What's the difference between running gz in software and lz/qz/zd in software?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
invictius

What's the difference between running gz in software and lz/qz/zd in software?

Post by invictius »

I don't really have a laptop that doesn't weigh a ton atm so I want to use a netbook as it works fine for most things... only it only has opengl 1.4/1.5. My understanding is that even if gzdoom did support this still, the performance would be rubbish and you may as well run in software mode. But how does that differ from running any other zdoom-based port in software? My main concern here is that lzdoom etc is not going to be as up to date as gz, and therefore won't run something that requires, say, 4.8. Lz is only based off of 3.something, isn't it?

Wasn't really sure whether to put this in legacy discussion as we're talking about legacy hardware but modern software.

EDIT: I actually do have a more modern laptop, now that I remember... but opengl version of the igpu is 4.4. Which means I'm stuck with the 3.3 failback, right?
yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: What's the difference between running gz in software and lz/qz/zd in software?

Post by yum13241 »

(G/Q)ZDoom does not have Softpoly anymore. This means you HAVE to have SOME hardware-acceleration involved. In LZDoom for example you could use Softpoly with the Carmack renderer to not involve OGL at all.

but opengl version of the igpu is 4.4. Which means I'm stuck with the 3.3 failback, right?
Try OpenGL ES. It's a lot faster than LZDoom these days. Use Vulkan if your performance isn't crap with it.

ZDoom is always in software mode.
invictius

Re: What's the difference between running gz in software and lz/qz/zd in software?

Post by invictius »

yum13241 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:26 am (G/Q)ZDoom does not have Softpoly anymore. This means you HAVE to have SOME hardware-acceleration involved. In LZDoom for example you could use Softpoly with the Carmack renderer to not involve OGL at all.

but opengl version of the igpu is 4.4. Which means I'm stuck with the 3.3 failback, right?
Try OpenGL ES. It's a lot faster than LZDoom these days. Use Vulkan if your performance isn't crap with it.

ZDoom is always in software mode.
Vulkan version is only 1.0, so I'm worried about when that will get deprecated and 1.3 will be a requirement.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

You still have OpenGL ES.
invictius

Post by invictius »

yum13241 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:11 am You still have OpenGL ES.
That's pretty amazing on delta touch, maps 3 and 4 of dotw are actually playable!
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

OpenGL ES is pretty much a miracle solution in this case lol.

Return to “General”