[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Captain J »

CaptainNurbles wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:54 pmSaw this, thought it looked rad as hell, figured I'd animate it and get it functional! Hands from the community hands resource sprite sheet, and the handle in the reload animation is from Sonik.o.Fan's recent shotgun pistol. Also my first attempt at reflecting muzzle flash off the gun itself. May end up adding that to every gun in my mod without it!

Click the image to view the animation.
Glad you like the sprite. The original modeler also needs to be credited for making this weapon model with brilliant quality! Also nice reloading animation, too.
inkoalawetrust
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by inkoalawetrust »

I've remade Metal Slugs' Di-Cokka as a 3D model. And created a Doom sprite set out of it for my vehicle NPC mod.

Here's how the assets are used in-game, on my vehicle mod:

Besides the tank sprites, I've also released the actual Blender and BIMP (A GIMP plugin) project files. Including the original sprites rendered directly from Blender.

The sprite set:
(This isn't the whole sprite set, it was just easier to make a one shot animation than manually create a sheet for hundreds of sprites)

And here are some of the original Metal Slug sprites of the tank for comparison:

For further comparison, here is the original concept art design of the Di-Cokka that I used as a reference (I used the actual original sprites too of course, for color reference mostly.)
Spoiler:
And here is a render of my Di-Cokka model in the same pose (Or as close as I could get to it.)
Spoiler:
The sprites themselves:
The hull and turret sprites are separate. Which allows for making the hull and turret move and act independent of each other. As I've done in my own mod.
The tank also uses fire particles effects, like the ones it produces in the games when low on health. Along with sprites for the separate firing effect, projectile sprites, projectile explosion sprites, and the debris and explosion is spawns when it's gibbed. All of those sprites are directly taken from Metal Slug, and are included as well.

The tanks' sprites are the first ones I've ever made to actually be able to crushed down to Dooms' palette without looking like shit. Which means that it's also possible to recolor them with palette translations:
Speaking of palette translations, here is the list of the palette translations available in my mod to customize each tank:
Spoiler:
Design changes:
I tried to follow the original design of the tank pretty closely. Except for some bits I couldn't recreate, like the exact shape of the turret. Some parts I deliberately changed, like the exact Rebel symbol used on the side of the turret. Or how the Di-Cokka has a pain animation set similar to the one that the Slug Tank has in the games.
There's some other differences too, most made due to how I implemented the assets to my mod. Like how there are sprites of the turret aiming up and down, since the turrets in my mod can do that. But you could reuse those aiming sprites to more accurately recreate the Di-Cokkas' attack animation, where the gun raises and then lowers to fire, instead of firing more like a normal tank, like it does on my mod.

Download links:
The project files (Blender files and BIMP procedures for optimizing the sprites, also contains a README with important info): https://drive.google.com/file/d/16dQeQf ... share_link
The sprites (Final versions of the Di-Cokka sprites that I used in the Military Vehicles Pack, and the Metal Slug sprites it also uses): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fsYNcf ... share_link
Daryn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Professional X64

Post by Daryn »

This is one of the more fun things I've seen. I was happy you shared the progress of this as you were making it. Doom is about having fun and playing it how you want, and this is just that, a lot of fun.

Oh, and thanks for all the help lately, too.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

We need the Metal Slug Doom mod, we NEED it :)

Try to remake other Machinery from it, can be one of the cooler mods.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

doomjedi wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:16 am We need the Metal Slug Doom mod, we NEED it :)

Try to remake other Machinery from it, can be one of the cooler mods.
I second this.
I mean, we have Iron Snail already.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Your vehicle NPC mods are fantastic and this one's very surprising to see! I like how it indicates a lock on visual during the aim.

And of course i'm also in for Metal Slug themed doom mod to happen. Making it Zandronum-friendly for multiplayer btw, would be like playing the game in 4P glory
Ganbare-Lucifer
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ganbare-Lucifer »

So... I made an Elemental Shotgun using the Goth Super Shotgun sprites from Supercharge

Besides the classic boom, it has fire, electric, ice, and acid shots.
inkoalawetrust

Post by inkoalawetrust »

Captain J wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:29 am Your vehicle NPC mods are fantastic and this one's very surprising to see! I like how it indicates a lock on visual during the aim.
Do you mean the lines and plasma ball sprite that appear at the intro when the tanks are about to fire ? Those were just debug line trace visuals I had forgotten on during that take, which I couldn't reshoot because all my other takes were shit compared to the one with the debug cruft.

If you mean the warning zones that alert the marines 1 second in advance though, then yeah thanks. I figured that armed turrets that are firing at marines should be able to actually alert them, a feature I had somehow not thought to implement the moment I had made the last vehicle (The APC/IFV).
Captain J wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:29 am And of course i'm also in for Metal Slug themed doom mod to happen.
As for a Metal Slug Doom mod. Probably not since I'm busy with the MVP. I may however make the NOP-3 Sarubia at some point. Should be relatively simple since I can just reuse the Di-Cokkas' chassis, since they share the same chassis design both in the actual sprites, and in the official scale models of the Di-Cokka and Sarubia.

I also plan on making some mech at some point, after also learning skeletal animation. In which case I'll probably also make the LV Armor as a warmup for making the mech. After all, I also partially made the Di-Cokka to try out improving my modelling and sprite rendering, learning how to make and animate tracks etc, so that I can make a considerably more realistic main battle tank next.
Captain J wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:29 am Making it Zandronum-friendly for multiplayer btw, would be like playing the game in 4P glory
Probably not, I don't really play multiplayer at all, and don't really bother making MP compatible code. As for a Zandronum version, I wouldn't wish having to make mods more advanced than 2009 ZDoom mods in Zandronum even to my worst enemies lol. TDRR did make a version of the MVP for Zandronum at some point though for shits and giggles. But it only includes the Army Car, doesn't have the Smart Marines (Obviously), and also TDRR just did it to see if someone COULD feasibly get the mod working in Zandronum, so he has given up on developing that.
Tsran908

Post by Tsran908 »

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

inkoalawetrust wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:13 pmDo you mean the lines and plasma ball sprite that appear at the intro when the tanks are about to fire ? Those were just debug line trace visuals I had forgotten on during that take, which I couldn't reshoot because all my other takes were shit compared to the one with the debug cruft.
Yeah, those white lines coming from turret's barrel before firing. Thought it was some kind of feature able to toggle on or off since it doesn't appear later in the video. Not i get that it was simply a debug stuff! Good to know.

I'm simply wondering if Metal Slug can be a thing in faithful level. Also i do aware of Zandronum being way outdated, janky to the point would like to handle ZScript instead so i get your thoughts on this. Thanks for the reply and keep up the good work!
CherubCorps

Post by CherubCorps »

Don't chase the bunny.
rabbit-run.gif
rabbit-run-smol.gif
rabbit-run-smol.gif (6 KiB) Viewed 7290 times
Sonik.o.fan

Post by Sonik.o.fan »

Simple rocket launcher spritework
Angel-Neko_X
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Angel-Neko_X »

Team Fortress Classic shotgun
Click this image for see the animation

Here's the sprite sheet
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Sonik.o.fan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:10 am

Simple rocket launcher spritework
It has that Amuscaria's old work vibes and it's so delightful. Good stuff!
Crossed Guns

Post by Crossed Guns »

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a sprite sheet of Doom 2016 hands? It would be extremely useful for a project idea I have

Return to “General”