NAKU-NARU - バンザイ! (V1.3 OUT NOW!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Do you Prefer The Type 99 Nambu or the Type 89 Howa?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Type 89
52%
Type 99
48%

Total votes: 21

r&r

Re: NAKU-NARU - バンザイ! (V1.3 BETA IS AVAILABLE!)

Post by r&r »

rhyrhygogo wrote:Any recommended wads for Naku Naru?
I would say SEPPUKU but that map isn't out yet,
it's still a work in progress.

and the Shadow Warrior Total Conversion map set isn't compatible
And I can't find any Asians theme maps for doom that works with this mod
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Not visually related to japanese structure, but you also have Japanese Community Project and Hatomo Battles The Yomi Demons.
Rodman909

Post by Rodman909 »

rhyrhygogo wrote:Any recommended wads for Naku Naru?
The Japanese Community Project, of course!
Joblez_I
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Joblez_I »

update: man, i feel bad! i kinda left naku-naru to the wayside for a while. been working on updating it, slowly but surely. Current features planned/already done for 1.3:

-decided not to remove either LMG; i like the idea of options!

-new hud, so far developed to have a distinct fullscreen hud and normal hud. still need to make more modular, it fits to the borders of the screen unlike the 1.2 hud.

-possible new classes; mostly to have different starting weapons (though the menu option for changing LMGs will stay the same). potential candidates: hamada type 2, type 26, miroku police special, suguira pistol

-more "anime" style visuals/sounds (more cartoony looking explosions, new sounds, etc)

-fixed bug with weapons reloading, even after you have no ammo left.

-fixed bug with increased height where weapons shoot underneath the crosshair. thanks to phyne for pointing it out and giving a solution!

-writing(probably already written by the time most will read this) a new menu theme myself! after dead men tell no tales, i think making all the music for my mods seems like a good idea.

any other ideas i have i might save for a sequel. I've thought of a naku-naru 2 for over year now, and i still do have plans to bring it into fruition. thank you for all of your suggestions!
Joblez_I
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: NAKU-NARU - バンザイ! (V1.3 OUT NOW!)

Post by Joblez_I »

Naku-Naru 1.3 is out! Go play it!
eLeR

Post by eLeR »

This was my first game with this mod. He is brilliant. Great looking weapons and they are great for fighting demons. Gratulations.

eLeR

Post by eLeR »

Shotgun in this mod is probably the best I've ever played with!

Awesreek
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Awesreek »

I think the download link might be broken, I've been trying to download 1.3 but have been unable to.
The other versions I can get just fine, but 1.3 consistently fails to download.
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

I'm trying this out now and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The weapons feel and sound great. If I had some feedback, I'd say the different melee attacks could use some range values, because things are a bit claustrophobic as it is.

I set the shotgun butt attack as the lowest at 72, the bayonet at 85, and the staff attacks at 90. Your numbers might end up different if you do this, but it feels pretty great like this. Edit: Actually, the charging bayonet at 90 like the staff. I also noticed the standard bayonet attack alerts enemies unlike the other melee attacks in the mod. I'd guess because the charge makes you yell, but you could give it WEAPON.NOALERT and put A_AlertMonsters right after the yell.

Some other bugs and nitpicks.
The shotgun firing sound has some brass hitting the floor at the end of it. And I noticed a lot of the firing sounds get cut off when you reload or switch, since a lot of these sounds use the same channel. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine because I like it when the shots still ring out. I changed them to use 0, but left the looping sounds alone and put the end shot sounds on 0, too. Oh, and the pickup for the Howa refers to it as the Nambu.

I don't know if it's supposed to be there or not but it looks like there's an extra pixel on the hand sprite when wielding the staff, on the left on his ring finger.

The option to disable particles when firing weapons doesn't seem to work. Seems like it's tied to muzzle smoke instead.

The left and right projectile sprites for the skull are reversed so if you freeze time and view it from the side, it looks like it's flying backwards even though the front and back sprites are right.
Last edited by Irrevenant on Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Feels good to return to this neat mod! And hey, i recently noticed that automatic weapons like PM-9, Type 89 Howa and Type 99 LMG do not have muzzle flash when firing just once. Not sure if this was intended because they meant to be fired, well, automatically.

And the firing skull that replaces BFG has this long idle sound. It's extremely long to the point it freezes the game a bit.

Besides those issues, animations plus sound design are always satisfying. Good job on that!
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

I adjusted the range of some things again. Staff attacks are at 100 and the shotgun melee is 75 for just a bit more comfort, and the charged bayonet is at 95 as the difference of 5 wasn't really enough to matter. It would also be nice to be able to cancel out of aiming with reloading or using melee, in the case of the bolt-action.

Also just want to say that I love the shotgun. The random flipcock chance is so cool.
Felix_Margarita
Operating System Version (Optional): Steamos 3.4.11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Felix_Margarita »

The weapon feedback is so good - if an auto-reload option was available, this mod would quickly become one of my top three favs.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Felix_Margarita wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:15 pm The weapon feedback is so good - if an auto-reload option was available, this mod would quickly become one of my top three favs.
I agree! An auto-reload option would be nice.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I don't know if this is something I just have to deal with, but anytime I pull out the Yorick the first time for a level, the game will stutter a bit. After that, it'll work fine, but the stutter will return in the next level if I pull it out again.
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 am I don't know if this is something I just have to deal with, but anytime I pull out the Yorick the first time for a level, the game will stutter a bit. After that, it'll work fine, but the stutter will return in the next level if I pull it out again.
It's the looping idle sound that plays when you have it out. UNMKLPS.ogg. It's somewhere over two minutes long and needs to load first.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”