Relighting v4.0165b - blurry shadows w/ rlassets

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Skrell

Re: Relighting v4.0160b - texture lights

Post by Skrell »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:04 pm
Skrell wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:15 pm Can I assume if I use a voxel item pikcup mod, the light emanating from the pickups will still apply to the walls?
If this is in reference to sidedef light baking, then no. The light source actors are applied in the POIs of target sectors and temporarily along its 2-sided lines. Others are attached to decorative light objects, that is solid non-inventory items such as column lights, torches, etc. A third category is texture lights. All are separate from items with attached dynamic lights such as inventory pickups, missiles, etc.
What about the green acid barrels? What if they are also voxels?
Hey Doomer_
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Skrell wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:48 pm
Hey Doomer_ wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:04 pm
Skrell wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:15 pm Can I assume if I use a voxel item pikcup mod, the light emanating from the pickups will still apply to the walls?
If this is in reference to sidedef light baking, then no. The light source actors are applied in the POIs of target sectors and temporarily along its 2-sided lines. Others are attached to decorative light objects, that is solid non-inventory items such as column lights, torches, etc. A third category is texture lights. All are separate from items with attached dynamic lights such as inventory pickups, missiles, etc.
What about the green acid barrels? What if they are also voxels?
At this point no, because the item lights are given to shadow casters. Voxels are excluded based on reading a VOXELDEF lump. I've just noticed a bug as well - player shadows have to be turned off in Voxel Doom. I'll have to fix that for the next version.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

Good update, I think there is a slight performance hit on maps like no rest for the living. It runs very slow with the latest update in delta touch. I have not experienced this with 4.058 or 4.059, other maps seem to run as usual. Not sure what is wrong with that map, ashes runs fine. Ramp hub has issues but could be lights everywhere, that was always the case. Good update nonetheless.
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

cosmos10040 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:40 am Good update, I think there is a slight performance hit on maps like no rest for the living. It runs very slow with the latest update in delta touch. I have not experienced this with 4.058 or 4.059, other maps seem to run as usual. Not sure what is wrong with that map, ashes runs fine. Ramp hub has issues but could be lights everywhere, that was always the case. Good update nonetheless.
Thanks! You might try increasing the texture light factor or turning off texture lights altogether. These will add light actors. They are ignored by iterators but nevertheless add overhead.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hey Doomer! I'm trying out v4.0160b and it seems to produce the following error if I load it up with the Painslayer mod:

https://imgur.io/a/jgpLneO

In this test scenario, it's only Painslayer 1.4.0 and ReLighting are running - this is on just the Doom2 IWAD
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:14 am Hey Doomer! I'm trying out v4.0160b and it seems to produce the following error if I load it up with the Painslayer mod:

https://imgur.io/a/jgpLneO

In this test scenario, it's only Painslayer 1.4.0 and ReLighting are running - this is on just the Doom2 IWAD
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Edit

This issue is caused by no sectors being picked up by Relighting in modify the minimum sector area. (I usually don't see TITLEMAP levels since I select a level with ZDL.) This block of code modifies the min and max parameters depending on the area curve skew or tail; this improves performance on overly detailed maps that typically have many small and decorative sectors. Change the line to these and see if it works:

Code: Select all

double min_area = rl_Cvar.rl_sector_area_min.GetInt();
		if (secareas.Size() != 0) min_area = skewness > 1.0 ? secareas[secareas.Size() - 1] *= skewness : secareas[secareas.Size() - 1];
Last edited by Hey Doomer_ on Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thugsta

Re: Relighting v4.0159b - better light & shadow

Post by thugsta »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:49 pm
thugsta wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 am Some little ideas If were talking about little neat touches.
What about filling in window slots with glass panes? or at least the ones with a view of the sky to give places more of the illusion they are real locations and not just abstract shapes.

Also an idea is for maybe small light textures to have lens flares/halo's, to give lights a bit of a 'pop'.

Lastly, what about having key doors be used by some kinda animation or something (like the access card shows up to the door, or scan's itself) rather then having a key and just magically that door is now openable, just needs something more immersive but i think this one is further away for this project then the other 2 ideas.
These are great ideas although likely outside the scope of this mod. I'm trying to avoid adding assets.

What does "small light textures to have lens flares/halo's" mean? Just curious.
Can't you just fill the window gap with a gray color of sorts for the illusion of windows being their?

By lens flares/halo's (or light glare even) from light textures, i mean for example if a wall has a light source of sorts to give the effect similar to the sun in this video HERE (also you may get other ideas to play around with lighting from this thread HERE to create something and get inspiration.)

Great work on this fantastic mod.
Hey Doomer_

Re: Relighting v4.0159b - better light & shadow

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

thugsta wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:44 am
Can't you just fill the window gap with a gray color of sorts for the illusion of windows being their?

By lens flares/halo's (or light glare even) from light textures, i mean for example if a wall has a light source of sorts to give the effect similar to the sun in this video HERE (also you may get other ideas to play around with lighting from this thread HERE to create something and get inspiration.)

Great work on this fantastic mod.
Thanks!

Ah yes, but what is a "window?" Doom geometry is all other this place. Many mods such as Brutal Doom add this already. I'll think about this, and I've already wondered about lens flares and god rays. Great suggestions.
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

WIWO v4.0161b - bug fixes, optimizations

v4.0161b

4/23 - fixed skewness for sectorless maps
4/24 - added hack in shadow PostBeginPlay() for player sprite in voxel array
4/24 - added lifespan variable to hd_light actor
In v4.0160 the hd_light actor checks every tick for distance to the player, etc., which needlessly chews cycles I realized. I've added a "lifespan" optimization that you can try yourself that looks promising.

Add lifespan to the end of int declaration at top of class:

int light_size, light_type, light_flags, shadow_distance, lifespan;
Define lifespan at bottom of PostBeginPlay():

lifespan = 6;
Add this block to check lifespan in Tick():

override void Tick(void)
	{
		// Super.Tick();
		if (justsuper) return;
		if (--lifespan == 0)
		{
			lifespan = 6;
		}
		else
		{
			return;
		}

Still testing. 8-)
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:13 amThis issue is caused by no sectors being picked up by Relighting in modify the minimum sector area. (I usually don't see TITLEMAP levels since I select a level with ZDL.) This block of code modifies the min and max parameters depending on the area curve skew or tail; this improves performance on overly detailed maps that typically have many small and decorative sectors.
I can confirm this issue has been resolved on my end on copying over those lines! Thanks, Hey Doomer! :)

[Edit] It appears I was a tad premature in announcing a resolution - no errors appear no whatsoever but now certain maps seem to get flooded by a ton of ghost lights and the result is quite a huge frame rate drop! I can confirm turning off ghost lights resolves the issue and that it doesn't occur in all maps!
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

I don't know if it's the Relighting v4.0160b mod or gzdoom but gzdoom is crashing with the Access Violation message in some megawads, like alien vendetta, hell to pay and perdition's gate. Tried with GZDoom version 4.10 and 4.11 and the same thing happens.
As soon as i remove the relighting mod, gzdoom stops crashing.

Is there a way to fix this?
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Ripthorn wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:42 pm I don't know if it's the Relighting v4.0160b mod or gzdoom but gzdoom is crashing with the Access Violation message in some megawads, like alien vendetta, hell to pay and perdition's gate. Tried with GZDoom version 4.10 and 4.11 and the same thing happens.

Sure I can check it out. I did test this version with Alien Vendetta and didn't notice a crash. Can you post a screenshot of the error? Thanks!
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

Damn... No rest for the living runs at 1fps on my 3080 Ti with relighting mod :lol:
I had to turn off texture lights to increase performance. :biggrin:
Hey Doomer_ wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:58 pm
Ripthorn wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:42 pm I don't know if it's the Relighting v4.0160b mod or gzdoom but gzdoom is crashing with the Access Violation message in some megawads, like alien vendetta, hell to pay and perdition's gate. Tried with GZDoom version 4.10 and 4.11 and the same thing happens.

Sure I can check it out. I did test this version with Alien Vendetta and didn't notice a crash. Can you post a screenshot of the error? Thanks!
I don't have a screenshot by I saved the crash dump: https://4070k4-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/ ... w?e=LeGIRi
I forgot to mention, I have some mods installed like Brutal Doom Platinum...
Hey Doomer_

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Ripthorn wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:20 pm Damn... No rest for the living runs at 1fps on my 3080 Ti with relighting mod :lol:
I had to turn off texture lights to increase performance. :biggrin:
Hey Doomer_ wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:58 pm

I don't have a screenshot by I saved the crash dump: https://4070k4-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/ ... w?e=LeGIRi
I forgot to mention, I have some mods installed like Brutal Doom Platinum...
Thanks! See this post regarding the Access Violation error. This doesn't seem like anything I can address in Relighting without knowing more.

RE texture lights, they are added according to the difference between sector and back sector light levels. Lowering the factor increases the number of texture lights, and increasing it does the opposite. I have not yet worked on optimizing this new feature (for example, taking into account average light levels in the map as a baseline), but you could try increasing the default factor to 1.1 or 1.2 and see if that helps. I'm working on ways to improve dynamic light optimization. The fix I posted above that adds a lifespan variable to lights might also help.
tuintje

Post by tuintje »

i noticed with voxel mod from cheello the mod produces artifacts around the player any fix for this?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”