[0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Release: 0.10.1

Post by ToxicFrog »

0.10.1 is out and should hopefully fix these reported bugs.
Gourry wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:35 pm New vm abort with shield. Should I have not added the melee buffs on the ssg? It still shows up for that.
The buffs shouldn't be showing up on the SSG (PB has it flagged as a melee weapon for some reason) but taking them shouldn't break anything. I can't reproduce the crash but it implies that either pawn (the player) or attacker (the thing damaging you) is null, and it's easy to add checks for that.
mamaluigisbagel wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:12 am Using BDLite, the Aggressive Defense ability on a weapon will destroy projectiles VISUALLY, but will still hurt the player if they reach them. It basically just turns the projectile invisible.
That's honestly kind of a cool bug, but I think I've fixed it now.
DarkkOne wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:41 am Are seekers really common enough to warrant two upgrades relating to them? Since one's a weapon upgrade and one's a player upgrade, they'll never take up two of your choices at the same time, but like... most of the upgrades here are "generally useful." They aren't restricted to only affecting specific enemies, or other narrow situations.
Honestly, it depends on what mod/levels you're playing. Some maps go really heavy on the revenants, and some mods (like Pandemonia) add a bunch more types of seeker enemies, and it'll be more useful those circumstances. Similarly, Hazard Suit is a situationally-useful upgrade that's really good if the mapper enjoyed using hurt floors and useless in levels without them.

These also aren't the only upgrades that are not damage-focused; Blast Shaping and Tough as Nails have existed for a while and are purely defensive, and Intuition is informational. Honestly, one thing I'd kind of like to do in the long term is prune globally-useful "do more damage/take less damage" upgrades and replace them with upgrades that are perhaps more powerful, but also more situational.

All that said, I do agree that it's not great gamefeel when an upgrade pops up that isn't actually useful because enemies with seekers (or hurt floors, or what have you) are super rare in the megawad you're playing.

A few ideas I've been kicking around for revisions, in no particular order:
- follow your idea and merge these upgrades with other defensive upgrades. I actually kinda like the idea of a "retaliatory" upgrade for each of the elemental trees, in which case ECM and Flares would fit in naturally as secondary effects for the Static Skin and Burning Skin upgrades. Of course, I'd still need to come up with actual effects for all of these, and possibly tweak Thorns so they don't make each other redundant.
- Make it possible for them to "hack" non-seeker projectiles as well, maybe at a reduced chance, turning them into friendly seekers with the same mechanism used by the Homing Shots upgrade; or, failing that, at least mess with their trajectory so they are less likely to hit you.
- Upgrade ECM to a general purpose "parry/redirect" defensive ability that can deflect hitscans as well as projectiles into nearby enemies.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [0.10.0] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

did you end up adjusting the homing shots? I haven't played doom for a little bit so i'm not up to date on what's new
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Nems »

I was going to wait and provide feedback until I finished playing through the NOVA megawads with mods but I'd like to go ahead and report a possible bug as well as a suggestion.

When playing this with Indestructable, if a shotgun has the Swiftness upgrade and you kill a demon with it while in an Indesctrutable state that has slow mode enabled, it produces some really jerky movements. The best way I can describe it is that there's a rubberbanding effect when both are working at the same time. As a result I've taken to avoiding the Swiftness upgrade (which isn't a big deal considering I prefer Dark Harvest anyway :P) but I figured I'd let you know about it. Otherwise, it may be a good idea to let people know that having the slow mode and time freeze active from both mods at the same time will cause issues. :P

Would it be possible to make a cold/freezing inscription effect? That kind of thing would be very handy in maps where there's a lot of monsters. That and I like shattering them in general. :P

Absolutely love this mod though. It scratches that RPG itch while also keeping things varied because you have no idea what upgrades you'll be presented with. I also like that you can disable upgrades as well (which is handy when I pick something out of a selection of upgrades I don't like :P).
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

New issue with bandolier upgrade: after getting it and a couple of levels; can't pickup anymore ammo and the ammo count goes down. Even with PB's backpack upgrade, it still goes down.
Kinda miss having dark harvest mod on other weapons.

Edit: works fine after updating PB.
Edit 2: Still having the issue after getting the heavy backpack upgrade in PB
Last edited by Gourry on Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hey, Toxic! Just wanted to report that I am recieving the following VM abort error - in this scenario, the abort was triggered after Berserk-punching someone while having Sweep on (playing on Zagemod with Corruption Cards on)

Here's a picture of the stack trace: (from Delta Touch)
https://imgur.com/a/SiKXqFN

[Edit] I only saw a 0.10.1 version uploaded now! Moving to that one after my playthrough, the error above is from 0.10.0!
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

0.10.1 probably isn't going to fix that bug, so I'll add it to the list for 0.10.2!
Dan_The_Noob wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:12 pm did you end up adjusting the homing shots? I haven't played doom for a little bit so i'm not up to date on what's new
Yep, let me know how it works out -- there are some balance changes (shorter lock-on range, tweaked turn speed), but the big change is that homing shots now check line of sight to target before confirming lock, which should (nearly) eliminate occurences of flying into terrain.
DoomThing445
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by DoomThing445 »

I've found a bug relating to DeHacked Defense. Whenever you use the Bandolier upgrade, it works up until you enter the next level, at which point it then thinks you don't have the upgrade and brings your ammo capacity back to default (2x if you got a backpack, 1x if you didn't)
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Turning the upgrade off and on again from the Gun Bonsai upgrade menu might fix that. If not, I'll have to do more debugging. Ammo stuff is kind of fragile because gzDoom doesn't really have a concept of "ammo bonus capacity" or the like that I can tweak -- it just has "current ammo capacity" and stuff like picking up a backpack, Pandemonia's ammo bonuses, etc just edit that directly.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

I belive i found a bug but i belive it could be used for a upgrade down the line. the bandolier upgrade alongside upgradeing your ammo max, also seams to also raise the max mag capacity for certain guns.

This is most noticeable with SUPERCHARGE. as it affects ALL its Mag based weapons. however mods like DEMOLITIONIST/SWWM are not affected by this. i still need to test other mods in case i find other cases but just so you know.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

Just tested with HighNoonDrifter and it also does not affect the weapons. it seams to be a SUPERCHARGE only thing interestingly.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

kadu522 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:09 pm Just tested with HighNoonDrifter and it also does not affect the weapons. it seams to be a SUPERCHARGE only thing interestingly.
Can confirm this was an issue with BDLite as well, so it seems to only affect certain mods.
r&r

Post by r&r »

Was playing Castlevania: Simon's Destiny mod I know if you upgrade Shield ability and kill the Balloon Pod/jelly-fish things and have
the spores touch you the gave crashs

and it says it got something to do about the Shield? and then i turn it off, it didn't crash it worked find.

Oh I got Melee upgrade idea, How about longer reach upgrade?
able to hit and reach a a few inches or half a foot further?
I guess for games or mods that are melee focus more?
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

Not sure if it's this mod or PB that caused the vm abort
This was on pistol with lvl 3 revivification on the mancubus.

vm abort: https://imgur.com/a/abG4cZV

Load order with gzdoom 4.10.0:

Project_Brutality-master.zip
Corruption-Cards-v4.5a.pk3
GunBonsai-0.10.1.pk3
gearbox-v.0.7.2.pk3
FadeMe.pk3
flashlight_plus_plus_v8_5.pk3
target-spy-v2.0.1.pk3

Don't know which one of these is causing this but it causes gzdoom to hang(?) when shooting an enemy randomly in certain areas

upgrade list image: https://imgur.com/a/0LcH0Mk
edit: added new error
edit 2: aggressive defence seems to be causing it randomly for some reason in enclosed area
Last edited by Gourry on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoomThing445
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by DoomThing445 »

ToxicFrog wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:27 pm Turning the upgrade off and on again from the Gun Bonsai upgrade menu might fix that. If not, I'll have to do more debugging. Ammo stuff is kind of fragile because gzDoom doesn't really have a concept of "ammo bonus capacity" or the like that I can tweak -- it just has "current ammo capacity" and stuff like picking up a backpack, Pandemonia's ammo bonuses, etc just edit that directly.
That's the thing, it seems to do this with DeHacked Defense, not most other mods. There's probably something in DeHacked Defense that makes it incompatible with the bandolier upgrade. I would check it out myself, but I have no knowledge on how Zscript or even acs or decorate works
Exibius
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Exibius »

Applying the "Rapid Fire" upgrade on any weapon running LegenDoom alongside this causes the weapon to no longer be droppable using alt-fire. Ran just the 2 mods alone to make sure nothing else conflicted; still occurs.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”