ARACNOCIDE 2.7 (Updated 03/Sep/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: ARACNOCIDE 2.3b (Updated 12/Mar/23)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Unregret wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 am Hello, I'm not sure if this question asked many times, but how to find more upgrade parts?
They spawn in backpack spots with a random chance.
Unregret
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 9+1

Post by Unregret »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:57 am
Unregret wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:02 am Hello, I'm not sure if this question asked many times, but how to find more upgrade parts?
They spawn in backpack spots with a random chance.
Thank you, its really rare to find.
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

While we still have time to put out some suggestions, I guess I should point out that the reload sprites for the non-upgraded MP-40 are a bit inaccurate to the IRL gun. Where the magazine is inserted on them is actually where the butt of the MP-40's stock is when it's completely folded up, and not the actual mag-well. This has kinda irked me for about as long as this mod has been around, though because these sprites are on the non-upgraded version, I guess I could just upgrade the gun and not worry about it.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: ARACNOCIDE 2.4 (Updated 27/Mar/23)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

After two weeks, i thought i would have some rest, but i found too much room for improvement.

Guess oversights are a part of my workflow.

Anyway, had to update this build to fix some urgent stuff and add some new things to revamp the game for you:
Now the game has one new upgrade for all classes, which closes the arsenal at 200 weapons! Also, i added Flint, a companion dog to help you around. Remember to press USE on him to order it to attack monsters, and press use again to make him follow you. I've chose the Dead Marine decoration as a spawn spot, i don't think that'll turn into a good idea, but at least in Heretic and Hexen it'll replace the Pork artifact.

Also, tons of bugs, typos, inconsistent names, wrong sprite names and corrections were made. Have fun! Next update will have more and more graphical corrections, new features and what else.
Spoiler: Changelog 2.4
Unregret

Post by Unregret »

With new dog companions, maps with more enemy are less-intense now, which is quite relieved. I wish we can have more variety of these buddy, not only German Shepherd. Also, do you plan to replace player skins?
Felix_Margarita
Operating System Version (Optional): Steamos 3.4.11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Felix_Margarita »

I enjoy the hell out of this mod - going to try out v2.4 now.

EDIT: So I played around with some of the new stuff and I'm still pretty amazed at how fun the weapons are to use. My only gripe (if you could call it that) is that some of Dutch's weapons obscure player vision a bit and feel a bit unwieldy. Favorite character is still Marion - that upgraded Uzi is way too fun to use.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Unregret wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:07 am With new dog companions, maps with more enemy are less-intense now, which is quite relieved. I wish we can have more variety of these buddy, not only German Shepherd. Also, do you plan to replace player skins?
Thanks, that's exactly what Flint is here for. I wish i could have, but i think i've worked enough on it.
Also, some sprites such as Simon and Marion, no. But a few others such as MIkhail, yes.
Felix_Margarita wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:22 pm I enjoy the hell out of this mod - going to try out v2.4 now.

EDIT: So I played around with some of the new stuff and I'm still pretty amazed at how fun the weapons are to use. My only gripe (if you could call it that) is that some of Dutch's weapons obscure player vision a bit and feel a bit unwieldy. Favorite character is still Marion - that upgraded Uzi is way too fun to use.
I appreciate the love, homie. By unwieldy, you mean, unresponsive? Because that's something we can work on, but remember: Dutch is not accurate nor too fast, for the sake of balance.

Also, in the meantime, i just discovered Flint won't spawn in Heretic because somehow i assumed the Pork artifact was present in both Raven games. That's fixed for 2.5, which will also have some new graphics for hands and some guns, some recalculation on throwables and explosive weapons (such as making weaker classes more useful and nerfing the ungodly range damage of stronger classes- Blake and Marion, for example), and some weapon tweaks here and there.
Unregret

Post by Unregret »

I guess 2 more dog skins wont hurt: https://www.realm667.com/en/beastiary-m ... doom-style
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I appreciate the care, but i'm really not looking forward to having more dogs now.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Could there be an option that either lets players adjust the dog spawn rate or disable it entirely? I was playing Danne's E1 and on the first level I had four or five dogs killing most everything for me. :P

I still plan on giving a more in-depth critique in a later post. I just haven't had time due to work. :P
Felix_Margarita

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:24 pmappreciate the love, homie. By unwieldy, you mean, unresponsive? Because that's something we can work on, but remember: Dutch is not accurate nor too fast, for the sake of balance.
The upgraded heavy pistol and the auto shotgun occupy a lot of space on the screen and feel difficult to see around. Both of those guns hit hard and feel great, but if they positioned a little lower, that’d be awesome.

Also, sometimes I struggle playing as Simon on harder difficulties - what’s your advice for getting the most out of him and his arsenal?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Ah, so it's an offset thing. Okay, i can work on it.

As for Simon, right out of the bat i can say a few advantages:

1) Simon's revolvers (every iterations of it) may have one bullet, but they pierce through targets; if you can position them in line, you'll damage all of them at once.

2) Simon's 8-Ball is kinda hard to aim, but it'll become obtainable again once it hits the ground. That helps saving ammo on lower enemies.

3) Simon's enhanced taser (the P.E.Z.) is the most economic battery weapon in the game, so you can use it to stunlock monsters and save ammo.

4) Simon's Pool cue has the longest range of all melee weapons.

5) Simon's heavy rifle is among the fastest and highest ammo capacity weapons. so you can avoid reloading a lot if you keep on using them.

6) Simon's upgraded bugspray has no reloadings and is very powerful on close range, even for big enemies.

7) His BFG (Maeda's Powercoil) is one of the most powerful of all classes, since its effect is almost immediate.

Hope those tips can be helpful.
Felix_Margarita

Never noticed that about Simon’s heavy pistol - gonna try that out. Those are all good tips, thanks man! Looking forward to what’s on the horizon.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Felix_Margarita wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am Never noticed that about Simon’s heavy pistol - gonna try that out. Those are all good tips, thanks man! Looking forward to what’s on the horizon.
Anytime.

Some people might think that there was no way to know that by just playing the game, and they're totally right.

But that's exactly why one of my plans is to add the PDA, not just because i love Lithium and DRLA. I want to fill it with all the information that takes up useful space, such as the HUD and the menus.

Also, each and every gun and upgrade have at least a few words worth of description in the code, and i want the player to read that, makes the universe richer.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hey everyone,

I'm moving my things to Google Drive and i would like to test things with you.

Could anybody click on this link and tell me if the download is working fine?

If everything goes nicely, i'll start replacing the links to my mods. Mods that might have had changes on my personal files since their latest relase might get their threads bumped, so don't take it as voluntary necromancy, rather, please warn me if the newly uploaded versions are presenting any problem that might impact on gameplay.

Peace.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”