[0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [0.9.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by Gourry »

Another vm abort from the lightning side:
https://imgur.com/a/feQRKHX

This is from using the pistol, also using gzdoom 4.10.0
Iwad: Plutonia Experiment

Load order:
Pandemonia-v2.3.pk3
libtooltipmenu-0.2.3.pk3
GunBonsai-0.9.6.pk3
PLUTONIAMETAL.pk3
BDBE_v3.2b_Flashlight.pk3
gearbox-v0.7.2.pk3
target-spy-v2.0.1.pk3

Upgrades on pistol:

Shocking Inscription (6)
Damage (2)
Dark Harvest (29)
Rapid fire (10)
Revivification (6)
Thunderbolt (5)
Searing Inscription (6)
Shield (8)
Burning Terror (5)
Conflagration (3)
Elemental beam (1)
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

Always with the lightning :sigh: and the crash implies that tracer is null, but there's a check just above that to make sure it isn't! What is going on?

Well, that whole function is scheduled for a rewrite to use easier-on-the-performance sprites instead of particle effects, so maybe that'll fix it as a side effect?
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Maybe?
This doesn't happen with chain lightning yet.

Forgot to ask, does blast shaping, shield and tough as nails cap out at 99%? I can't to seem to get it to 100%
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Yeah, pretty much everything with a reduction effect has diminishing returns. They will keep going past 99%, to e.g. 99.9%, 99.99%, but will never reach 100% -- and can never reduce incoming damage (or whatever else they're reducing) below 1 in any case.

Some effects have different target cutoffs that they'll dimish towards, like 40% -- it depends on the upgrade.

What level did you have to get those to to reach 99%, anyways? I kind of assumed no-one would get their upgrade levels high enough for it to be an issue.
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Was at level 7 for blast shaping, it hit 99%, shield maybe about level 19ish for 59% (still not at 60% like said in upgrade section manual), tough as nails about level 44ish.

Sometimes when almost near cap after leveling up for some; it stays the same stats for a few levels until goes up.

Some higher tier monsters on different difficulties and mods still do a bit of high damage greater than one (like maybe 6-12ish), even when very high def levels on skills.

Edit: On certain doom mods like Dusted's Pandemonia; The armor levels on dark harvest don't go past the 200% cap when changing to different armors.
Edit 2: Changing numbers
Edit 3: Wording
Last edited by Gourry on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

The stats will stay visibly the same because they're rounded (typically to 2 or 3 sig figs) so you don't end up with tooltips like "95.0000005% -> 95.3425367%".

Armor levels are tricky because the "max armour" isn't actually recorded in the player anywhere; it's associated with the armour pickup, but once it's picked up the player only remembers (a) how many armour points they have and (b) how much damage is redirected to armour. The MaxSaveAmount is a property of the armour pickup and the player doesn't really have a concept of "max armour". Because of this, Dark Harvest bases it off your max health instead -- so if you're playing a mod that gives you 100% max health and 400% max armour, Dark Harvest will use the former.

Typing this out, I might be able to do it by adding an OnPickup handler to the upgrade and have it remember what the highest armour level you'd picked up thus far is; that would let it scale with your true max armour, and also might be useful for the increased ammo capacity upgrade I've been considering implementing.
ToxicFrog

Re: [0.9.5] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by ToxicFrog »

wildweasel wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:14 am I've only just gotten to playing with this (mere minutes before you updated it hahaha). Congratulations on your Cacoward!

This combines nicely with some of the stuff in my existing load order, including my own ww-doomnukem mod. I do notice, however, that my tendency to animate my weapons at 1-tic intervals means that the Rapid Fire perks do nothing. I suppose there's not really any way to compensate for this (in a clean way), though.
This should be fixed in 0.9.7! I'm not 100% sure the fix is reliable, but it works in vanilla, doom nukem, hellrider, and metadoom, which between them should cover a lot of Weird Weapon Tricks.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

is it possible to have a version with and without the include for tooltips? or some other solution to clashing, i dont know where cutman is but i think ccards still uses it currently.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Yeah, I'd already been considering that and I think 0.9.7 will also have integrated libtooltipmenu. Still need to upgrade my build system to do that for me automatically but it's on the list.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hey Toxic, just wanted to report I seem to be getting some odd errors with the display of some specific tooltips - especially with regards to when Thorns seem to be picked when picking a player perk:

This next error I sort of recieved at random and haven't been able to replicate yet- it did however flood my console with messages and kept going on until I just force-exitted

ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

First one is a quick fix -- when computing the bonuses to display the tooltip, it divides by level, which is 0 when you haven't taken the upgrade yet. The confusing part is that on my machine (which is running the same version of gzdoom) that's not a crash, which is why I didn't catch it in testing. That should be fixed in 0.9.7, and brings with it some improvements to the way tooltips are displayed when taking an upgrade for the first time.

Second one is very confusing and implies that the PerPlayerStats object has somehow gotten disconnected from the player but is still processing events. Please let me know if you ever manage to reproduce it reliably.
ToxicFrog

Gun Bonsai 0.9.7

Post by ToxicFrog »

This is a bugfix release; it should fix division-by-zero issues on the level-up and info screens (on platforms that object to division by zero), issues with Rapid Fire not working in many mods (including Doom Nukem and Naku Naru), and libtooltipmenu conflicts with Corruption Cards.

It also replaces the Thunderbolt VFX, previously using a huge number of particle effects, with a single sprite, which should improve performance and might fix a crash bug.

I am working on some bigger changes to Submunitions, Shield, and Shocking Inscription, but have pushed those back to 0.10.0 to get these fixes out.

Happy new year, everyone!

New:
- Gun Bonsai logs its release version and git commit ID to the console on startup.
Fix:
- Rapid Fire now works properly with Doom Nukem, and probably a lot of other mods where it didn't work right before.
- libtooltipmenu is now integrated. This fixes compatibility with other mods that have improperly copied libttm into their pk3.
- Upgrade tooltips no longer show a diff against a theoretical level 0 upgrade when choosing them for the first time.
- The Thorns tooltip no longer causes a division by 0 crash on some builds of gzDoom.
Change:
- Thunderbolt now uses a sprite effect rather than a huge number of particle effects when it triggers.
stainedofmind

Re: [0.9.7] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by stainedofmind »

On the topic of Submunitions, I've been experimenting with a few changes to the power up on my end, and while I haven't done a really good test yet, I found limiting the life time of the "flak" and NOT scaling it with level, as well as reducing the over all number of "flaks" makes the power up feel a lot better. I've also been fiddling with Shocking Inscription, trying to find a good balance for a chance based stun, but that's proving more difficult to balance without completely rewriting the entire power up.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

stainedofmind wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:28 am On the topic of Submunitions, I've been experimenting with a few changes to the power up on my end, and while I haven't done a really good test yet, I found limiting the life time of the "flak" and NOT scaling it with level, as well as reducing the over all number of "flaks" makes the power up feel a lot better. I've also been fiddling with Shocking Inscription, trying to find a good balance for a chance based stun, but that's proving more difficult to balance without completely rewriting the entire power up.
ya, i agree. upgrading submunitions shouldn't increase the count. just find a nice amount (lets say 5?) and then scale damage and size or something.

option B is to start with 1-3 then have it add 1 per level. then its peoples' own fault for picking it 5+ times
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

Dan_The_Noob wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:14 pm ya, i agree. upgrading submunitions shouldn't increase the count. just find a nice amount (lets say 5?) and then scale damage and size or something.

option B is to start with 1-3 then have it add 1 per level. then its peoples' own fault for picking it 5+ times
I currently have the individual "flaks" spawn with a random lifetime between 1 and 5 seconds, weighted using "randompick(1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5)", and set the count formula to "2 + level". I left everything else alone for now.

Edit:
ToxicFrog wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:46 pm This is a bugfix release; it should fix division-by-zero issues on the level-up and info screens (on platforms that object to division by zero), issues with Rapid Fire not working in many mods (including Doom Nukem and Naku Naru), and libtooltipmenu conflicts with Corruption Cards.

It also replaces the Thunderbolt VFX, previously using a huge number of particle effects, with a single sprite, which should improve performance and might fix a crash bug.

I am working on some bigger changes to Submunitions, Shield, and Shocking Inscription, but have pushed those back to 0.10.0 to get these fixes out.

Happy new year, everyone!

New:
- Gun Bonsai logs its release version and git commit ID to the console on startup.
Fix:
- Rapid Fire now works properly with Doom Nukem, and probably a lot of other mods where it didn't work right before.
- libtooltipmenu is now integrated. This fixes compatibility with other mods that have improperly copied libttm into their pk3.
- Upgrade tooltips no longer show a diff against a theoretical level 0 upgrade when choosing them for the first time.
- The Thorns tooltip no longer causes a division by 0 crash on some builds of gzDoom.
Change:
- Thunderbolt now uses a sprite effect rather than a huge number of particle effects when it triggers.
I should also mention, I tested the new version and am pleased to say that at least with my initial test of Hell Crusher, Rapid Fire seems to be working fine now!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”