Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Colerx

Re: Walpurgis 0.97 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [Geomancy Preview]

Post by Colerx »

damn great work!!!
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

NGX wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:50 am Hey man :) It could look cool if the alternate fire on the flaming hammer, has you crouch and slam the ground instead.
Loved your work, great job :)
You mean on the tertiary fire? That one is already a point of contention for some people who hate the camera being moved. Also stopping movement for a crouch might cause some to flip out. :) I might consider a short hop like the Wolf Ground Slam already does though, that might be cool.

Glad you're enjoying the mod.
Colerx wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:10 pm damn great work!!!
Thanks!
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

No video to show off this week; I've been working on the upgrades and mutations of Lapis Flos as well as the Tertiary Fire, but unfortunately, the implementation of the Tertiary Fire ended up quite rubbish compared to what I originally envisioned for it, and I didn't find it useful or unique enough.

In case you were wondering, it was originally supposed to be a localised tremour; a little bit like an Earthquake version of Firestorm's Tertiary, but it just ended up looking a bit pants (or eye cancer, with no in-between that I could manage). I also tried turning it into a directed fissure but this version, whilst more interesting, suffers from the problem that it only looks good on bright and uncomplicated floors (since dark crack-type floor decals don't show up well otherwise).

So we're back to the drawing board for that. At the moment, I'm considering an Earth Golem summon of some sorts, but take that with a pinch of salt. I always go through lots of implementations with stuff like this which is why it can take a while!

Also, heads up in advance, I'm going on a Cruise for a week from the 10th of March, so I'll be entirely out of contact then.
Impulse9
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10

Post by Impulse9 »

stay tuned I look forward to following your updates!
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Impulse9 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:07 am stay tuned I look forward to following your updates!
Indeed, watch this space.
BlkSteel27

Re: Walpurgis 0.95 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.95 IS OUT!]

Post by BlkSteel27 »

eharper256 wrote:

"At the moment, a Scimitar, a Bardiche, and a Crossbow are all also being considered as well as the original plan."

I know this is a little late, but please don't scrap the idea of a Bardiche in your mod. At least not for Parias but for Baratus the warrior. I'd absolutely love to have a Bardiche as a possible upgrade path to Timon's Vorpal Axe. Having a Bardiche (especially a magic enchanted one similar to Timon's Axe) for Baratus would be my dream come true in a Hexen wad. I could provide a first person sprite sheet in interested. PM me and I can provide a few resources.
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.95 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [0.95 IS OUT!]

Post by eharper256 »

BlkSteel27 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:08 am eharper256 wrote:

"At the moment, a Scimitar, a Bardiche, and a Crossbow are all also being considered as well as the original plan."

I know this is a little late, but please don't scrap the idea of a Bardiche in your mod. At least not for Parias but for Baratus the warrior. I'd absolutely love to have a Bardiche as a possible upgrade path to Timon's Vorpal Axe. Having a Bardiche (especially a magic enchanted one similar to Timon's Axe) for Baratus would be my dream come true in a Hexen wad. I could provide a first person sprite sheet in interested. PM me and I can provide a few resources.
Although Parias now definately has the longspear and it's become his signature weapon (I think this post was referring to that, which was quite a while ago); I am still in the process of making alternate third weapons; so I won't discount a bardiche as an option. Baratus' is still up in the air, and Parias' has a solid concept (which I won't disclose yet, but its cool) but no sprites done yet.

Both of these slot fillers need to serve alternative roles to their other-3 counterparts. Hammer and Firestorm are both mid-range reliable ranged AoE, so they need strong close-combat counterparts or weaker but long ranged single target counterparts. Both are also Fire related, so need some thematic or elemental niche that's ideally untouched yet~ which is getting tough!

I welcome ideas from anyone, always, so feel free to PM me here or on the Discord with a link to your sprites and they will certainly be considered. :)
neto592

Post by neto592 »

Some ideas:

Baratus:

I think a long oriented ranger weapon even if is something lacking to Baratus I think it should be remain lacking because it should be his class weakness anyway.

I also like BlkSteel27 idea of bardiche as a weapon. However if it is to stick with earth elemental then a big ground shaking melee warhammer would be a better fitting in my opinion (also that would be one more reason for Daedolon weapon 3 3th mode summon a golem instead of shaking the ground).

Parias:

Being a crusader class I wish your solid idea involves a huge and heavy shield.

Illitheya:

-Fire
I don't think fire elemental is a good idea because that would likely be connected with AOE attack and all the other three classes already have that kind of weapon.

It could be a long range sort of explosive RPG weapon but then the Hebiko's Scepter in my opinion is already that (but with poison instead of fire).

But I think that as a fast fire damage weapon the Assassin class (Wrath of Cronos 3.1.4) Nail Cannon could be useful.

-Arcane or Ice

If Baratus has two weapons that are swords then why Illitheya as the "hit and run" class could not have a second bow or a crossbow but this time using arcane of ice? Something like a snipe kind of weapon I think. It could be similar for Hunter class (Wrath of Cronos 3.1.4 mod) Enchanted Bow (Arcane) or Glacial Crossbow (Ice). Also I think would be nice if they are silent attacks and less mana consuming as a alternative of the mana consuming Hebiko's Scepter (in my opinion).

-Shadow(Dark)

I think that another possibility would be use two crossbows from the Assassin class (Wrath of Cronos 3.1.4 mod) Impaler Crossbow (the small one) or Deathbringer Arbalest (the big one).

Or one could use Nercomancer shadow elemental weapons: Heart of Yorick, Lich Staff, Blood Staff or Raven Staff.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Thanks for the ideas, neto.

Don't forget, though, I'm always happy to sprite stuff myself, so I don't have to use any currently available sprites (and in fact prefer not to, unless I can modify them a fair bit, especially WoC stuff).

Baratus isn't locked to Earth Elemental, and I am indeed still considering the Bardiche (possibly with thunder). I wouldn't really want two hammers on 3 tbh.
Parias is actually possibly getting a sword to use with shield with some spectral powers.
Illitheya, as you say, already has long range poison AoE, in her case, the slot 3 weapon would be close range and is probably another transformation right now (an Insect-type is currently most likely), and already has Ice with the Wolf Form, though a Crossbow is still possible.

All these are, of course, up in the air until we actually get into spriting them.
neto592

Post by neto592 »

Thanks for answer me eharper256 :)

Baratus

Just to make clear. When I said warhammer I was talking about a huge and noising melee sledgehammer :rock:

It personally felt me strange that Baratus aversion to earth... :?

As I said before I like the bardiche idea as it is original (if I am not mistaken) but I just think the lack of "brutal force" of a earth-bending sledgehammer will be a miss to Baratus.

Parias

I am happy that is likely to him have a shield as part of a weapon in slot 3 too.

Illitheya

I kind forgot that she already had ice as a slot 2 weapon...

And about a slot 3 weapon being a melee oriented transformation... :shock:

I have to say that you totally changed my mind... Forget that crossbow! Another melee oriented transformation would be much more cool instead :mrgreen:

And more useful as well! As it direct appeals to her fort that it is her versatility. More of her alternation capabilities between a ranger and a melee attacks would reward furthermore a quick witted action from the player into exploiting a opening.

I have nothing against a insect looking form per say... But what somehow trouble me is how could a insectoid morph be any different from a poison oriented type? (Taking in consideration the already existing poison type Hebiko's Scepter as a slot 3 weapon).

Anyway, keep the good work. :cheers:
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

So a Maul, rather than a Warhammer then? In actual fact, if I can ever get motivation, I was always planning on making new Hammer of Retribution sprites to make it into a two hander, so you may eventually get your wish. No guarantees for that, though.

And yes, I know you see Insect and think Poison, but the current idea was more of a slashy mantis type that was earth and plant themed, like this sort of thing:Image

Though more with crystals; probably.
neto592

Post by neto592 »

Yes what I was trying to mean is a big earth-bending dual hand Maul. =:)

Sorry if I was no enough clear before. :bang:

And since the Stone Mantis is not poison based I am personally all favor to it. And as a bonus it uses earth and plant theme attacks. In my opinion I think earth element is a lot underused on games and plant theme (when is different from poison) even less used than earth.

Thanks for all the clarifications. :D
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

No problem. Happens to us all!
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Well yikes; for the weekly update this week, I don't have much to say.

I feel like all the last week has been making preparations to go on holiday (I'm off this Friday for a week).

There's so much you kind of forget about until the last minute~ travel insurance, getting currency, organising luggage etc.

With work also quite busy with me making sure I'm on top of things before I go, all I've really got around to for Walp this week, as a result, is a few fixes from my 'to do' list and a couple of extra sprites. As you might imagine, there also will not be an update directly from me next week. But we will get there eventually.
Impulse9
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10

Post by Impulse9 »

Have a great time and enjoy your well-deserved vacation!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”