Universal Map Enhancements

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BROS_ETT_311

Re: Universal Map Enhancements

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

cosmos10040 wrote:Also on using this with Doom rpg rebalance, there is an exclamation mark right in front of the mission area at the UAC outpost. Also at the area with the glass display , there are a bunch of dead marines and seems like destroyed cars. Weird. Just wanted to point that out.
Was just getting ready to release an update, what timing lol! Looks like Doom RPG Rebalance uses some of the same map numbers for actors as the decoration actors in the enhancement packs, though this shouldn't be too much of an issue to fix on my end. Thanks for pointing this out!
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

Actually, I was wondering;
What this mod do with other map that's not from original wad or Hell on Earth starter pack?

When BD21 comes out, I was wondering if map enhancement works with other maps, cause the additional trees, cars, barrels are nice. It's not.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Netheritor wrote:Actually, I was wondering;
What this mod do with other map that's not from original wad or Hell on Earth starter pack?

When BD21 comes out, I was wondering if map enhancement works with other maps, cause the additional trees, cars, barrels are nice. It's not.
I explained your question in a previous response: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=75203&sid=58f24a908bf6e887c2b65296da0f4227#p1221407

Whatever maps are enhanced with BD are also applied here. The only thing that changed is how the script registers a map to enhance, so that the enhancements can work with other gameplay mods universally. To be clear though, that doesn't mean the script will randomly apply the enhanced decorations to whatever map you load up. At best (and like I already mentioned in the other post), you'll have fancier decorations typically found in other WADS (columns, techlamps, torches, liquid, etc.). Thanks for checking this out, much appreciated! B-)
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Update #4! Get your update #4 hereeee!
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

I forgot to mention on update 3, it overwrites textures too no matter the load order. I hope update 4 fixed that. Edit: looks like it fixes most issues with doom rpg outpost ( one area is that theres supposed to be a marine he is not a shooting target, not sure about that), and the lava ltp pack issues are fixed too good job. As I noted above, custom texture packs are over written.with this addon on. Not sure why.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

cosmos10040 wrote:I forgot to mention on update 3, it overwrites textures too no matter the load order -- As I noted above, custom texture packs are over written.with this addon on. Not sure why.
That's due to the dynamic level enhancement script, it swaps out textures for certain maps (E2M6 is a good example of this). Works the same as in bdv21, so I'm not really looking to alter this particular aspect.
cosmos10040 wrote:looks like it fixes most issues with doom rpg outpost ( one area is that theres supposed to be a marine he is not a shooting target, not sure about that).
Hmm, I'll see if I can pinpoint where this is at. You able to describe specifically where in the map, or post a screenshot if possible?
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

BROS_ETT_311 wrote:
cosmos10040 wrote:I forgot to mention on update 3, it overwrites textures too no matter the load order -- As I noted above, custom texture packs are over written.with this addon on. Not sure why.
That's due to the dynamic level enhancement script, it swaps out textures for certain maps (E2M6 is a good example of this). Works the same as in bdv21, so I'm not really looking to alter this particular aspect.
cosmos10040 wrote:looks like it fixes most issues with doom rpg outpost ( one area is that theres supposed to be a marine he is not a shooting target, not sure about that).
Hmm, I'll see if I can pinpoint where this is at. You able to describe specifically where in the map, or post a screenshot if possible?
Can a toggle or cvar be added? If that's not too much to add. It only a problem when I load dhtp or high res textures, certain pillars, ceilings, floors or walls just look low res while the rest looks high. I think it works great on props and everything else.

As for drpg outpost. It's right at the area there there is a glass display that you previously fixed. I remember being marine behind the counter. Now it's just a target lol. Anyways great work
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Sorry, but I genuinely don't see what you're referring to. Is this the spot you're talking about?

cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

Yes but there's just one shooting target. Updatd: Okay so I looked at it again. Seems it randomly picks a marine to be a shooting target. Weird
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21

Post by kalensar »

cosmos10040 wrote:
BROS_ETT_311 wrote:
Can a toggle or cvar be added? If that's not too much to add. It only a problem when I load dhtp or high res textures, certain pillars, ceilings, floors or walls just look low res while the rest looks high. I think it works great on props and everything else.

As for drpg outpost. It's right at the area there there is a glass display that you previously fixed. I remember being marine behind the counter. Now it's just a target lol. Anyways great work
I think theres a bit of confusion about what this mod does and also what BD21 does when it comes to decorations. Basically BD21 replaces very few actual textures but replaces quite a few decorations. Basically the Gist is that everything you encounter here in UME while mixing a Texture mod will also happen in BD21 proper. The Reason for this is because certain Props like the Ceiling lights in E1m1 are attached to specific textures, aka this is a GZD indexing issue and not much to actually do with Mixing Mods in the right or wrong order.

This Screenshot is EOATexFix.wad with UME here. EAOTexFix is loaded after UME.
E1m1 cherry.png
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

kalensar wrote:""
Ehhh...I mean, you're not wrong about the indexing thing, but that's not what's actually happening here. The dynamic level enhancement script from bdv21 changes textures by swapping out the vanilla ones with differently named textures. Here's an example for E1M1:

Code: Select all

//DOOM E1M1 - Hangar
Script "MapEnhancementE1M1" (VOID)
{
ChangeSky ("SKYPHO", "SKYPHO");
ReplaceTextures("FLOOR7_1", "MFLR8_2");
ReplaceTextures("BROWN144", "CLIFF05B");
ReplaceTextures("BROWN144", "CLIFF05B");
//ReplaceTextures("TLITE6_5", "LITGEN7B");
//ReplaceTextures("TLITE6_6", "LITGEN9B");
ReplaceTextures("FLOOR4_1", "METAL51");
ReplaceTextures("FLOOR4_5", "METAL51");
ReplaceTextures("BROWN1", "METAL24",  NOT_BOTTOM);
ReplaceTextures("BROWN1", "LIT05S");
ReplaceTextures("BROWN96", "METAL22");
ReplaceTextures("LITE2", "METAL24B");
ReplaceTextures("STONE2", "BUNKER05");
ReplaceTextures("CEIL3_1", "METAL51");
ReplaceTextures("CEIL3_2", "METAL51");
delay(1);
}
Textures packs work based on the original texture names, hence why packs like DHTP simply won't work in this scenario. In the case of LTP, I actually had to do some trickery on my part to make it compatible without having to go the route of creating patches or altering the level enhancement script, but that's only due to LTP having it's own set of cvars that I was able to reference through scripting.

So I think what you're referring to in the screenshot is the lack of the destructible red lights on the ceiling, and the answer for that is simple...they were removed in the bdv21 gold release lol. Try running the beta pack with the texture mod you're using.
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

cosmos10040 wrote:Also on using this with Doom rpg rebalance, there is an exclamation mark right in front of the mission area at the UAC outpost. Also at the area with the glass display , there are a bunch of dead marines and seems like destroyed cars. Weird. Just wanted to point that out.
I have had strange issues with brutal Doom and doom rpg rebalance changing some of the decorations completely. Possibly some incompatibilities. But these universal map enhancements go really well with the barrels o fun mod. I think you have to load this mod first. Some of the barrels make a ton of smoke. The purple one will blast so much smoke at you it's like temporary blindness.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Update #5...some minor quality of life improvements. Check OP :)
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

Sorry for sudden off-topic, but seems that this "Brutal Doom V21" focused campaign is using some of its internal enhancments on its maps.

Without BDV21 there is plenty of missing textures and "errors".
With "UniversalMapEnhancements_V21Beta_RC6.pk3" there is still missing textures and unknown actors.
With "UniversalMapEnhancements_V21Gold_RC6.pk3" seems that all textures are there, but there is still many unknown actors:

Can you, please, fix it somehow?(
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

RastaManGames wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:20 pm
Hey no worries! I just checked out the map from the link you shared, though I'm not positive it's the same one based on the screenshot you posted since the WAD won't even boot without loading BDv21.

Anyway, looks like the Mapinfo lump included in the WAD makes use of internal weapon actors from BD, so I think this issue might go beyond the scope of the UME system. I guess I could try and include a patch that would allow the mapset to load up, however, my concern is this could potentially cause unintended glitches down the line...then again, maybe not since it's only related to weapons. I'll try and do some tests, but can't guarantee any worthwhile results.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”