Universal Hitscanner - Oops! All Hitscan!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jarewill

Universal Hitscanner - Oops! All Hitscan!

Post by Jarewill »

Please excuse the horrible video.
Hello ZDoom forums!
Today I wish to present you this cursed abomination amazing mod!

As we all know, hitscanners are a big part of Doom and they are universally loved by all.
However I always felt that there's something wrong with them.... There's simply too little of them!
But for some reason, there's mods that remove hitscanners all together!
So I decided to do the opposite of that. ;)

Jokes aside, this mod aims to universally replace all projectiles with hitscan attacks.
This doesn't really make the game harder or easier because hitscans can damage monsters of the same species, have the same inaccuracy as vanilla Doom's hitscanners and multiply their damage by a random of 1 to 3 instead of 1 to 8.
Well, unless said hitscan ends up being an adapted rocket, because it still triggers splash damage!
Also included is an options menu where you can freely tweak monster accuracy and damage randomization.

Without any further ado, here's the download:
[DOWNLOAD]
Last edited by Jarewill on Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jarewill

Re: [0.9] Universal Hitscanner - Oops! All Hitscan!

Post by Jarewill »

Just as I uploaded it I realised there's a small issue with explosive weapons.
Since the target wasn't being passed to the hitscan "puff", things like making explosions not hurt the shooter didn't work.
That has now been fixed, however I found another issue of the BFG tracers not firing correctly.
Jarewill

Re: [0.95] Universal Hitscanner - Oops! All Hitscan!

Post by Jarewill »

Finally figured out how to deal with projectiles using DamageFunction, so now it should all work fine.
Still trying to figure out why certain functions don't trigger in projectile death states however.

Also added an options menu in case you thought this mod made the game easier. ;)
Jarewill

Re: Universal Hitscanner - Oops! All Hitscan!

Post by Jarewill »

Turns out the issue regarding some functions was just an oversight on my part, whoops.
Well it took me a full week to realise it, but it's now working as intended.

1.0 is now out!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”