A way to make headshots?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Vader

Post by Vader »

HobbsTiger1 wrote:Look up/Look down (I use it in Doom and Heretic/Hexen) plus jumping.
Urgh, that the way I played Duke3d the first time!
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

Ah, I suppose I could turn on autoaim. I mainly did this to challenge myself, but now that I've completed Doom/Doom II/TNT/Plutonia doing it, I could probably go back to using autoaim.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Headshots in Doom? With the unproper colision and sprites? This sounds redicolously redicolous :P
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

I actually got flamed for suggesting this in #zdoom.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't really suppose the headshot suggestion would actually be practical but I do like it.

I regularly "headshot" the badguys because I like to know that I have put a bullet in their head - even though in reality it makes no difference at all - and I quite often tend to line my weapons up with their heads. Somewhere in my mind's eye, I see the zombie with a stupid, surprised expression on his face as my shot opens up his cranium. It'd be nice if there was something in Zdoom that meant me placing the shot like that actually did make a difference - even if it was a bit crude - at least I'd know I actually had done a headshot - kind of. :)
Cptschrodinger

Post by Cptschrodinger »

Heh, Enjays story made me all warm inside ^_^
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Five years on, I can't remember if it was in Delta Force (1999) or in Soldier of Fortune (2000) that I first encountered a game where headshots were a workable strategy. With two pistol shots to the torso needed for a kill versus a single headshot, all of a sudden accuracy became so much more valuable. :)
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Graf Zahl wrote:Welcome to the stone age... :?
Hey, I nevenr even thought about mouselook until HL: Counter-strike came out. That was the first time I ever even heard of Mouse + Keyboard as practical use.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Half Life original for me. Though the next time I saw it was AvP 2 (though hat only counts for keyboard/mouse combos for FPS, strategy games and Worms had that combo ages ago.)

Also, some console games used a version of that (one stick for walking, the other for looking and buttons for other functions).
Belial

Post by Belial »

I'm glad a friend of mine told me of ~+mlook in Quake or I would've played it with my Doom mouse+keyboard config. :D

I've been using mouselook since Descent 2, if that could be called mouselook. Having 4 dedicated strafe keys was a must for playing Insane difficulty.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Heh. Just remembered Dark Forces. That had what you might call half-mouselook. You could pan from side to side with the mouse, but you still had to use keys to look up and down. Bleh. :)
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Shit, I played with keys all the way up until Quake 3. I felt like such a dipshit when everyone owned my ass cause I couldn't aim. I still can't, but at least I learned the wonder of the mouse. Then it took an HL mod called The Ship to get me away from arrow keys and to the wonderful world of WASD. I'm still sucking ass, but at least I'm... no, no, I'm not any better. I'm going to kill myself now.
Belial

Post by Belial »

David Ferstat wrote:Heh. Just remembered Dark Forces. That had what you might call half-mouselook. You could pan from side to side with the mouse, but you still had to use keys to look up and down. Bleh. :)
If by panning you mean turning then that was nothing new obviously. :)

BTW: A great game that is. Much better than it's sequel IMO.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Belial wrote:
David Ferstat wrote:Heh. Just remembered Dark Forces. That had what you might call half-mouselook. You could pan from side to side with the mouse, but you still had to use keys to look up and down. Bleh. :)
If by panning you mean turning then that was nothing new obviously. :)

BTW: A great game that is. Much better than it's sequel IMO.
Dunno about "much better". Even now, about eight (OMG! Eight years on! ) I still think that level 9 (Refuelling Station) is one of the most fun levels of any game I've played, if for no other reason than the astonishing architecture.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Jedi Knight is one of my all-time favorite games. There are so many levels with an enormous scale. The story is good and even the cheesy live-action cutscenes add something. It's also a lot of fun to be able to pick your force powers and choose the light or dark side. The force power stars also make it very much worth it to look for all the secrets on levels.

The light saber is awesome, although saber-to-saber combat is very flawed. It was too much hack, hack, dodge, hack, etc. You could use nothing but the light saber for long stretches because of the laser fire blocking.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”