RELEASE: Wolfenstein 3D TC Version 3.1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StarController

Re: Wolfenstein 3D TC (Version 3.0) Beta 3 Release!

Post by StarController »

I'm really glad to see development continuing on this!
Are there different versions of the SOD mission packs? I copied from files from our old SOD CDROM, and they didn't match the map data I later pulled from the GOG Spear release. Maybe the CDROM just had demos?
AFADoomer

Re: Wolfenstein 3D TC (Version 3.0) Beta 3 Release!

Post by AFADoomer »

StarController wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:16 am I'm really glad to see development continuing on this!
Are there different versions of the SOD mission packs? I copied from files from our old SOD CDROM, and they didn't match the map data I later pulled from the GOG Spear release. Maybe the CDROM just had demos?
I don't know of different versions of the mission packs - though it's possible to play the mission pack maps with the original SoD assets if you do some file renaming, so maybe some files got mixed up?

The only changes that I know of are that the original release of the The Ultimate Challenge had different textures in the final map... The version that was later made available, and is now on the GOG site, was apparently derived from a version that FormGen sent to id Software to demo the product, and has Doom-based textures in the final map. The layout of the map itself didn't change, though.
AFADoomer

Re: Wolfenstein 3D TC (Version 3.0) Beta 4 Release!

Post by AFADoomer »

I have released a fourth (and hopefully final) beta for version 3.0 of the TC.

Changes from the last beta:
- Custom shader and alpha mapping to allow gray shadows on original sprites to show as translucent in maps with floor textures
- Added custom enemy movement and firing functions to better emulate Wolf3D enemies
- Allow player to control behavior of 'Esc' key in menu - prompt to exit game (Wolf3D style) or return to map (Doom style)
- Replaced flamethrower and rocket launcher sprites with their SNES versions
- Added Moldy Cheese and Backpack from SNES version
- Allow the player to restore Doom-style weapon bobbing
- Allow player to use a standard screen fade instead of the "fizzle" fade style that can be process intensive
- Fixed some incorrect health amounts on some enemies
- Software renderer compatibility fixes
- Doors now behave the same as in Wolf3D - can be manually closed/reopened only after they fully open the first time
- Multiple fixes to mouse interaction in menus
- Fixes/tweaks to menu appearances
- Added map icon sprite for pushwalls that shows while cheating (with map icons enabled)
- And more! See the change log here.

Get the beta here!

A quick sample of the new alpha masking/shadow shader at work:
Before (or in software renderer):

After:
CacoTwoShoes

Post by CacoTwoShoes »

Nothing planned for NashGore, no. I have been toying with the idea of allowing optional fireball explosions, bullet puffs, syringe explosions, etc., but need to source the sprites.
This might work as a source for the blood puffs et al.: https://www.moddb.com/mods/wolfenstein-3dge

Currently the enemies leave blood stains on the walls, if they left the same on the ground that I guess would be just enough "gore" to boost the atmosphere while not straying too far away from the source material.

Some other feature ideas off the top of my head:

- basic floor / ceiling texturing, the flat colors is something that doesn't scare me but doesn’t sit well with the newcomers either (may even induce motion sickness)

- optional footstep sounds for the enemies because goddamn mutants, not being able to hear nearby enemy movement feels a bit unfair especially when you are playing on the highest difficulty

- optional "body hits the ground" sounds, cosmetic upgrade has that and it's a huge atmosphere boost

P.S. There used to be a HD pack for the earlier TC incarnations, is it still maintained by somebody? Quite a bit of progress has been done in the HQ sprite thread but then it died down.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

I've reached out to the 30th Anniversary mod author on Mod DB to ask if I can use some of his sprites. Code is in to allow burning death states and flame/syringe puffs when the player has blood and puffs turned on, but I need sprites. If he refuses, I know DoomJedi has some burning sprites that he released for use a while back, so I may insert those, and just adapt/draw the others.
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

AFADoomer wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:02 pm I've reached out to the 30th Anniversary mod author on Mod DB to ask if I can use some of his sprites. Code is in to allow burning death states and flame/syringe puffs when the player has blood and puffs turned on, but I need sprites. If he refuses, I know DoomJedi has some burning sprites that he released for use a while back, so I may insert those, and just adapt/draw the others.
good luck, I've tried to talk him into allowing me to use the same sprites but I got told no and if I or anyone would to try to rip them the color palette messed up in a try to "encrypt" them.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Yeah, we'll see what happens. I ripped the palette from the .exe already via hex editor, so extracting the sprites isn't a problem for me - just don't want to use them without permission.
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

AFADoomer wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:21 pm Yeah, we'll see what happens. I ripped the palette from the .exe already via hex editor, so extracting the sprites isn't a problem for me - just don't want to use them without permission.
sent you something to you on discord, I noticed the sprites for the flamethrower and rocket launcher use the Highdef Mac sprites. if you like I can rework the SNES sprites to match the wolf3d palette more.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Thanks for the offer... Messaged in return.
CacoTwoShoes

Post by CacoTwoShoes »

How accurate is the latest build considering the distance / sneak / evasion damage calculation? Aka extra damage if attacker is out of sight and less damage if hit while running, etc.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

The enemy actors use a custom firing function that is a close translation of the original game logic. The latest Git version also adds custom movement functions that also fix their aggressiveness and movement patterns.

Player shots are a close approximation... They are default hitscans, but the damage modifiers are based off of the original Wolf logic, so they do simular damage over time when fired from the same distance.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

OK, I lied. I made some significant changes, so am releasing one more beta. I'm hoping to do an official version 3.0 release before the new year.

Changes since the last beta:
- Added custom movement direction selection functions for enemies, emulating Wolf3D source
- Added optional floor and ceiling textures; none, minimalist, or WolfenDoom style
- Added generalized flame/fire death effect, syringe 'explosions' and fireball explosions
- Added optional minimalist dynamic lights in place of sprite light casts and on rockets/flames
- Added filter/doom colormap lump to allow playing as a PWAD with Doom IWAD in software mode
- Added separate handling for SoD High Score CVars
- Standardized weapon offsets across renderers
- Added SNES Jeweled Scepter pickup
- Added sample directional "wall" actors
- Added Registered Wolf3D version of the 'Read This' screen
- Fullscreen hud icon shadows are now translucent
- New pickup items now have unique SNDINFO entries
- Restored fade-to-red on death behind fizzle effect
- Delay enemy activation until after Get Psyched screen or fizzle fade is complete
- Multiple menu tweaks, including gray-framed menu section labels and custom player backdrop

Normal (with minimalist textured ceilings and floors):

And with dynamic lights:
Last edited by AFADoomer on Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubyEyeShabranigdu
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Wolfenstein 3D TC (Version 3.0) Final Beta Release!

Post by RubyEyeShabranigdu »

Awesome!!! Btw, no "Wolf3D_TC_3.0b5.zip" download link?
EddCase
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by EddCase »

RubyEyeShabranigdu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:16 pm Awesome!!! Btw, no "Wolf3D_TC_3.0b5.zip" download link?
Direct Link is here https://github.com/AFADoomer/Wolf3D-TC- ... beta-5.zip

I use this batch script, to grab the latest version from the Github master files.

Code: Select all

@echo off
set DLLink=https://github.com/AFADoomer/Wolf3D-TC-3.0/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
set OutName=Wolf3D
color 1F
cls
Echo Downloading %OUTNAME% Master
echo.
echo Please Wait...
powershell -Command "$ProgressPreference = 'SilentlyContinue'; Invoke-WebRequest %DLLINK% -OutFile %OutName%.zip
rename %OUTNAME%.zip %OUTNAME%.ipk3
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

RubyEyeShabranigdu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:16 pm Awesome!!! Btw, no "Wolf3D_TC_3.0b5.zip" download link?
Oops. Thanks! Added the link above and fixed the link in the first post.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”