Watch out for dopes ("work" in "progress")

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Watch out for dopes ("work" in "progress")

Post by KynikossDragonn »

A stupid dance certainly would make sense for the "worlds tiniest violin" weapon if that's still going to be kept as a idea!

Since the hats go flying off when defeated, are they just going to be decorative or items you pickup? It would be amusing to think of those as the "armour bonus" considering those were apparently small helmets that Doomguy wears multiple copies of on his head somehow.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

yes indeed the dropped top hats initially replaced the armor bonuses and still do, presumably the winter hats will do the same unless I make one of the weapons a hat launcher.
I had never heard the phrase "world's tiniest violin" when I made that, I am uncertain if it will be kept around since it is impractical to aim. Although as an area effect confusion weapon it might be more practical.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

I saw in the release thread for GZDoom 4.8.0 the cutscene system from Raze was introduced, and this was when I noticed not only is there a Smacker (a rather dated 256 colour video format) decoder, but libvpx (the VP8 and VP9 WebM codecs) as well.

I suppose this would mean you could have your flash animations as videos to playback during certain parts of the game?
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

That would certainly be more convenient than what I was expecting to have to do at some point, import every movement frame individually and point an in-game camera at a 2-sided linedef showing them in front of any necessary backgrounds. Though I verified that it is possible to "roll" the camera view, which would have been helpful for one brief section. I often end up having to do things in an outmoded hacky stupid way regardless of new features.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

yeepeldfloat.gif
yeepeldfloat.gif (5.82 KiB) Viewed 1266 times

did they change how image attaching and linking works in the past six months? oh nope I just forgot the S in https.
eh whatever the case, yes, I am still at this, when I have time to be at it.
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

Gonna be real here, if you can replace all of the copyright'ed assets with custom ones you could turn this from a TC to a full on game.

this is dope just for a doom TC.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

thank you! although, it is watch out for dopes!
certainly I, personally, THINK of it more as a self-contained work than an add-on, but I can't control what anyone else calls it. The idea is to not use borrowed material, so I can try and unload it on people who don't necessarily play doom without them needing to download and install additional objects. Though that may be a flawed expectation. But I have never finished or been close to finishing anything big so I do not know how I would regard and treat a finished version.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I still have at least two and a half old monsters to redraw, but theoretically there is more of that in the past than future now. Although if it is true that is still the only component of this mess for which that is the case.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Is that a lost soul-like monster? In that it charges through the air, bumps its fat had on you, then lash with its tail?
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

the presently implemented version functions like a basic caco-demon sort at the moment (although in regular levels for whatever reason I had it replacing pain elementals), launching 6 beam-like objects straight ahead from its tentacloids, and striking more rapidly up close, but i expect to have it moving at different speeds and hopefully have a less generic form of offense later. The bloating is for when it takes damage. I do not remember why, but I used the old version as a guide regardless. I suppose it COULD be an attack also, or instead.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I plan to have a non-rotating puddle sprite appear amidst the mess because a rotating one would look bad. or possibly I can have a flat model appear once I look into implementing that.
the tentacloid I am not sure if I need to do that with or not; i considered that since this isn't nearly as wide i might not need to dissolve and replace its blemish. though since six of these would be launched at once, i need to check on if they look too uniform on the ground, even at different angles. i may have them randomly stop on a different frame of the sequence
hopefully isn't too creepy in practice. but I might make this stuff collectible so it isn't around for too long.

I don't know how this will look, but it won't look as bad as the old version,
ImageImage
which didn't look THAT bad. It only had one angle so i didn't launch tentacles from it. It did however launch bits of its filling, which I have not yet determined how best within my power to re-sort out.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

[youtube]https://youtu.be/tpb-I5TpmGI[/youtube]
eh I suppose that only works once per topic-thread. But the link should be pressable you are terribly curious about anything else I did last year.
the introduction to my 2022 retrospective video is made from this project's data, though how much of it I will leave in these is uncertain. Only the I, O, and 2022 have custom, though somewhat incomplete explosions, the rest are recycled yeep parts. I also cheated, having f and l borrow I's explosion, while G shares o's, since all the launched junk was making so much lag on my system while the video capturer was also capturing. And that STILL wasn't enough but at some point it stopped making sense to be spending extra time in 2023 to optimize an inconsequential part of my 2022 summary.
ImageImage
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Really digging the art style in your spritework.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Thank you for digging! I will hopefully be able to put my effort toward more obvious advancement after so many headaches related to bad planning and implementation of the extremely large sprites held that up last year.
Gez

Post by Gez »

bimshwel wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:55 pm
eh I suppose that only works once per topic-thread.
You need to only put the video id in the tag, not any of the base youtube URL.

So many forgotten video game characters. I never expected to see Zool (well, Zooz in this case) again. Or that scene where Cosmo rescues Duke Nukem.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”