Wolfenstein 3D: Chalice of Glory

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NachtIntellect

Wolfenstein 3D: Chalice of Glory

Post by NachtIntellect »

Hello all you wonderful people, have I got news for you today is the day, I have been grinding along trying to finish up as much as Wolfenstein 3D Chalice of Glory as possible and now I am releasing it to the public, so what does this include?

- 4 levels (5 if you find the secret but shh)
- 10 enemies (5 returning, 2 reskinned enemies, 3 entirely new)
- 7 weapons (Original 4, 3 newbies)
This offers a small slice of just what we have to offer

I'm a bit disorganised to be entirely honest I had a whole forum post written out somewhere in a text file and I seem to have lost it so this will just have to do, here's a download link, screenshots below, there's videos on my youtube here's a download link hosted on discord

Wolfenstein 3D Chalice of Glory Demo V1.1:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 2805b044b&
Spoiler: Changelog:
You'll need the VSWAP file from either Wolfenstein 3D or Spear of Destiny therefore it's recommended to get a steam version
Spoiler: Episode 1 Progress
Spoiler: Images
Spoiler: Credits to amazing people
Last edited by NachtIntellect on Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Wolfenstein 3D: Chalice of Glory

Post by Kinsie »

Played the first level and a bit. I feel like there's a bit too little texture detail/contrast. In this scene, for example, the back wall past the ledge just looks like a continuation of the ledge as a single solid wall.

You can't really use lighting to fix this due to the Wolf3D aesthetic, but Wolf3D did use "darker" variants of textures to fake lighting contrast. Something like this may be useful.

I also felt the bits I played leaned too heavily on the new flamethrower, which was the only weapon I could find/use outside of the Pistol, to the point where it kind of exposed its biggest flaw: You can't see what you're shooting at!

The new assets seem pretty well done, though, I'm interested in seeing more.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I like it, but why do I need to have the VSWAP from the original game? I'm playing fan levels, not the original, am I not?
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Wiw wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:57 am I like it, but why do I need to have the VSWAP from the original game? I'm playing fan levels, not the original, am I not?
Legal protection which is necessary when you’re including entire data sets from commercial games.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

I've seen this on YT, looks absolutely fabulous :) Good luck with it!
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

Kinsie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:08 pm Played the first level and a bit. I feel like there's a bit too little texture detail/contrast. In this scene, for example, the back wall past the ledge just looks like a continuation of the ledge as a single solid wall.

You can't really use lighting to fix this due to the Wolf3D aesthetic, but Wolf3D did use "darker" variants of textures to fake lighting contrast. Something like this may be useful.
Hey there Kinsie, first of all thank you for the feedback muchly appreciated, here's what we are doing to somewhat fix it, and I've done this for several places with a ledge for the time being, it should at the very least allow for determination on where there is a floor above an area, we are also going to have a texture and color mode for the flats and ceilings which should further help to distinguish between floors, infact AFADoomer has already implemented it, I am just now waiting on textures.

Kinsie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:08 pmI also felt the bits I played leaned too heavily on the new flamethrower, which was the only weapon I could find/use outside of the Pistol, to the point where it kind of exposed its biggest flaw: You can't see what you're shooting at!
If I recall there was a specific setting for GZDoom to render sprites transparent? I'll have to have a look at it when I have the time if not then it's just simple for us to implement our own for things like the Flamethrower, Flame Trooper and the upcoming Heavy Flamethrower. Yeah those first 2 levels put you in a lot of close quarters situations, I am likely going to merge and overhaul the first 2 maps for episode 2 launch, they were just small enough for the player to get used to early combat.
Kinsie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:08 pmThe new assets seem pretty well done, though, I'm interested in seeing more.
Thank you very much, I cannot express my thanks enough to people like Sgt Shivers, JoeyTD, Atina, Nex & AFADoomer
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

I played around and am quite happy with the project. I feel that the project will be quite good! I will expect a Full Release! :)

Read more about the work here (In Russian): https://doomguy.ru/community/topic/wolf ... ostid-4809
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

Just some early screenshots of E1L1, waiting for all the assets to be finalised then I am going to see if I can get some people to participate in making maps, ain't no way I am doing 7-9 levels by myself.

Anyway I've been busy we've decided to add a new wall shader which AFADoomer worked, which automatically shades the east and west walls, we lose a bit of detail on those darker textures and it may look a bit odd but it was put in place cause I was a little sick of changing textures, you can call it lazy if it turns out to be an issue well it means I am going to have to make dark textures from all of out current which is quite frankly, a pain in the ass that inflates the amount of textures.
Spoiler: Spoiler that will not actually stop the images from loading but helps trim down the fat of the post, ridiculously long spoiler name
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

I've been made aware that there was an issue with the MD5 checker, this is a critical bug that needed to be addressed asap. I have since cherry picked a commit from AFA that fixed this and have released a new version: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... d8cc191a4&

Changelog:
- Fixed MD5 checker

Also here's a preview of the upcoming episode 1

Zenon

Post by Zenon »

As Discord's filehosting is no longer permanent, can we have a reupload?
The links say that the content is no longer available.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

I've hosted an alternate download for the CoG Demo on my web server.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Many thanks

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”