Watch out for dopes ("work" in "progress")

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Watch out for dopes ("work" in "progress")

Post by KynikossDragonn »

bimshwel wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:55 pmthe introduction to my 2022 retrospective video is made from this project's data, though how much of it I will leave in these is uncertain.
The video turned out so well! And, I had a bit of a laugh seeing it zoom in on every single pinecone.
Gez wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:05 amOr that scene where Cosmo rescues Duke Nukem.
And then it came full circle in Duke Nukem 3D: "Register Cosmo Today!" if you type a certain cheat code.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Gez wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:05 am
bimshwel wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:55 pm
eh I suppose that only works once per topic-thread.
You need to only put the video id in the tag, not any of the base youtube URL.
oh that does sound familiar! i have had to relearn bits of this forum a few times. I also have a habit of assuming something beyond my control is broken.
So many forgotten video game characters. I never expected to see Zool (well, Zooz in this case) again. Or that scene where Cosmo rescues Duke Nukem.
thank you for looking at the video! zool was in the crowd scene of mouthless characters, though added toward the end after i had been reminded of its existence, and perhaps is easy to miss in the video. i had been thoroughly unaware of zooz prior to that and drew one fast on a different occasion, which ironically ends up much more prominent in the video, even though I posted the crowd picture in more places.
And then it came full circle in Duke Nukem 3D: "Register Cosmo Today!" if you type a certain cheat code.
"go back and give cosmo some french fries, too" would be a more direct acknowledgement, but I think the code was added by someone who never actually played the cosmo game, at least not all the way through.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

ImageImage
an eccentric imp melts, in 2023 and 2004. I do like the stripes on the 2004 version of this animation, but I also repeatedly didn’t notice that I forgot stripes. That has happened before!
The old version also simply has purple hands and feet rather than wearing purple gloves over them as, for now, the new one does. Surprisingly, it is easier to draw those melt since the form does not need to be consistent between frames. Since I didn’t draw this from eight angles, however, switching the gloves to hands shouldn’t be as big a deal as some previous not big a deals ended up being.
this still needs to have its in-pain/fire breathing frames recreated. But HOPEFULLY I will be able to make some more progress on levels soon. Apart from test zones for graphics I have not done any of that in quite a while.
KynikossDragonn
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

That expression to me looks like "harumph! I resent this action against me!"

I remember the pointing with the glove animation you posted some time ago, but I had no idea this imp would "breathe fire" as well.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I suppose the possibility exists that I never showed it doing that in any of the videos. Maybe in the end it will do something else with those frames. I would definitely make new fire, though this looks much better in motion. I must have set it up before i added the multi-angled imp fireball explosions even though those are also very old.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

one is new, the other is not. I hope you can determine which!

I want to include more expressive characters in the future, but that will require fewer moving parts, as even minimally detailed ones like this become a problem when there are so many pieces. If this idiot gets any more frames I hope they will have the courtesy to be non-rotatable!
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

bimshwel, I saw your work last year and... Damn, what a cool visual style! Smooth animation, interesting design of enemies and character, creative arsenal and so on! Is this really GZDOOM?

I thought I wouldn't see anything like this after "Decadence" (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63782). I will look forward to the release of your project! :)
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Thank you for the support! I definitely hope to release it some day. It is meant to not look strictly like "a doom mod" and only is because Doom was the first game I learned how to edit and I just take a really long time to do anything! If you are still around next year ideally I will have spent more of this year making tangible progress. I ought to look into that decadent matter as well since I am always curious how other people approach original, non-3d modeled sprites. It definitely takes a while to make full sets even at standard resolution...
oh wow that ALSO has "truncation of floating point constant" errors in the console! I am also always curious how other people approach errors that show up but don't appear to affect anything.
Unregret
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 9+1

Post by Unregret »

Amazing.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

thank you!
and NOW this moron can jump, owing to some help I requested here recently. hopefully a few less difficult to draw ones will follow and I will also sort out additional coding frustrations.
its pain frames are also more expressive than before, since my plan to make sprites from movable, recyclable fragments caused an absurd amount of lag when loading so I ended up having to treat these as unified objects anyway and consequently had no choice but to animate them better.
a video showing it but I mean to replace this one since it doesn't have the title graphic or music in it and I already changed a bunch more visual characteristics in that "level." ohhh busy busy busy. It is GOOD that I can lose myself in the design even of test levels since those are the only kind of level I have had recently and I was worried about how bland they had been looking. and eventually it is just a few barriers and a goal short of being a proper level. I assume.
Unregret

Post by Unregret »

This is really need more attentions. People just don't even know that they need it. Do you have a Discord community?
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I appreciate your apparent enthusiasm! However I do not reckon that anybody NEEDs this, and they cannot get it anyhow since I have yet to produce a playable demonstration version and am probably still far off from being able to do that.
I made a discord page a few months ago https://discord.gg/PvBgz7r8ws , supposedly that is the invitation link.
but I didn't know what to do with since I already post the same stuff on so many websites, nor what to tell or people to do with it.
Unregret

Post by Unregret »

Please take your time.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The animations you've uploaded lately are all looking great. Also your works overall are unique, lively, smooth and highly expressing. They pop out of personality in brilliant level, too and i like that! I'm enjoying seeing your stuff and keep up the good work.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Thank you! I am glad this still exhibition-only thread seems to have some value.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”