The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JCGemX

Re: The Guncaster - 3.888b

Post by JCGemX »

I discovered a bug, apparently, the newer versions of GZ broke the health regen.
(not the one you get from equipping the "Bishop", but the one you can set up in the "Here Be Dragons" menu)

Not a big deal, but I thought I would mention it.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

A couple of bugs I've noticed:
-The Pulveriser's lead ball does not alert enemies when fired.

-In GZD 4.10, the Augur has a problem where it doesn't shoot where you are aiming. Depending on what angle you are facing relative to North, the shot will fired off to the right of your point of aim. It is most noticeable when aiming in a North-West direction.
Unregret
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 9+1

Post by Unregret »

Hello, I found a bug when using this mod with Gearbox. You can't switch to last weapon after you climb any wall. I check Brutal Doom with similar feature, and seem to work nice with Gearbox.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Guncaster provides previous weapon switching internally already, and for good reason: there are a number of weapons we don't want to switch back to after wallclimbing since they do undefined things (but we do want to switch back to real guns after playing those animations). Some examples being: the dynamite toss, the barrel toss, putting on an envirosuit or powersuit, the ledge grab animation... These are all weapons for the sake of showing specific psprites and shouldn't be replayed under other circumstances. Sorry if that breaks things elsewhere.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

JCGemX wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:32 am I discovered a bug, apparently, the newer versions of GZ broke the health regen.
(not the one you get from equipping the "Bishop", but the one you can set up in the "Here Be Dragons" menu)

I don't see a health regen option, but maybe you refer to autoheal? It's automatic medbag usage once your health drops below a certain threshold.
Tesculpture wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:52 am-In GZD 4.10, the Augur has a problem where it doesn't shoot where you are aiming. Depending on what angle you are facing relative to North, the shot will fired off to the right of your point of aim. It is most noticeable when aiming in a North-West direction.
Seems to look OK here. Maybe a screenshot or a video clip could shed light on this.
krimson painkekk

Post by krimson painkekk »

KeksDose wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:53 pm
JCGemX wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:32 am I discovered a bug, apparently, the newer versions of GZ broke the health regen.

I don't see a health regen option, but maybe you refer to autoheal? It's automatic medbag usage once your health drops below a certain threshold.
Tesculpture wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:52 am-In GZD 4.10, the Augur has a problem where it doesn't shoot where you are aiming. Depending on what angle you are facing relative to North, the shot will fired off to the right of your point of aim. It is most noticeable when aiming in a North-West direction.
Seems to look OK here. Maybe a screenshot or a video clip could shed light on this.
https://youtu.be/7nDlPv9b8Zo?t=416

At 06:56 is the actual footage that encounters this issue a couple of times on the map. It seems like it seldom happens in specific areas/sections. I have met this issue while playing Fractured Worlds before.
DemonbaneSol

Post by DemonbaneSol »

Is there a quick and easy way to disable the mana pod/vial/potion/capsule drops? I tried commenting out the lines for them in the Mana.txt file, but that kicked errors about "unexpected {" and stuff, and GZ Doom wouldn't start because of it. At present I'm guessing I'd have to go through each txt file for each enemy and comment out the parts about them dropping those items...

Also, somehow the bug where the explosions and spirits from Corpse Blast can hurt you snuck back in. Not sure when it did, but after a little testing, it seems to happen more often when you have the Draugh Suit on, but it still happens without it. I haven't experimented enough to see if it can do so under all combinations of Draugh Suit, Power Suit, Mask, and Tome of Power, but I have encountered it with Power Suit + Mask, both with and without Draugh Suit.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Picked up Guncaster after a very long break. I gotta say, the rebalancing (yes, even the pruning) was done quite nicely. :D

(I do miss the increased TNT ammo capacity though.)

All of it is quite nice.
Spoiler: Anyway, I have some bugs to report...
Spoiler: And here are some gripes/suggestions...
I may have more to report later, in case I discover more or remember something I had currently forgotten. Thank you for continuing to expand upon and refine this mod, it's been an absolute blast from its inception to now. :D
krimson painkekk

Post by krimson painkekk »

I guess only single-handed weapons like Longhorn and Pulverizer could do most of guncasting combos is because these weapons have mediocre damage output (slow rate of fire/low damage). It could be easily made up with guncasting with less limitations.

The player could still perforn guncasting with Two-handed weapons, but with 2 options of spells left such as Dragonshout and Firespit.

By access of Masters of Pain (a.k.a. the gauntlet) and taking advantage of its new feature added from v3.888b, the player could freely perform guncasting with two-handed weapons.
Fast weapon-swap is the way to solve most of your guncasting issues and create various guncasting combos for fun.
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

guys, sorry if this question has been answered, but ive searched as well as i can think of and haven't found an answer; could someone pls give me a quick description of the differences in difficulty? is it basically the exact same as doom difficulties? i.e., ultra-violence -> wurm, nightmare -> dragon etc.? if so, then what's hydra?
DELTAtheDboi005

Post by DELTAtheDboi005 »

ActionAlligator wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:12 pm if so, then what's hydra?
THAT one's new to me... Might have to update GC to find out what it is :?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

The first four difficulties correspond to original Doom difficulties. Dragon difficulty gives monsters 20% more health and nopain in lieu of traditional Nightmare respawning, plus fastmonsters. Hydra is ultra-violence but with multiplayer things enabled, and has a confirm message:

Code: Select all

MustConfirm = "Wyrm difficulty level with spawning multiplayer stuff."
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

ahhh ok, thx very much!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Basically, it's what many Doom players call "UV+".

Frankly, it's my favorite difficulty level. :D
Zhs2 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:00 am Dragon difficulty gives monsters 20% more health and nopain in lieu of traditional Nightmare respawning, plus fastmonsters.
The NoPain in Dragon difficulty is honestly a major pain in the ass... it also means Guncaster-compatible monsters cannot suffer from most of the status effects otherwise granted by most of the stuff you cast (no burning, no electrocution, no bleeding, etc.), at least while the monster is alive.

I wish that would change. There are ways to inflict status effects without relying on custom monster states (trust me, I've done 'em), so if making sure monsters can't get stunlocked on Dragon difficulty is a must-have, we can still have both. If anyone on the team is interested, I can show how it can be done.
Lazlo74
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Lazlo74 »

Does anybody know how to use the tomed versions of spells? For example, I want to use the time-stopping ability of the Threadcutter but even after I picked up a tome in the wilderness, I haven't been able to figure out how to use it

Return to “Gameplay Mods”