OBSIDIAN - Please Check https://obsidian-level-maker.github.io/ For Future Updates

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dasho

Re: OBSIDIAN - A continuation of Oblige/ObAddon [Beta 19]

Post by dasho »

roundtree wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:10 am You are THE GREATEST!! Seriously thank you! =) I just tested it, and it works perfect! I am going to go make 5 or 6 wads, drink a few beers, and test them with brutal hexen right now. Thank you again man, you are awesome!
Nice, glad to hear it works for you too. We're trying to actually get V20 out the door, so I need to run through and test again with all of our supported games just to be sure nothing else is lurking bug-wise.
roundtree
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by roundtree »

I would be happy to help if I can find any more bugs but I have not discovered any more yet. I just made several maps for TNT and plutonia each and did not encounter any bugs at all. I have not tested Doom one or the ultimate Doom yet. But the next ones I want to test are Wolfenstein and spear of destiny.
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

I have been testing Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. Over a month ago, when I first tried it, I had an issue with some walls missing textures which created a repeating-edge effect. But I have not been able to reproduce this issue at all with the latest build of Obsidian. Decided I wanted a REAL frontend for ECWolf, so I figured out how to use it with ZDL. This allows me to use a texture pack and/or Obsidian-created levels with ease. When I first generated some levels using Obsidian, it confused the hell out of me. I tested it by copying the generated files over the original ones, then decided I didn't want to do that. After all, I would still like to be able to play the original levels whenever I want. You just have to use ZDL to load the maps or create a script that loads the levels with the --file command. Personally, I'll use ZDL. Its a lot easier. You guys all probably figured out this stuff before me, but if you don't mind I would post the video link. It also involves creating a dummy-IWAD which is incredibly easy to do.
dasho

Post by dasho »

roundtree wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:50 pm I have been testing Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. Over a month ago, when I first tried it, I had an issue with some walls missing textures which created a repeating-edge effect. But I have not been able to reproduce this issue at all with the latest build of Obsidian. Decided I wanted a REAL frontend for ECWolf, so I figured out how to use it with ZDL. This allows me to use a texture pack and/or Obsidian-created levels with ease. When I first generated some levels using Obsidian, it confused the hell out of me. I tested it by copying the generated files over the original ones, then decided I didn't want to do that. After all, I would still like to be able to play the original levels whenever I want. You just have to use ZDL to load the maps or create a script that loads the levels with the --file command. Personally, I'll use ZDL. Its a lot easier. You guys all probably figured out this stuff before me, but if you don't mind I would post the video link. It also involves creating a dummy-IWAD which is incredibly easy to do.
Any video tips for stuff like that would be welcome; I can post them in the video channel on the Discord too. I have only tested Wolf3D in DOSBox where overwriting/backing up the original GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD files is required unless there's some other method I'm missing. I don't know much about Wolf versus Doom, truth be told. Glad to hear the repeating-edge stuff seems to be resolved for now; you weren't the only one to report that issue.
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

dasho wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:34 pm
roundtree wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:50 pm I have been testing Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. Over a month ago, when I first tried it, I had an issue with some walls missing textures which created a repeating-edge effect. But I have not been able to reproduce this issue at all with the latest build of Obsidian. Decided I wanted a REAL frontend for ECWolf, so I figured out how to use it with ZDL. This allows me to use a texture pack and/or Obsidian-created levels with ease. When I first generated some levels using Obsidian, it confused the hell out of me. I tested it by copying the generated files over the original ones, then decided I didn't want to do that. After all, I would still like to be able to play the original levels whenever I want. You just have to use ZDL to load the maps or create a script that loads the levels with the --file command. Personally, I'll use ZDL. Its a lot easier. You guys all probably figured out this stuff before me, but if you don't mind I would post the video link. It also involves creating a dummy-IWAD which is incredibly easy to do.
Any video tips for stuff like that would be welcome; I can post them in the video channel on the Discord too. I have only tested Wolf3D in DOSBox where overwriting/backing up the original GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD files is required unless there's some other method I'm missing. I don't know much about Wolf versus Doom, truth be told. Glad to hear the repeating-edge stuff seems to be resolved for now; you weren't the only one to report that issue.
Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcAgjJt0K14

I have to warn you I'm a slow and monotone talker pretty much. (Don't feel bad if you have to fast-forward) I do give instructions to run ecwolf through zdl, but I also spend some time playing both games with obsidian maps. I don't think zdl was made to run ecwolf, but then I wonder if it was made to run raze, because it launches BOTH of these source ports really well. And sorry, I should have replied days ago. I've had a lot going on the past week. Btw, happy New Year!
dasho

Post by dasho »

roundtree wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:11 pm
Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcAgjJt0K14

I have to warn you I'm a slow and monotone talker pretty much. (Don't feel bad if you have to fast-forward) I do give instructions to run ecwolf through zdl, but I also spend some time playing both games with obsidian maps. I don't think zdl was made to run ecwolf, but then I wonder if it was made to run raze, because it launches BOTH of these source ports really well. And sorry, I should have replied days ago. I've had a lot going on the past week. Btw, happy New Year!
Happy New Year! Appreciate the video and sorry for the delayed response; we were actually prepping for the official release of V20 which I can announce...well right now I suppose lol.

I've updated the main post with the current version, some updated info, and a link to our new landing page at https://obsidian-level-maker.github.io/

Here is a very condensed changelog of the differences between versions 19 and 20:
Spoiler:
eharper256

Re: OBSIDIAN - A continuation of Oblige/ObAddon [V20 - "Gates of Tartarus"]

Post by eharper256 »

Good to hear. I tried the Hexen Support with Walpurgis and the generation makes some pretty odd texture choices:
It's also hugely over-generous with ultimate weapon pieces all over the shop (I got my ult way before it dropped my slot 3 weapon at all). And the generator probably needs to be clued into the fact that jumping is allowed and normal in Hexen, and items should be considerably rarer since you can carry them around with you.

Right now its random switches in the middle of nowhere at the end of corridors often with needless extra stairs in the way (though Obsidian does this alot in general in my experience; loves its random elevation changes and isolated switches for no reason). It really gives me the impression that it just throws down dots haphazardly and then connects them randomly like a connect the dots exercise right now.

Still, its a start! :)
dasho

Post by dasho »

eharper256 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:22 pm Good to hear. I tried the Hexen Support with Walpurgis and the generation makes some pretty odd texture choices:
It's also hugely over-generous with ultimate weapon pieces all over the shop (I got my ult way before it dropped my slot 3 weapon at all). And the generator probably needs to be clued into the fact that jumping is allowed and normal in Hexen, and items should be considerably rarer since you can carry them around with you.

Right now its random switches in the middle of nowhere at the end of corridors often with needless extra stairs in the way (though Obsidian does this alot in general in my experience; loves its random elevation changes and isolated switches for no reason). It really gives me the impression that it just throws down dots haphazardly and then connects them randomly like a connect the dots exercise right now.

Still, its a start! :)
I've never seen that wall texture before; is this something in vanilla Hexen? If so, probably just needs to be removed from the theme table.

For your other concerns, if the rarity of certain things needs to be adjusted, that should be relatively simple to accomplish. Jumping and crouching can be accounted for already, but there is no Hexen-specific set of prefabs that would take advantage of this. For everything but Doom, there is a "generic prefab" set, which is a minimum viable amount of fabs needed to avoid generation errors. Since every other game that uses prefabs is in Doom format, these prefabs are subsequently more geared towards Doom mechanics (i.e., do not require jumping or crouching, etc).

The switch thing; this is just how the 'quest' system has worked probably dating back to the beginning of Oblige. That's something that needs to be improved across the board.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Its the "valve" texture I think; they normally have a sprite superimposed on top like you use on an airlock in a ship which turns when you press the switch, usually to lower water levels and stuff where its used in Hexen. This is with the AI generated HD texture pack for Hexen so it looks mildly different I guess.

Yeah, it would be good to work on that background quest system; though I'm aware it works on logic of some degree, it feels hugely illogical from a level design standpoint most of the time, and its tough to find random levels that have a good sense of flow and/or narrative, which is important in making that jump between meh and good.
dasho

Post by dasho »

eharper256 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:02 pm Its the "valve" texture I think; they normally have a sprite superimposed on top like you use on an airlock in a ship which turns when you press the switch, usually to lower water levels and stuff where its used in Hexen. This is with the AI generated HD texture pack for Hexen so it looks mildly different I guess.

Yeah, it would be good to work on that background quest system; though I'm aware it works on logic of some degree, it feels hugely illogical from a level design standpoint most of the time, and its tough to find random levels that have a good sense of flow and/or narrative, which is important in making that jump between meh and good.
I've updated the downloads on the project page with a new version that includes some other bugfixes but also tries to address your Hexen concerns. I've reduced the probability in the Pickups table for the ultimate weapon piece; I think a new means of handling them will be needed in the future but hopefully this helps.

About the VALVE texture on the walls: it's pretty odd that they are even there because I couldn't find anywhere in any of the themes that referenced it. I've commented them out of the materials table completely to see if that helps. If that happens again, would you be able to attach the OBSIDATA lump from within the WAD that it appears in?
UnknownMudkip
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by UnknownMudkip »

In the historical versions section, i only see oblige version 2.0. Is that intentional?
dasho

Post by dasho »

UnknownMudkip wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm In the historical versions section, i only see oblige version 2.0. Is that intentional?
Intentional in the sense that it is the only version added so far, yes. I'm currently working on integrating Oblige v5 into the Unstable branch, but for Obsidian V20 that will be the only version present.
UnknownMudkip
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by UnknownMudkip »

ok thanks for the response.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I just tried to generate a Boom-compatible wad for Doom 1 and it crashed for me right in the first map with some error about frame 3 in sprite TLMP missing or something.

I was using latest Woof release, dunno if it's an issue with the port or the generated map.
dasho

Post by dasho »

I'll take a look, usually Doom 1 issues are on us as most new content is made for Doom 2 by default. Sometimes we'll forget to add something to the Doom 1 definitions, or add something that we shouldn't, etc.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”