Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

AMMO: Should ammunition have weight?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

1) Yes! Make the ammo harness reduce reloading speed.
36%
2) Nah! Keep the hard ammo caps and weightlessness plz.
14%
3) Both! Make it a CVAR that players can toggle as desired. (DUNNO If I can accomplish this!)
50%

Total votes: 14

Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Scavver's Paradise V2.3 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Two small things i found so far (tested with LZDoom and had to do IDKFA because i had some tasks to do in the house):

At first it threw me an error on booting related to "Actors/Weapons/Slot3.dec", line 68, which was a "A_PlayWeaponSound" where you'd defined a ",0" at the end, but A_PlayWeaponSound has no parameters, IIRC, because it already plays at slot 1.

After fixing this, the game booted with some warnings, but nothing that crashed the game.

Despite that, the bow displays a different arrow sprite when dryfired. The idle sprite shows the poison arrow, and when it fires, the idle switches to the shock bolt.

Other than that, i'll take my time to study the negative statuses and play seriously.
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

A simple fix, just replacing all instances of A_PlayWeaponSound to A_PlaySound, which I should really convert to A_StartSound since A_PlaySound has been deprecated. That would also be a real simple fix.

Weird though that it doesn't throw up any warnings about the A_PlayWeaponSound lines in GZDoom.

As for the bow dry firing, that is likely because using IDKFA gives you a round of steel bolt ammo AND fire bolt ammo. Having both ammos in your inventory leads to weirdness with the dry fire states, but if you have neither the dry fire works as normal, regardless of your currently selected ammo type.
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

There may be a small minor exploit with the lead containers if you have two spheres close to each other, you can duplicate llc's, and the 20mm launcher seems to only take out one plasma round instead of emptying it.

The only other mods i was running it with was the compendium mapack, which i don't know if it may be the cause, i don't know how to test it normally
and the dynamic music mod
the only other bug is one i forgot to submit a while ago, but in multiplayer the grey text when scrapping stuff and other things is displayed on all players screens instead of only the player who scrapped them.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Oh heck, I hadn't considered that with the LLSCs. That'll be easy to patch out with a hotfix.

With the 20mm launcher, probably just some weirdness with the jump states in it. The ammo swapping code in the mod is functional and fine when it works, but a pain in the ass to implement lol.

The text appearing on both screens in coop is less a bug and more just how A_Log works. I'll look into seeing if there's a way to make it only stick on a single player's view.

I'll be sure to drop a hotfix in a few days or so, gonna give it some time for other bug reports to pop up. Squash em all in one go.
KTwo

Post by KTwo »

I need more Stalker and The Thing references in this mod
Eggs

Post by Eggs »

Okay, so i did a Co op game with a friend and everything works fine there are only seemingly only a few tiny issues that dont affect much

- There may be some oddness from the medical harness audio in co op where one of the audios played on me despite not having one, but my co op buddy had one, but i can't really confirm it, so i wouldn't trust me on that. (i really can't confirm this bug, i may be wrong)
- the Huntsman load out death animation doesn't seem to finish fully, this might be the case for the other player sprites but it would need more testing, as my buddy was the only one to die a few times and he was playing the huntsman loadout.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Eggs wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:18 am - There may be some oddness from the medical harness audio in co op where one of the audios played on me despite not having one, but my co op buddy had one, but i can't really confirm it, so i wouldn't trust me on that. (i really can't confirm this bug, i may be wrong)
How much distance was there between you and your buddy when it played? The harness should play sounds as regular noises that perpetuate in the game world, so if you're nearby its callouts are gonna be audible.

Tho that said, probably should look into having the callouts only play for the player with the harness. Prolly a bit disorienting being in combat and hearing somebody else's suit tell them they're bleeding lol.
Eggs wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:18 am - the Huntsman load out death animation doesn't seem to finish fully, this might be the case for the other player sprites but it would need more testing, as my buddy was the only one to die a few times and he was playing the huntsman loadout.
An easy fix. Appreciate ya reporting that.
Eggs

Post by Eggs »

I do have only one small request though, Would it be possible to add void spheres as a rare drop from the void monsters? i feel like if the map doesn't have any armor bonuses you're pretty much stuck with void drain for the entire map if you're unlucky enough.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

... WHY DID I NEVER CONSIDER THAT AS AN OPTION

Consider it done
q3cpma

Post by q3cpma »

Thanks a lot for this mod, really a great middle point between HD and vanilla. A little suggestion (might be a pain to do, though): have the item HUD thumbnail show in the PDA, for easy identification.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Nash's PDA starter kit actually does have a function for displaying images behind the text. Main issue is that weapon spawn sprites are a little small on the screen. It's more useful for displaying maps and important images in a mod that'd benefit from such or from using simple images that wouldn't clash with the text.

Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

I just beated Doom 2 Unleashed map 32 on apocalypse difficulty. A fre*king 1500 mosters soft/mid slaughtermap... it took more than two hours to finish it... on the last wave before the exit I just started to quicksave any time a cleared a complete horde and I had to rush the final part to get enought heavy supplies, and probably I wouldn't made it on the previous update... holy Sh...

I need to say that I definitely loved the updated, the mod feels smother and nicer than ever. And it's also nice that the PDA doesn't generate lag after using it for a long time. I already have a few reports/suggestions.

- For the explosive ammo box is normal that it could drop a lot of multiple supplies? Like rockets, 40mm grenades and explosive rifle rounds at once?
- The green tier 5 combat armor description has a weird code text on the part where is show the laser dmg resistance
- it would be nice if the healthbar could show an aditional stat of your current maximun health additional to the current health the character has, to keep a better tracking of the healing you could apply to your character.
- More important than the healthbar, it could be nice to add some mark that shows what is the current backpack you're carrying, as well as a little bit of additional info on the mod that shows the weight each backpack can support, some times is a little bit confusing to guess the max weight it can support either fully charged or at half of the weight of the backpack.
Eggs

Post by Eggs »

Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm
- More important than the healthbar, it could be nice to add some mark that shows what is the current backpack you're carrying, as well as a little bit of additional info on the mod that shows the weight each backpack can support, some times is a little bit confusing to guess the max weight it can support either fully charged or at half of the weight of the backpack.
If you bind Keys list in the strife popup screen controls it will show you what backpack you have and how much it can carry, but for a general rule, you begin to become noticeably slower when you have more than half your max carry weight
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm I just beated Doom 2 Unleashed map 32 on apocalypse difficulty. A fre*king 1500 mosters soft/mid slaughtermap... it took more than two hours to finish it... on the last wave before the exit I just started to quicksave any time a cleared a complete horde and I had to rush the final part to get enought heavy supplies, and probably I wouldn't made it on the previous update... holy Sh...
Christ in a handbasket, I couldn't imagine trying a slaughter map with this mod o.o
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pmAnd it's also nice that the PDA doesn't generate lag after using it for a long time.
You know the funny thing is that I didn't even touch that. Nash uploaded an updated version of the PDA code that fixes this weird performance bug, but I actually never got around to updating the code in my mod. I think newer GZDoom releases work better with the old code currently in the mod than it did when I first included it into Scavver's.
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm- For the explosive ammo box is normal that it could drop a lot of multiple supplies? Like rockets, 40mm grenades and explosive rifle rounds at once?
It shouldn't be frequent, but it is a possibility. Random rolls of the dice determines what loot you get, and sometimes you get a massive stockpile. Probably wouldn't hurt to drop the chance of getting shit tons of loot.
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm- The green tier 5 combat armor description has a weird code text on the part where is show the laser dmg resistance
This is why you should ALWAYS double check that your statements end with semicolons. Fixed.
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm- it would be nice if the healthbar could show an aditional stat of your current maximun health additional to the current health the character has, to keep a better tracking of the healing you could apply to your character.
You're not the first to suggest this, and implementing it wouldn't be hard at all.
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm- More important than the healthbar, it could be nice to add some mark that shows what is the current backpack you're carrying, as well as a little bit of additional info on the mod that shows the weight each backpack can support, some times is a little bit confusing to guess the max weight it can support either fully charged or at half of the weight of the backpack.
What Eggs said. If you bind the Strife Popup Keys menus you'll be able to see how much ammo you're carrying, what your current armor's stats are, and what upgrades you've currently got. This includes backpacks.
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

CaptainNurbles wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:17 am
Christ in a handbasket, I couldn't imagine trying a slaughter map with this mod o.o
Neither do I. I just Dowloaded that Megawad because Paul Corfiatis MapPacks most of the time are soft enough to been playable with this mod, but didn't expected the super secret slaughtermap. In general that experience wasn't that bad until the last part of the map, but I definitely wouldn't try that again if possible.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”