Fix last few bugs in it and add Chex Quest as an IWAD

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Bio Hazard wrote:Just to settle the debate on wether or not Chex Quest contians UD:
Yes it does:
OK, on checking the output file, your copy clearly does contain UD. Your copy, therefore, cannot be the original. At some point, it would seem that someone has merged Chex with the Ultimate Doom IWAD and released it. As chaoscentral said, The original serial box version was a single episode using a Doom1 shareware WAD with all the entries replaced. It did not contain and maps from other episodes. I have a copy somewhere, but can't find it.

Presumably you could grab the ver 1.9 shareware Doom, merge it with your Chex IWAD and essentially have a restored full Ultimate Doom IWAD.

As for getting the dehacked patch out of the exe, it is possible. I did it some time back. You need to set up dehacked with the same exe version as the chex quest one (which may be difficult these days). Set the regular, unhacked exe as your normal one and chex.exe as the hacked one in dehacked.ini. Then you start dehacked and press S (save). The differences between the 2 exe's are then saved to a dehacked patch. IIRC, the only changes are strings. No behaviour is altered.

wildweasel, are you sure chex2 was meant to run with chex1 as you described? I have chex 1, 2 and 3 somewhere (IIRC Chex 3 was unfinished) and I recall loading 2 and 3 on top of a regular IWAD. But that was some time ago so I could be wrong. There were certainly additional sprites and items in the add ons that wouldn't have been in the original and also wouldn't easily work with just the -file parameter in a vanilla exe.
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Enjay, why not find a copy and post it, then?

I mean, it IS freeware. As far as I know.

Just seems a little bizarre that two copies would contain all those levels and they're probably from two different sources.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'll dig out my Chex Quest CD later and investigate it. Unfortunately, I don't have Chex Quest 2, though Underdogs' copy of it seems to be the exact one that used to be on the Chex website.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Well, after DLing a few of copies, including from the underdogs, I looks like I'm wrong and my memory was playing tricks on me. All versions had maps from all 4 episodes and the original episode menu graphics. What's more, with a plasma gun and BFG replacement it couldn't have been a copy of the SW version or they wouldn't have worked.

Interestingly, running the the game using the included exe files, the episode choice menu does not come up and you are taken straight to E1M1 when you start a game an pick your difficulty. So the exe was altered more than I thought.

So, short version - there is included content from id but when you play the game normally, that content cannot be accessed. Kind of like hot coffee, or not.

What's more, one of the versions I got (from http://www.doomlegends.com/chexquest/ ) was the full version (86 MB download). With it came a windows interface and cool intro and ending movies that I had not seen before. Presumably all the stuff that was on the original distribution disk. Worth grabbing if you have a decent connection speed.
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

So, why couldn't it be used as an IWAD, again? :P

The cool intro and outro movies could even be added, since ZDoom has movie support, as was mentioned in some other topic. And it isn't like it's being used yet, so it'd be good to show how the feature is used.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

My copy is straight off the chex quest CD

and like weasel I got my CD out of the cerial box the day it came out.

I decided to check by getting out my CQ CD and lumplisting CHEX.WAD from there and I get the same listing.

oooh! Chex Quest 2 is chock full of resources! I might be able to continue on ZCQ:FGB sometime :)
(i'll just need someone to DECORATE all the monsters and i'll be good to go!)
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

I have the cereal edition and it has levels from episodes 2 and 3. I can take a screenie of it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, as I said, it does seem to contain those levels. I guess the thing that threw me was that the exe has been modified to skip the "which episode" menu. I have ripped the WAD apart before, but my fuzzy memory was remembering that there was only one episode's worth of levels in there. That was wrong. They're all there, but only the single episode is accessible if played using the regular chex exe.

Why not include it as a IWAD? Well, I'd say even more so now because it's a cheap and possibly even illegal hack. To do it properly, you wouldn't just have to add it to the IWAD list, but make it skip the episode choice (which uses normal Doom graphics and names, so looks out of place). Also, there are the changes to names etc in pickup messages and so on. In other words, as it is at present, Chex works but does not behave as the original release did. In addition, extra Zdoom stuff would be wrong. There isn't a drop of blood in chex, but the bad guys leave dripping blood decals all over the walls in Zdoom. Simply including Chex as a IWAD would mean you were playing a buggy, flawed game. So, it needs more than just being added to the list, it needs to be supported as an additional game (albeit with minimal changes).
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Enjay wrote:Why not include it as a IWAD? Well, I'd say even more so now because it's a cheap and possibly even illegal hack.
Well, being as how it was distributed and iD didn't care..
Enjay wrote:To do it properly, you wouldn't just have to add it to the IWAD list, but make it skip the episode choice (which uses normal Doom graphics and names, so looks out of place).
And? That wouldn't be much work.
Enjay wrote: Also, there are the changes to names etc in pickup messages and so on.
someone mentioned a dehacked patch.
Enjay wrote: In other words, as it is at present, Chex works but does not behave as the original release did. In addition, extra Zdoom stuff would be wrong. There isn't a drop of blood in chex, but the bad guys leave dripping blood decals all over the walls in Zdoom.
Unless you aren't using Decals due to processor issues, like me. Heck, couldn't they be changed to green? <Soccermom> Oh my good, look at all that soggy cereal!
Enjay wrote: Simply including Chex as a IWAD would mean you were playing a buggy, flawed game. So, it needs more than just being added to the list, it needs to be supported as an additional game (albeit with minimal changes).
And those minimal problems would be supporting an entirely new IWAD that no other source port seems to, which actually isn't THAT bad of a free game.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”