[5.5] Corruption Cards - 200+ Gameplay warping cards!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valherran

Re: [4.5a] Corruption Cards - Daily Challenge update!

Post by Valherran »

I don't think I've unlocked all of the cards yet, let alone see them all.

A bugfix patch, especially for the brutal doom stuff, would help kickstart that right away.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

What about one that removes a random existing effect or doesn't add one for that level, but makes you pay for it with interest in a level or two by pushing the card tiers up a level or making you choose two more or something? Some alteration may be necessary for different modes though, say for regular/hardcore it could be the two other choices forced on you later while for chaos it'd be two random ones. Also you already have feign death, so what about some of the other horrid features of the ROTT lightning guard like random rocket launcher (upgrade to wake-up shot card?) or stealing active power-ups?
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Dan_The_Noob wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:28 pm I think some less specific cards could be good...
like "add more everything" monster cards.
or combo cards, like if you get 2 specific cards, it lets you access another card.
maybe you get "more barrels" + "fireball traps" it gives you one access to one that makes barrels shoot projectiles when they explode or something.
another thing that's not really a card, but a feature update would be a way to add/remove some cards dynamically during a level. though i'd imagine that'd involve preloading all info needed for all cards at level start, which could cause long loads...
AwkMan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AwkMan »

As I commented in a previous post, would it be possible to add an option to set whatever number of cards as permanent (previously unlocked) before starting a campaign, and then follow on with usual gameplay/card usage?

In my case, I would like to have these cards from start in all campaigns I play:

- Nuclear curse
- Death impact
- Earthquake
- Revise strategy
- Shifting cure
- Teleport traps (when mixed with the previous three cards it is total mayhem)

Specially important is the "Revise Strategy", as prior to finishing a level, I keep a save in the exit button. So when I start the next level, I load the save from previous level, so the next run of the current level has different enemy locations due to the "Revise strategy"

Also please, change the code so the locked appears appear more frequently. I have just played lot of levels and there are cards which I still have not unlocked, because they do not appear (even though I can choose between 8 different cards every level).
Finally, the Wild Cards, it is not clear if in a level there is one. If they are hidden in modified walls, it is not easy to see (specially with brutal doom/project brutality mods which have a lot of blood spills). Please add at the beginning of the level a visible message that there is a wild card
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

AwkMan wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:46 am As I commented in a previous post, would it be possible to add an option to set whatever number of cards as permanent (previously unlocked) before starting a campaign, and then follow on with usual gameplay/card usage?
I'll try to add this in the future but there's a bit of a problem when it comes to cards that feature specific monsters/projectiles etc, as the game "learns" what exists within the mods you're playing as you play. Not sure how to handle this, but the cards you listed would be fine with such a feature.
AwkMan wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:46 am Also please, change the code so the locked appears appear more frequently. I have just played lot of levels and there are cards which I still have not unlocked, because they do not appear (even though I can choose between 8 different cards every level).
Certain cards won't appear unless their conditions are met, so even if I added a feature that cut out cards you've already seen yet, they wouldn't appear anyway if their condition function fails. Plus
AwkMan wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:46 amFinally, the Wild Cards, it is not clear if in a level there is one. If they are hidden in modified walls, it is not easy to see (specially with brutal doom/project brutality mods which have a lot of blood spills). Please add at the beginning of the level a visible message that there is a wild card
This is a problem I'm yet to resolve due to the fact certain walls can be chosen for a wildcard outside of the map (i.e monster teleport closets), and it's not always simple trying to prevent this happening due to the way some mappers link sectors. So my temporary solution was to just not tell the player when one spawns, as if I alerted players as it is now, one may spawn in an inaccessible location and the player may end up searching for it forever.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Cutmanmike wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:56 am
I'll try to add this in the future but there's a bit of a problem when it comes to cards that feature specific monsters/projectiles etc, as the game "learns" what exists within the mods you're playing as you play. Not sure how to handle this, but the cards you listed would be fine with such a feature.
you could make it run at the beginning of a stage like normal card selection... check how many cards are already set to pick. no?
Cutmanmike wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:56 am This is a problem I'm yet to resolve due to the fact certain walls can be chosen for a wildcard outside of the map (i.e monster teleport closets), and it's not always simple trying to prevent this happening due to the way some mappers link sectors. So my temporary solution was to just not tell the player when one spawns, as if I alerted players as it is now, one may spawn in an inaccessible location and the player may end up searching for it forever.
wild cards have always been a weird issue. maybe you can have them drop for certain conditions as an alternative to finding them? like 80% complete a map that has it (secrets/kills/items) makes it just pop out near you (removes the hidden wall)
AwkMan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AwkMan »

It would be awesome if you could implement this feature. If it is a problem to do it with all the cards, then just limit it to the ones it is not a problem (like the ones I listed).

Regarding the conditions, what are the conditions? I remember that wild cards before had the requirement to kill all enemies and find all secrets but you changed it.

For the wild cards, before they used to appear in secrets. Maybe you can switch back to that behaviour, it is simple and should a priori have no problems.
Last edited by AwkMan on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchygamer

Post by Dutchygamer »

I've encountered a rather funny bug with the "Spawn boss every 42 kills" card. It has worked fine for me multiple times before (with various mapsets), but all of a sudden it triggers the effect on the 42 kill, and on every monster kill from that point onwards. Said boss monster also doesn't seem to spawn. This started happening with the map after the one where I picked this card, but no matter the new card I pick it keeps happening from that point.

EDIT: the stuck effect carries over to the next map.

CC version is 4.4
Card mode is Hardcore.
If you need more info just ask.
DarkQuill

Post by DarkQuill »

Idea for a new card;

Teir-1 Card
All-In Bonus
All Health/Armor bonuses are swapped over to a single type for the rest of the map. So if it selects Health Bonuses, all Armor Bonuses will become Health Bonuses instead.

Was thinking of different ways to do this, including having the chosen bonus drop a duplicate of itself and the unchosen one being blank/removed instead, but I think just changing them over will have less compatibility issues with mods that put bonuses in randomized pools. I thought about what you said about having beneficial cards for the player but needing as drawback, I think this is a nice low-impact one.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

DarkQuill wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:40 pm Idea for a new card;

Teir-1 Card
All-In Bonus
All Health/Armor bonuses are swapped over to a single type for the rest of the map. So if it selects Health Bonuses, all Armor Bonuses will become Health Bonuses instead.

Was thinking of different ways to do this, including having the chosen bonus drop a duplicate of itself and the unchosen one being blank/removed instead, but I think just changing them over will have less compatibility issues with mods that put bonuses in randomized pools. I thought about what you said about having beneficial cards for the player but needing as drawback, I think this is a nice low-impact one.
the problem with this, is that in some cases. getting only armor would mean you're screwed and getting only health means you're a god.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Here is version 4.6! Card total now over 200 :)
  • Added 10 new cards.
  • Changed how monsters are frozen at the start of the game. May fix compatability issues with certain mods/maps.
  • Fixed certain bosses leaving a solid corpse.
  • Fixed a crash with Adpatable Foe.
  • Fixed Ally Marines triggering Explosive Death upon resurrecting.
  • Fixed Ally Marines not moving if hurt while being resurrected.
  • Fixed Third Strike and Trickshot Augment not playing working together currectly.
  • Fixed 16th Sin and Hell's Answer kill counter potentially going higher than their trigger amount.
  • Infestation Enchantment produces even more spiders for stronger monsters.
  • Sealed Guardians now have a random enchantment applied to them.
  • Shadows Manifest is now tier 4 (from 3).
  • Invisibility Curse is now tier 2 (from 3).
  • Iron Skins now lowers flinch chance even more.
  • Monsters spawned by Miniboss Attack monsters can now infight.
  • Respawning Nightmare now respawns the monster after 5 to 10 seconds (instead of up over a minute!)
  • Cursed Monsters can no longer be eaten by Big Stomach.
  • Invulnerable monsters can no longer be eaten by Big Stomach.
  • Possessed Marines now deal slightly less damage to players.
  • Reduced the amount of monsters spawned by Monster Gang for monsters with higher health.
  • Riding monsters now lose the Ambush flag.
  • Monster corpses with a Firecracker Fuse now flash.
  • The Summoned Monsters card can now only spawn a maximun of 20 monsters per card (instead of 50).
  • Solid Monsters now become unsolid while under the effect of Hate Shield.
  • Trick Switches have less chance of affecting switches.
  • Trick Switches can no longer be offered on maps with no usable lines.
  • Trick Swithces is now tier 2 (from 1).
  • A certain Wild Card actor will now reset the player's vertical aim after it has been adjusted.
If you were having trouble running brutal doom, it should work correctly now without a patch file. This is because I've changed how monsters are frozen (setting a -1 tic animation instead of Deactivating and Reactivating the actors). This potentially may cause issues with other monster mods? Let me know if you suddenly have problems with monsters after playing this version.

Download 4.6b
Last edited by Cutmanmike on Mon May 01, 2023 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
antpostal

Re: [4.6] Corruption Cards - 200+ Gameplay warping cards!

Post by antpostal »

I’ll do a quick run with a monster mod called project malice. Since I’ve been using them both for awhile I don’t think it would cause problems but I’ll let you know if anything comes up
NamelessGuy

Post by NamelessGuy »

And we have a winner! Probably caused by feather enchantment card.

Btw, speaking of wild card ideas, I'd love to see a card that references pretty well-known series called Ghoul's forest.
I wonder what the developer of GF are up to now, hmmm.
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20230501_102920.jpg
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

NamelessGuy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:35 pm And we have a winner! Probably caused by feather enchantment card.
Had to put out a hotfix for this one. Please redownload to get 4.6b to fix this crash.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [4.6b] Corruption Cards - 200+ Gameplay warping cards!

Post by namsan »

It's great to see this mod is still expanded and gets even more contents!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”