ARACNOCIDE 2.7 (Updated 03/Sep/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Aracnocide [11/01/20] New trailer page 28!

Post by cosmos10040 »

Great trailer, missed opportunity to include the mug shots with their names. my favorite weapons mod thus far, can't wait to try the new changes.
Lim0n4eG

Post by Lim0n4eG »

A wonderful trailer for a new version of a wonderful mod. But I have a question. Will this new version be as optimized for older versions of Gzdoom as the old one? Personally, I liked this mod, among other things, and this one too
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

adski_drochila wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:55 am A wonderful trailer for a new version of a wonderful mod. But I have a question. Will this new version be as optimized for older versions of Gzdoom as the old one? Personally, I liked this mod, among other things, and this one too
Unfortunately i will be abandoning Zandronum, but it will run as good as it always were in ports like LZDoom.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Happy new year to everyone!

And happy birthday to Aracnocide! My intention was to release the update on this very day because of the 7th anniversary.

I've been working day and night since November 15th to get this update done. I'm quite close, but after so many advices from my fellow server comrades, I've decided to low the gears and do it on a more human pace.

All i can say for now is: you won't regret the long wait!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: ARACNOCIDE 2.0 IS OUT.

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

IT'S OUT!

There's just so much to list i can't put a changelog up. I also need to put a list of special thanks for everybody who helped me from November 15th until today, when i started this whole overhaul. But i do guarantee it is better than before, maybe i finally gave this mod the treatment it deserved all these seven long years. I still haven't worked the new enemies, but i'll get to them one day or another.

have fun.

Special thanks, in no particular order, go to:

RetroMuffin34, ZikShadow, Skelegant, Goaldude-00, LossForWords, YukesVonFaust, Elma-K, Crozi, Marty Kirra, wildweasel, joblez, TheRailgunner, mace, XSlayer300, jdredalert, MoaDixon, Ac!d, Yummers, potetobloke, sonik.o.fan, everyone at the Cosmobyte's Bungalow, and everyone on other Doom servers who took the time to help me. If i forgot someone, please tell me and i'll edit this ASAP.

EDIT: Big shoutout to ctlcdn. He was responsible for the "Mismatched Pistols" file in Realm667, which is a pair of synthfire akimbo pistols entirely made with overlays. After evolving through various stages in the code, i finally managed to adapt the usual reloading code to it, and Aracnocide officialy became my first mod with true synthfire weapons that can reload, something i never managed to get done before.

o7
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DOOMPiter

Oh hey, Aracnocide 2.0!

Post by DOOMPiter »

Hey, I was sort of part of this and gave Cosmo a heads-up about the Explosion Visual Actors being affected by Gravity! :D

If this update doesn't get that much attention, i'm gonna be sad.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

This is a fantastic update to an already great mod!
ChiliPimp
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ChiliPimp »

Aracnocide's gunplay is one of best out there and now it got even better. Amazing work!
I Know Vort-Fu

Post by I Know Vort-Fu »

Why does it feel like the quality of the weapon animations have slightly regressed?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Oh hey, Aracnocide 2.0!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

DOOMPiter wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:13 pm Hey, I was sort of part of this and gave Cosmo a heads-up about the Explosion Visual Actors being affected by Gravity! :D

If this update doesn't get that much attention, i'm gonna be sad.
Bobby wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:36 pm This is a fantastic update to an already great mod!
ChiliPimp wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:17 pm Aracnocide's gunplay is one of best out there and now it got even better. Amazing work!
Thank you!
I Know Vort-Fu wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:40 pm Why does it feel like the quality of the weapon animations have slightly regressed?
You are, in a way, correct. Aracnocide suffered with a mixed bag of polishment. Some guns had 20 frames, some had 30, and there was even a particular case of a gun having 70 frames. With this new update i aimed to have faster reloads, goldeneye-like, and mostly based on offsets (like we see in mods such as ww-nazis, with the difference that wildweasel is good at offsetting sprites and i'm not).

Also, the new hands limited a bit my range of possibilities (Doom hands don't have some angles that Blood hands have, for instance, or even, some of the new hands were hard to replicate from scratch), hence why i used what i had. But i hope that doesn't throw you off, because i wanted to focus more on the gunplay and the visual identity rather than animations.

Also, changing subjects a bit, i've already found a few errors here and there, don't expect a Day-1 patch, but i'll make sure to get rid of some.
Second, in less than 24h AbsoluteN7 already had a video of the new weapons up!

Enjoy!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Apologies for the double post, but i think you'll enjoy this:

While working with the Midjourney AI on our server, i started to create some portraits of what our heroes could look like. After a while, Joblez (author of the cacoward winner mod Naku-Naru -go check it out-) started to work on them and palletized the portraits to give it a vanilla feel, then and i added some backgrounds from HACX. The result went out great! Here's a preview:

Attached to this post is the file if you wish to load them after the game! Also, i have the background-less files if anyone wants to contribute. Is this the first Midjourney add-on to a mod in the forums? I don't know! But it sure opens a ton of possibilities. As always, have fun!
Attachments
ARAlternate Portraits.pk3
(34.02 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
I Know Vort-Fu

Post by I Know Vort-Fu »

With this new update i aimed to have faster reloads, goldeneye-like, and mostly based on offsets (like we see in mods such as ww-nazis, with the difference that wildweasel is good at offsetting sprites and i'm not).
I can definitely see that with something like the Charter Arms Bulldog/Model 34 Terrier and it's upgrades. Maybe consider pulling them just a tad bit lower down?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Excellent job with the update. The new version character portraits look unique and doom palette friendly! It enhances the charm this mod have. This might be one of rare AI art usage examples right there!!

While playing this for a moment, i've found some aspects i would like to talk about:
Spoiler: feedback tiem
It's been absolutely fun squashing big creepy crawlies. I also enjoyed the aspect of upgrading my weapons and felt amazing how massively various the weaponry can get! If i could get the chance, i will talk about upgraded weapons as well.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Consider it done, both of you!

The monsters will get an update in the future, so for now i'm focusing on the weapons!
kabuto

Post by kabuto »

Hey dude great mod. I found a bug. If you play this mod with the Hell from Earth - "Frank Castle simulator" mod the hockey mask is bugged.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”