[5.5] Corruption Cards - 200+ Gameplay warping cards!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DarkQuill

Re: [4.4a] Corruption Cards - +20 new cards!

Post by DarkQuill »

Cutmanmike wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:20 am the projectile is doing unorthodox things to the player and needs to die correctly (which reflect prevents). The mod needs to account for situations where the projectile is removed from play (or just give it DONTREFLECT for a lazy fix).
Makes sense! I've added DontReflect to the player-controlled rocket which now prevents accidental soft-locking, and will just have to try to not abuse it around reflective monsters.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [4.5a] Corruption Cards - Daily Challenge update!

Post by Gourry »

Not sure if mentioned: I don't have this CCcard in place on chaos but a random monster just shrinks.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

got bane wildcard - when he grabs and throws you ur camera lowers a little bit, im playing without always mouselook so i have to press center view button everytime he does this, not a big issue, but maybe there is a way for it to reset the camera when always mouselook is enabled?
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

trying final doomer and vanilladoomplus monster randomizer with cards - with petrification zombies do not drop anything(i guess its the same for every other monster that has drops), using ancient aliens bfg replacement on enemies with reflection instantly gets me to very fatal error, not sure if those bfg rays are actually projectiles and not hitscanners
Attachments
изображение_2023-02-28_155159409.png
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Will fix. Surprised I never encountered that as I'm almost always playing final doomer with CC.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hey Mike! Amazing new cards as of the current release! I think the infighting gangs might be a new favorite!

I do have two VM aborts to report - I'm currently playing with Zagemod 1.5 among several other mods.

First off, I get this error on occasion when playing with the new friendly marines zombify when killed card:

https://i.imgur.com/xIKCWlk.jpeg

I was able to get this seemingly when a friendly marine looked at me (and was able to reliably replicate it on a saved game repeatedly - I enter a room, a marine looking away looks at me and in the end of that frame, the VM abort happens)

Second bug is a bit of an old one and I think it's only now I can state with confidence on what's causing it - the following is an array index error that I think is related to the Parasitic Card (the one that changes a single card in the stack). I think most important would be that I have this card on as a permanent card.

Https://i.imgur.com/2RXNMrI.jpeg

Thanks for the great work again, Mike!
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

i noticed that infighting monsters will focus on you if one of them has carrier upgrade, might turn bad if cyberdemon can pick up barons so you will have to deal with them too
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:42 am Second bug is a bit of an old one and I think it's only now I can state with confidence on what's causing it - the following is an array index error that I think is related to the Parasitic Card (the one that changes a single card in the stack). I think most important would be that I have this card on as a permanent card.

How long did you have Parasitic Card? Did you change episodes or manually switch maps at any point? I'm having trouble reproducing this, been trying to for a while as its happened to other users.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I tried to run this with the Call of Doom mod by Arrowood using the brutal version, and the monsters kept disappearing at the start of each map. So I downloaded the brutal doom fix to see if that would fix it, and that's a big nope, it actually gives me a VM abort with various errors. The only thing that mod changes about the brutal doom monsters is the drops, everything else I think is the same. Only other reason I can think of why it would be crashing like that is if the mod itself is running a different version of BD. Any chance you can look into this?
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Cutmanmike wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:09 pm
MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:42 am Second bug is a bit of an old one and I think it's only now I can state with confidence on what's causing it - the following is an array index error that I think is related to the Parasitic Card (the one that changes a single card in the stack). I think most important would be that I have this card on as a permanent card.

How long did you have Parasitic Card? Did you change episodes or manually switch maps at any point? I'm having trouble reproducing this, been trying to for a while as its happened to other users.
Ah, apologies, I forgot to state the circumstances of the error: I've had the card for a couple of maps (don't remember when I precisely picked it up, but I'd like to say I've had it for at least maybe 6 maps prior) - the crash happens right after picking a card. In my case, I actually got the VM Abort right after picking a card on the last map in a megawad (attempting to reload a save resulted in the same including attempting to alter the RNG a bit on a previous map and exiting to the next again)
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

Still having issues with the Curse of Dormin card. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For example, can use weapons randomly.
When checking automap, can see player as normal and other times as monster.

Edit: changed some text
Ginji23

Post by Ginji23 »

Valherran wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:52 am I tried to run this with the Call of Doom mod by Arrowood using the brutal version, and the monsters kept disappearing at the start of each map. So I downloaded the brutal doom fix to see if that would fix it, and that's a big nope, it actually gives me a VM abort with various errors. The only thing that mod changes about the brutal doom monsters is the drops, everything else I think is the same. Only other reason I can think of why it would be crashing like that is if the mod itself is running a different version of BD. Any chance you can look into this?
I got the exact same error by loading Hell Pike's Custom Replacer with Dehacked Attack 4.0 and replacing all the monster spawns with specific monsters of my choosing. In fact, I compared both errors and they are exactly the same. All tested on Gzdoom 4.10.0:

Brutal Doom Community Expansion + Dox778's Fix:
Spoiler:
Hell Pike's Custom Replacer + Dehacked Attack 4.0:
Spoiler:
This issue seems to have begun with Corruption Cards 4.4a, as version 4.3 can run both flawlessly.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Fixed for next version. I've also tweaked how monsters are handled at the start of the level, so hopefully there won't be a need for any compatibility patches with brutal doom and it will work fine.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

So it's been a little while. I do have a full list of fixes and changes coming but I've added 0 cards since last time. The idea well is getting a little dry, so I figured I'd ask you guys for some ideas again. You've all played it and probably have a good idea of what is possible, so let me hear em :) Here's a few things I try to think of when making cards:
  • Is it mod proof? - Will this card make sense in most Doom mods? I try to avoid cards that are exclusive to the Doom 2 monster cast and can work in most scenarios. This is why there are so few player/weapon effecting cards. People who enjoy mods would not be able to experience them.
  • Does it play well with other cards? - I am a big fan of introducing mechanics that can potentially play with one another. For example, a card that causes a monster to damage nearby players. Now any card that causes monsters to dash or move faster towards players makes a fun/deadly synergy!
  • Is it different enough from other cards? - While there are a lot of cards that are similar or have the same trigger, I try to make every card unique enough so it never feels like you're choosing the same card if they both show during a selection. For example, the Inverted Gravity enchantment and the Flight enchantment essentially grant monsters the same ability: Being able to freely traverse the map and ignore floor height variation. However Inverted Gravity keeps monsters on the ceiling/sky longer, which makes the cards effect very different in certain combat situations.
Also it should go without saying by now, I don't make cards that outright help the player. I'm super down with cards that *could* help the player given the right context and card collection though, but ultimately they have to have some negative effect to them.

Lastly, Wild Cards. You may have noticed many Wild Cards referencing other Doom mods/maps. I would like to keep doing this, so feel free to suggest some silly cards that reference mechanics/monsters/feelings of maps. I may make them, but please give as much context as you can for why the card does what it does, as I haven't played every single Doom mod out there.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

I think some less specific cards could be good...
like "add more everything" monster cards.
or combo cards, like if you get 2 specific cards, it lets you access another card.
maybe you get "more barrels" + "fireball traps" it gives you one access to one that makes barrels shoot projectiles when they explode or something.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”