Recommendations for Mods with good Railguns

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
TheOldKingCole

Recommendations for Mods with good Railguns

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Railguns might be my favorite fps weapon and since googling doom railgun mods mostly just gives you pages of tutorials on how to do railguns I'd thought I'd ask here for recommendations for good Doom 1 and 2 weapon mods with railguns (Also please don't suggestion brutal doom variants, I already know about most of those)
Reactor

Re: Recommendations for Mods with good Railguns

Post by Reactor »

Not sure, but I think Hunter's Moon has a nicely done Railgun. You should check it out.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

If you like the Quake III railgun then yes, it kinda does. There's actually not many that spring to mind though if he's after railguns specifically (DoomRL Arsenal, if you can find it) and not just any heavy piercing weapons (DRLA's AMR and Gauss Rifle, or Guncaster's Augur).
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Reactor wrote:Not sure, but I think Hunter's Moon has a nicely done Railgun. You should check it out.
Thanks for the recommendation
Coornib22

Post by Coornib22 »

(Hope I'm allowed to post this). Brutal Doom Platinum has a recently-added railgun. It's quite nice, with high quality animations, and actually feels like it's firing a supersped-up projectile into a Hellspawn's face.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

Personally, I like Trailblazer's "Pain Train" railgun. It's just that you'll have to find a blueprint for it, which only spawns on Plasma Gun spots(where you'll find a Skullthrottle Minigun), and it's not guaranteed.
yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by yum13241 »

(shameless plug) I like the railgun from the Monstrous Weapons Mod. Check it out, it's cool :)

In all seriousness, Trailblazer's railgun is only accessible if you have crafting on.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

If you're still interested and as this zombie thread is cooking with shameless self plugs; I redesigned the concept of the unmaker from doom64 in my mod Major Crisis so that it starts as a penetrating laser (tecnically still a railgun type attack) much akin to the quake lightninggun in general effectiveness and then, if you find and use the heart 'artifact' pickup (with an unmaker already in your possession) it will power up the unmaker into a railgun. making it look a bit like a ballista in the process.
however, using the heart without already having an unmaker makes it overtly kinda useless, hinting tot he player that they need to find domething to put the heart into, likewise attempting to use alternate fire on the unmaker without the heart being activated suggets that you are missing something...

so yeah, just an excuse to fit a railgun in doom and make it feels like it belongs there... LOL ;)

I used shadowwarriors corkscrew sprites (recoloured red) as well some added effects from hither and yon to make it feel special rather than particles cos sprites are my jam...

Return to “General”