Snap the Sentinel (v2.4) ~ EPISODE 1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Snap the Sentinel (v2.2) ~ EPISODE 1

Post by Captain J »

Just beat Episode 1 again and yeah, those are decent and fair changes! Nice to see that Terajolts got nerfed and now i have to kick stuff to interact, obtain weapons. Which is fine because now i can reserve weapon without having to dodge.
Spoiler: Spoilers yo, and it's kinda about the kicking the weapon can mechanism
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Just wanted to pop by and say I just finished episode 1 and was blown away. That was insanely fun. Thanks! I'll def. be paying handsomely for future releases as it's clear a huge amount of time and love was poured into this.
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TehRealSalt »

Didn't plan on making this patch, but I see lots of blind playthroughs guilty of running the IWAD as a Doom PWAD (which causes lots of minor subtle issues that make the game look much more unpolished). Since I had to make a patch anyway, I went ahead and threw a bunch of quality of life tweaks already made for Episode 2.

Episode 2 development is still going well, but what has been done isn't really showable -- lots of concept art, and prototypes of the new enemy cast. Not really polished enough yet for me to be really confident in showing off yet, hoping to get some level design work done soon. (Hopefully I'm done with patches so I can fully focus on it, lol.)

(gif of new knockback VFX)

v2.3 changelog:
  • You can no longer run Snap as a Doom PWAD. (It's a standalone IWAD!!)
  • Updated Directional Influence mechanics. This should hopefully make it clearer how to escape hitlag combos, especially in Versus.
    • Added the following visual effects:
      • Shift DI gives you colored afterimages, to show other players how you're moving.
      • Velocity DI has a ring explosion, which spews dust in the direction of the original knockback. (When using VDI, you'll be sent away from the dust.)
    • Velocity DI's effect was made significantly stronger.
    • Shift DI was totally reworked to be fully automatic, instead of only semi-automatic. This will make Shift DI really easy for pretty much anyone to use effectively, instead of being an incredibly obscure mechanic. The following changes were made:
      • Mash shifting was removed entirely.
      • Automatic shifting was made to be as strong as mashing used to be.
      • You now get automatic shifts every single time hitlag is added to you, instead of only after hitlag.
    • Knockback was made even stronger, to allow DI to be used to escape more scenarios.
  • Replaced the Powerup Copter sprites with a 3D model.
  • Added relative skybox viewpoint objects. These are used in VS1 to make the death plane more seamless.
  • Improved directioning for the various connecting points in E1M4's central room.
  • Improved directioning for the red key door in E1M6.
  • Improved directioning for the bank area in E1M8 Normal.
  • Slight length & directioning changes for E1M9.
  • Optimized event handler usage. Poorer machines may feel a slight performance increase.
  • Player corpses now utilize Hexen's corpse queue; by default, only 64 corpses will be allowed to pile up in multiplayer.
  • Made the invincibility period after using Septacrash far shorter, to make it less cheesy in Versus.
  • Versus Random Weapon roulette starting position gets offset by one each time you use the roulette. Intended to reduce the feeling of "this weapon again?"
  • "Spawn farthest" is now default in Versus.
  • Adjusted default multiplayer connection settings. After some experimentation, these settings play significantly more smoothly with poorer connections.
  • Fixed cacti being solid for a short time after they've already exploded.
  • Fixed player sorting on the multiplayer HUD with more than 2 players.
  • Fixed the 7th bullet's center afterimage being misaligned.
https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-se ... 23-release
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Snap the Sentinel (v2.3) ~ EPISODE 1

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I might have said it before, but this game is so incredibly cool, I cannot believe it was made in seven days for a game jam. :D

I know the Sega Genesis would have never been capable of running it and yet it feels like it was tailor-made for the console!
Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf on Thu May 12, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Will you consider a Steam release? Would be convenient to have it in my library and I'm sure it will help bring in new players pay the way for further development.
TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt »

Yes, I have already been planning to put it on Steam! Dunno when exactly though, keep arguing with myself over that :p
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Just a quick heads up, it looks like a recent version of GzDoom broke compatibility with Snap.

Code: Select all

Script error, "snapgame.ipk3:zscript/snap/base/actor.zs" line 570:
Incompatible operands for != comparison
Script error, "snapgame.ipk3:zscript/snap/base/actor.zs" line 570:
Incompatible operands for != comparison
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Try 4.8.1. If it persists with that, sounds like a bug report for GZDoom might be required.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11

Post by DarkkOne »

That was 4.8.1, actually. If it broke anything else, I might think that, but if a single third-party IWAD breaks, it seems to me like I should report it to the IWAD's author, and then they should decide if it's something to fix in their IWAD, or to upstream to the engine itself.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

That's fair. Still, GZDoom shouldn't break that easily for something like that.

I reckon it might have to do with the FVector changes to the scale property. Could be wrong though.
TehRealSalt

Re: Snap the Sentinel (v2.4) ~ EPISODE 1

Post by TehRealSalt »

Just a quick release since GZDoom v4.8.0 broke Snap really, really badly. As a bonus I backported Episode 2's cool player animator system, so hopefully that makes it worth it :P

(gif of looking into mirrors with the new animators)

v2.4 changelog:
  • Updated GZDoom version to 4.8.2.
  • Fixed intermissions unable to progress since GZDoom v4.8.0. (You can no longer ready up in multiplayer due to under-the-hood changes, unfortunately. A more intricate fix will be made for Episode 2.)
  • Implemented automatic character animations, which shows your aiming, strafing, shooting, crouching, etc. This makes mirrors & multiplayer look much better! See the attached gif.
  • Added a "damage reduced" sound while Super Shell is active.
  • Added the option for thicker automap lines in the menu.
  • Subtitles no longer go off the edges of the screen at 800x600 resolution.
  • Improved the automap view. There is now a dark transparent BG, the player arrow was made more visible, and key fobs are shown. This requires a config reset.
  • Cleaned up automaps for several levels.
  • Improved directioning on the ending lift in E1M2.
  • Fixed being able to stand on the edge of the cutscene pit in E1M1 by using strafe-running.
  • Fixed a bug in E1M4 where a monster closet would not open in multiplayer.
  • Fixed one specific menu sound being very loud.
  • Custom maps now default to using the generic ending if a next level isn't set.
https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-se ... 4-release
TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt »

A Large Snap Episode 2 Preview, since it's been a hot minute.
Spoiler:
https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-se ... -2-preview
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

Wow! One happy news after another! Is it a straight News Day of Announcements, or what?

The Second Episode will be sharpened only for Close Combat? Interesting idea! I remember when I was playing since the release of the First Episode that I rarely used my Leg. Now I'm doubly interested to see what it's like to fight Robots without a Blaster. :)

For me, your game is one of the coolest and most dynamic projects I've ever played! I've been following him for a long time and even devoted a whole post to your project (In Russian: https://doomguy.ru/community/topic/snap ... d-school-4). True, I haven't edited it for a long time, but I write news about your game to attract attention.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

So glad to see work is still being done on this masterpiece. You should really consider a commercial release; a developer of your calibre making games this good should be receiving payment so you can do it full time. I'd buy it at full price in an instant.

EDIT: Oops! Sorry! I already said this before and you did mention a Steam release. So exciting! But this is a bit embarrassing - sorry for repeating myself. At least you can measure my enthusiasm for the idea :D Thanks again
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

gennoveus wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:51 pm So glad to see work is still being done on this masterpiece. You should really consider a commercial release; a developer of your calibre making games this good should be receiving payment so you can do it full time. I'd buy it at full price in an instant.

EDIT: Oops! Sorry! I already said this before and you did mention a Steam release. So exciting! But this is a bit embarrassing - sorry for repeating myself. At least you can measure my enthusiasm for the idea :D Thanks again
Will There Be A Steam Release? If yes, then good! And then I thought that only on "itch.io " it will only be possible to purchase. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”