Payback/ROGUES Weapons and Characters Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lim0n4eG

Re: Payback Weapons and Characters Mod

Post by Lim0n4eG »

Wonderful mod. Especially cool with human enemies. Been looking for something like this for a long time. Thank you very much for such a good job.

Tell me please, how elaborate are the weapons that don't spawn on levels? Why can they only be obtained through a cheat code? Is it just a matter of balance?
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

adski_drochila wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:00 am how elaborate are the weapons that don't spawn on levels? Why can they only be obtained through a cheat code? Is it just a matter of balance?
the only weapons not currently spawning on levels are the player specific unique ones (pistol/melee mostly) this was mostly to make each character a little bit more unique, and a few other odd ones (these were planned to be used in an enemy set to go with this). The golden luger was supposed to be used by a boss character. The tranq rifle was going to do unique damage but works really well otherwise and the compound bow just looks bad graphically.

besides those everything else should turn up in levels, although some replace non weapon spawns like the blursphere. You will also see far more in mods where enemies drop pistols instead of clips.

Also very glad you enjoyed it. always nice to get some feedback.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

This mod is super amazing, some cool weapons, characters, and overall fun gameplay.

I do question the use of dumping the weapons as you do, it is a little awkward having it be the alternate fire then a dedicated key (Not a huge issue with some keybinding change) , but dumping a weapon to lose it, and losing all the ammo in it is a little annoying in more monster-heavy maps when you may need said ammo from a weapon put into a better weapon pickup just a few feet away (Or if you are playing with monsters that do not drop weapons/ammo such as xenomorph invasion, making the gathering of any ammo in the area more important.)

Edit: The mods used below are fine with the latest Russian mercs, nothing going wrong.

There was a clash when I used this with Russian Mercs, with the error "R_InstallSprite: Sprite STZO frame U is missing rotations" given. I checked and there is an updated version of Russian Mercs so I will check that out to make sure if this 3.2.3 version works. The version I had tried initially was v2-9.

This is really fun though and among my favorite mods!

Edit: I would like to suggest an idea for weapons on the ground as one thing that's kind of annoying to get used to is figuring out which weapons go in which slot.

Giving them a few pixels of color above or discreetly drawn on the weapon ground sprites to indicate where they go can help players quickly decide on what to pick up, and what to dump, which can be helpful if they don't want to dump too many weapons trying to figure out what slot they have to clear out to get the new fancy weapon, or the weapon they need most of all in that situation.
Lim0n4eG

Post by Lim0n4eG »

Will you make zoom effect for weapons with scope?
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Shatter-Thought[V-4] wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:31 am ..I do question the use of dumping the weapons as you do, it is a little awkward having it be the alternate fire then a dedicated key..
..but dumping a weapon to lose it, and losing all the ammo in it is a little annoying in more monster-heavy maps ..
..Or if you are playing with monsters that do not drop weapons/ammo.

Edit: I would like to suggest an idea for weapons on the ground as one thing that's kind of annoying to get used to is figuring out which weapons go in which slot. Giving them a few pixels of color above or discreetly drawn on the weapon ground sprites..
-This is a carryover from originally throwing the weapons at bad guys when out of ammo, also I'm still very much an amateur coder and worry about screwing stuff up, this was best way for me to avoid doing that.
-you really don't lose out very much for dumping guns. and it's actually more ammo effective then reloading sometimes.(example, you have a mp5 with 5 rounds left and there's a fresh one on the ground you could walk over it and grab 10 rounds (all weapons give you some reserve ammo even if you don't pick them up) reload and have a 15 round clip. Or dump it, pick up the new one and get the 10 round reserve plus full 30 clip(as all weapons come fully loaded) its one of the times where autoswitching weapons is actually useful.
-this is always going to be a problem. unless I increase the amount of ammo in pickups which could swing it the other way.
-Last point is actually a very good idea. and something I overlooked (very easy for me to know which weapons go were for some reason :lol: ) and will most likely implement something like this.
adski_drochila wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:04 pm Will you make zoom effect for weapons with scope?
-this is actually planned at some point, I normally don't like scopes or zooming in doom mods as the enemies don't really give you time to carefully aim and short of special set up maps, sniping is generally not needed. but also, don't like them being there and unusable, it is also fairly easy to do this. for now, they already have increased accuracy over non scoped weapons.

Glad to hear your both enjoying this. I currently have this/and its unreleased expansion Rogues on hiatus due to real life stuff and working on another project but seeing people interested always gets the old motivation going, so might update it sooner then later.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

so, as a test I chucked some simple little squares on the weapon sprites to see what difference it made and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it makes spotting weapon classes. so here is a copy for anyone interested.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr9savm9txkjj ... s.zip?dl=0
super simple

projectiles are grey P
light pistols are blue L, heavy is blue H
basic shotguns are red S, extra shotguns are red X
autopistols are yellow A, smgs are yellow S
rifles are green M, assault rifles are green A
launchers are orange H
mgs and flamer are pink H
all the character specific weapons have white/crossed squares so you know you cant dump them. as does the law as everyone can carry them
and I didn't bother with melee weapons (unsure if need to)

also it works great with either of my cartoony enemy packs if you haven't tried them viewtopic.php?f=43&t=74226
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Coming very Soon!

will also be updating base Payback slightly at same time.
Matt Eldrydge

Post by Matt Eldrydge »

Oh, that's very cool! I didn't even know this would be getting what I assume is an expansion pack of sorts.

I also have a small question, but is there any monster mod you suggest for Payback? I imagine something like your own Army of Oz would work just fine, but the mapset I intend to pair with Payback looks like the kind of place you'd see more urban monsters in...

I'm not able to link things yet (I presume BBCode is turned off for new accounts for a while), so no here it is: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... ban-decay/
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Matt Eldrydge wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:55 pm 1.Oh, that's very cool! I didn't even know this would be getting what I assume is an expansion pack of sorts.

2.is there any monster mod you suggest for Payback?

3.I'm not able to link things yet
1-there are technically 2 expansion/alternate versions coming Rogues and Lost. both are almost done just fine-tuning stuff currently.

2-GoonsOfOz! (its not released yet but nearing completion finally), but seriously. I mostly am using Army of Oz currently.
there's unfortunately a big gap for urban enemy sets that a few of us are attempting to fix

-both my punisher/manhunt monster replacers work well but the art style might turn people off.viewtopic.php?p=1214319&hilit=punisher+ ... y#p1214319 the Allmix version further down the page is probably my favorite.

-Russian mercenaries is great and works very well with this but the art style varies heavily due to lack of resources.
viewtopic.php?t=72971&hilit=russian+mercs

-hell from earth has really good Ai and more consistent feel but the sweary Russians/Mexicans/terrorists might not be for everyone.
viewtopic.php?t=76970&hilit=hell+from+earth

3-your need 5 or 10 posts (pretty sure its 5) to unlock access to private messages/and stuff.
Lim0n4eG

Post by Lim0n4eG »

Let me ask a question. Is Payback Rogues a standalone mod or an addition with new characters for the old Payback?
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Lim0n4eG wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:43 pm Let me ask a question. Is Payback Rogues a standalone mod or an addition with new characters for the old Payback?
its technically standalone because you only have access to the new nine characters and lots of weapons are replaced by new but similar ones.
..but.. everything from normal payback is still included in it just not in weapon spawns/character select screen.

so there would be nothing to stop me from adding them back in later and having 20 playable characters and a huge arsenal.

"give all" still does exactly that and you end up with this

which give you roughly 150 weapons. which is ridiculous.
Matt Eldrydge

Post by Matt Eldrydge »

[quote=DeeDeeOZ post_id=1237848 time=1678441499 user_id=34333]
-snip-
[/quote]

Got it, thanks for all the suggestions and best of luck with your work here!
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

DeeDeeOZ wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:12 am Coming very Soon!

will also be updating base Payback slightly at same time.
The pantsless beret guy slightly looks like Saddam Hussein from the movie Hot Shots 2 when he is running out from his domain, firing two SMG's in random directions, shocking both of his troops and american marines)
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

Nomakh wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:03 pm The pantsless beret guy slightly looks like Saddam Hussein from the movie Hot Shots 2
I can defiantly see it. (great movie as well, rewatched it last year).

He's a Scottish security guard and one of those hyper marathon fitness guys who wear shorts all year around obnoxiously no matter the temperature.
I know some guys like this in real life and pretty sure they honestly don't own a pair of pants. one even got married in shorts.

EDIT* -just updated main page with current version (1.5D) of Payback now with usable scopes for all weapons that have them, bound to Zoom.
-they will also have improved accuracy when scoped at cost of reduced vision.
-probably the finalized version of Payback for now or at least until I get Rogues out.
-I've also almost completed another enemy set to go with this so hopefully have couple of releases at once.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

some voice sounds are like from ja2 mod 1.13

Return to “Gameplay Mods”