprites?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Not to mention LWM's models look HORRIBLY out of place with the rest of the doom world.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Nmn wrote:Such look badly.
Only if you don't edit them afterwards... though that would rather negate the speed of making models ;).
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Nash wrote:The problem with LWM's rendered sprites is that they were modelled in such a way that you can see the seams between the limbs. What she did was she just put together a bunch of primitives on top of each other. This makes the models look kind of amateur-ish. :/

I don't blame her though because DOGA's modelling tools are very limited, the last time I tried it. Back then she pointed to a link to the exact version she used for her models and I wasn't impressed with the program.

She could have used box modelling techniques or better yet, sub division modelling. There's a freeware modelling tool that can do all that called Anim8or and some of the models that were made in Anim8or are breath-taking.
BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

Nice to see I'm not the sole person in the universe with these. My toughts exactly nigga! :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

nmn - werd up yo, sup homie

Anyway, back on topic - for people that DO use pre-rendered models for their sprites, the idea of "damage skins" are somewhat possible, but the problem with A_JumpIfHealthLower is that you probably won't have enough frames to put the damaged skins. You only have 26 frames after all. :(

Which really sucks because I've been toying around with pre-rendered models and it's such a shame that I can only make 4-frame walk animations. Imagine how much better the game will look with characters that have 32-frame walk animations...

And before someone says, "3-d models sux0rz, pixel art 4eva" - yes, I do agree too, I myself prefer spriting to modelling (still new to this modelling stuff), but it gets VERY tiring when I have to sprite 8 direction sprites. Not to mention that it's hard to get them perspectively correct. I love spriting side-scrolling platform game sprites though. :D I wonder how did they manage to make damn smooth sprites with the Metal Slug games though. o_O
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:nmn - werd up yo, sup homie

Anyway, back on topic - for people that DO use pre-rendered models for their sprites, the idea of "damage skins" are somewhat possible, but the problem with A_JumpIfHealthLower is that you probably won't have enough frames to put the damaged skins. You only have 26 frames after all. :(
Just use a different sprite. There are some monsters in Hexen and Strife that use more than 26 frames.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Nash wrote: Which really sucks because I've been toying around with pre-rendered models and it's such a shame that I can only make 4-frame walk animations. Imagine how much better the game will look with characters that have 32-frame walk animations...
With decorate You can create much longer and smoother animations. I only needed to make a sprite of 6 frame-long animation to see it looked much better than plain 4 frame anims.
Nash wrote: And before someone says, "3-d models sux0rz, pixel art 4eva" - yes, I do agree too, I myself prefer spriting to modelling (still new to this modelling stuff), but it gets VERY tiring when I have to sprite 8 direction sprites. Not to mention that it's hard to get them perspectively correct. I love spriting side-scrolling platform game sprites though. :D I wonder how did they manage to make damn smooth sprites with the Metal Slug games though. o_O
Yes, getting everything done in proper perspectives and animation (so one ensures it's all correct) requires many years of practice IMO. Sure one could learn this stuff, but then making all the frames is a real pain.
There are many techniques on making pixel-artized sprites smooth, like antialiasing ;)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I do things the good oldpixel by pixel paint way. It seems to work, as the two monsters I've finished so far look fine.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”