[0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Re: [0.9.4] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by ToxicFrog »

Holy shit!

I've been completely logged out for two months now dealing with work stuff, haven't even had time to fire up gzDoom and play through some new maps, let alone work on Gun Bonsai at all -- I was looking forward to spending some time over the holidays catching up on bug reports, giving it some more polish, and improving MP compatibility, and feeling kind of guilty I'd left it on the back burner for so long.

And apparently I won a Cacoward when I wasn't looking!?
ToxicFrog

Re: [0.9.5] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by ToxicFrog »

Just promoted 0.9.5 to full release status, adding multiplayer support. I know I haven't squashed all the MP-related bugs but this should hopefully deal with all the desyncs and game-breaking bugs.

And with any luck, I'll have time to do some more work on this over the holidays. :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I've only just gotten to playing with this (mere minutes before you updated it hahaha). Congratulations on your Cacoward!

This combines nicely with some of the stuff in my existing load order, including my own ww-doomnukem mod. I do notice, however, that my tendency to animate my weapons at 1-tic intervals means that the Rapid Fire perks do nothing. I suppose there's not really any way to compensate for this (in a clean way), though.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

There's some stuff in Rapid Fire that's meant to make it work even for 1-tic frames by, effectively, fast-forwarding through multiple states, but it's not well tested and it would not surprise me to find out that it doesn't work at all. Got a link to ww-doomnukem? If it has a bunch of weapons that reliably use 1-tic frames everywhere that would make a great testbed, although I make no promise that I can actually get it working.
openroadracer
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

ToxicFrog wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:29 pmThere's some stuff in Rapid Fire that's meant to make it work even for 1-tic frames by, effectively, fast-forwarding through multiple states, but it's not well tested and it would not surprise me to find out that it doesn't work at all. Got a link to ww-doomnukem? If it has a bunch of weapons that reliably use 1-tic frames everywhere that would make a great testbed, although I make no promise that I can actually get it working.
viewtopic.php?t=36877
ToxicFrog

Release: 0.9.6

Post by ToxicFrog »

This is primarily a bugfix release, but it does contain one asked-for feature: detailed tooltips in the level-up and status menus showing more information about what each upgrade does, and how it will change if you take another level in it. Download it here.

It also makes Swiftness actually do what it says on the tin even at low levels, and nerfs Piercing Shots significantly; they're still good but they're no longer a 2-4x damage increase in addition to piercing.

This requires a new version of libtooltipmenu. Delete your old version and download the one listed on the Gun Bonsai download page.

New:
- Upgrades can now declare tooltips that will display in the status and level-up menus for additional detail.
- Tooltips added for most upgrades, showing specific numbers for their effects and previewing the effects of level-ups.
- As a debugging tool, you can set `bonsai_upgrade_choices_per_player_level` and `bonsai_gun_choices_per_player_level` to -1 to list all upgrades. This will produce upgrade choices that do not work, so it is mostly useful for testing menu display code.
Balance:
- Swiftness now goes into slow-mo for the last 0.5s of its duration rather than the last 3.5s, meaning it does actually stop time even at low levels.
- Piercing Shots now applies a damage penalty. Taking more levels mitigates the penalty
Fix:
- Heretic's wand and staff are now considered "wimpy" weapons.
- Some errors in `UPGRADES.md` about what upgrades were available on what weapons corrected.
- Shield now properly stacks infinitely, albeit with diminishing returns.
- Scavenge Lead spawns now respect actor replacement rules.
- Dark Harvest now respects permanent health upgrades when calculating the cap.
- Burning Terror now gives +1 dps per level, rather than +5 dps every five levels.
Last edited by ToxicFrog on Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [0.9.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

0.9.6 is giving me 11 decorate scripts failing to run or something 🤔 0.9.5 still works as expected though.
Bubbinska
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Bubbinska »

Dan_The_Noob wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:23 am 0.9.6 is giving me 11 decorate scripts failing to run or something 🤔 0.9.5 still works as expected though.
I would say you're probably also running Corruption Cards, right? I found this error and manually removed the #include in CC for the LibTooltipMenu script.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Oh nooo. gzDoom or lzDoom? Which version?

E: also, did you upgrade libtooltipmenu? This requires a more recent version -- which is listed on the download page, but if you already have it you might not have thought to upgrade. I should explicitly note that.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The thing I do notice is that, if you're running any other mod that includes libtooltipmenu, you shouldn't load libtooltipmenu alongside it - for example, Corruption Cards.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Yeah, if a mod just copies libtooltipmenu into itself as-is without renaming classes to avoid conflicts (which I tried to make easy!), loading the libtooltipmenu pk3 means they'll conflict. And if a mod includes an old version of libtooltipmenu and a different mod needs a new version, you have to drop one of the mods. That said, I thought recent versions of Corruption Cards had done the renaming so that this wouldn't come up...
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Oh right, i don't think cutman has updated CCards yet since we found that clash last time. It's alright, I'll just use 0.9.5 til he gets updated.
Brohnesorge
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10

Post by Brohnesorge »

Would it be possible to have the fear effect from Burning Terror respect the NOFEAR flag? Right now it just ignores NOFEAR.
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

Oh, you win cacowards? Congrats. I really wish for this mod to win that since 0.9.2. Really want to tell someone for that but I don't know who I must talk to.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

Brohnesorge wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:26 am Would it be possible to have the fear effect from Burning Terror respect the NOFEAR flag? Right now it just ignores NOFEAR.
That's weird, because according to p_enemy.cpp +NOFEAR should take priority over +FRIGHTENED. It's an easy fix on my end, which will be in the next version, but it doesn't look like it should be necessary.
Netheritor wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:19 am Oh, you win cacowards? Congrats. I really wish for this mod to win that since 0.9.2. Really want to tell someone for that but I don't know who I must talk to.
Thank you! And if there's anything else you think deserves a Cacoward in the future, you talk to the Cacoward Nomination Thread over on the doomworld.com forums -- anything mentioned in that thread is eligible although the ultimate decision about what wins is up to the judging council.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”