Add other IWads to Zdoom start up list!!!!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

solarsnowfall

Add other IWads to Zdoom start up list!!!!

Post by solarsnowfall »

Zdoom recognises Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, Tnt.wad, and Plutonia.wad at the start up so you can pick wich game you play. Maybe there could be a config or ini file in the Zdoom folder that players could manually ad other Iwads to the list like Eternal or Icarus. Or maybe it could autodetect other Iwads. Don't think this one would be very difficult.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

while this is an interesting idea, I have to correct you on something..

Eternal Doom and Icarus are not iwads. they are pwads.

also to mention if you wanted this to work you'd have to modify the wads to include EVERYTHING from Doom II graphic and sound wise...otherwise it wouldn't work.

edit: spelling error >_<
anonone

Post by anonone »

Right. Though it might be kind of interesting to have an addition to the IWAD menu at startup -- maybe a list of all PWADs in a known pwad folder (specifiable via the .ini), so you choose your IWAD, then a PWAD, then run.
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

Well merging the wads wouldn't be difficult at all. Will this allow Zdoom to atuodetect them at present? Or was that just implied in the situation of my suggestion?
anonone

Post by anonone »

The IWADs ZDoom detects are hardcoded, if I remember right. Merging the original IWAD content into the PWAD won't work.
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

Even if it were named Doom.wad? Back up Doom, but a new feature would be nice ;)
anonone

Post by anonone »

Yeah -- if it was named Doom.wad, then it'd work. The names are what's hardcoded.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If a config option was added (and I have to say, it's not something I feel is especially useful) then the WAD being a PWAD shouldn't matter. The config option would just have to include a way of telling which IWAD to load the PWAD with. Then, you click on (eg) Eternal Doom in your menu and Zdoom automatically loads Eternal Doom and the Doom2 IWAD. That's pretty much what happens when you load HexenDD. HexenDD is not a full IWAD, so Zdoom loads it on top of the original Hexen IWAD.
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

D: Chex Quest!
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

Ah yes, the cereal box mod
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No way this will work automatically. You'd need at least a config file to specify everything else needed to load a WAD. And experience tells me that this will already be too much for those who demand this most.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Graf Zahl wrote:No way this will work automatically. You'd need at least a config file to specify everything else needed to load a WAD. And experience tells me that this will already be too much for those who demand this most.
In other words, the people who would use this and make a config file which lists all their PWADs are the people who would just make the shortcuts or whatever anyway. This isn't automatic enough for the people who want it.

While ZDoom could pop up a list of all the PWADs in your directory (all .wad's which are not IWADs), there is absolutly no way for ZDoom to tell automatically which IWADs to load those PWADs with. Not through detection or deduction.
anonone wrote:Right. Though it might be kind of interesting to have an addition to the IWAD menu at startup -- maybe a list of all PWADs in a known pwad folder (specifiable via the .ini), so you choose your IWAD, then a PWAD, then run.
And while this would work (especially if it remembered which IWAD's you've used with which PWADs), this is basically just a launcher anyway, and there are already a few of those, so no real significant reason to include that with ZDoom. ZDoom Launcher Wiki Page.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Zippy wrote:In other words, the people who would use this and make a config file which lists all their PWADs are the people who would just make the shortcuts or whatever anyway. This isn't automatic enough for the people who want it.
I took it more that Graf possibly meant the people who want the simplicity of being able to click an auto-generated menu option when Zdoom starts are the ones least likely to dive into a text config file and edit it to include the options they want :?:
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

ZDL has configurable IWADS :)
</ad>
timmie

Post by timmie »

anonone wrote:Yeah -- if it was named Doom.wad, then it'd work. The names are what's hardcoded.
I believe it also tests for certain lumps depending on the filename.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”