Simple Heretic RPG mod [v2.2 Released]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
peewee_RotA

Re: Simple Heretic RPG mod [v2.1 Released]

Post by peewee_RotA »

Version 2.1 released as pk3

https://github.com/cabbruzzese/hrpg/releases/tag/v2.1

See original post.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Added key sections in the configuration. Will include in the next version.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Working on some updates. After doing a heathen play-through I realized there were a lot of minor gameplay glitches that made it difficult. With some updates it works much better. I plan on having a new version out next week.
DarkCheap

Post by DarkCheap »

Would it be possible to get the monster tweaks as a standalone version? There arent many heretic monster mods out there,or it is just a matter of running another weapon mod on top of it? If i come off as demanding i can just delete the comment

What kind of blasphemer bugs are we talking about here by the way?
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

It would take a lot of rework to make the monster changes standalone, but it would actually be pretty easy by the end of it. HRPG replaces all the monsters to get those effects. In XRPG it uses an item that can be given to any monster, so it becomes way more versatile and workable as a standalone mod.

They scale up health A LOT. Heretic in general is a very low damage game. To work with other weapons mods, that health portion would need to be adjusted as well. That would be the hard part.

The blasphemer changes were minor. I guess they affect all classes...

Mace powered attack change, boost xp for small attacks without affecting lightning XP gain, and health regen for super low health

I stopped before doing a lightning rewrite because it's already pretty powerful. But the xp gain boost gives it to you at a more meaningful point in the episode.
DarkCheap

Post by DarkCheap »

peewee_RotA wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:10 am It would take a lot of rework to make the monster changes standalone, but it would actually be pretty easy by the end of it. HRPG replaces all the monsters to get those effects. In XRPG it uses an item that can be given to any monster, so it becomes way more versatile and workable as a standalone mod.

They scale up health A LOT. Heretic in general is a very low damage game. To work with other weapons mods, that health portion would need to be adjusted as well. That would be the hard part.
Understandable,thank you for the response
peewee_RotA wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:10 am The blasphemer changes were minor. I guess they affect all classes...

Mace powered attack change, boost xp for small attacks without affecting lightning XP gain, and health regen for super low health

I stopped before doing a lightning rewrite because it's already pretty powerful. But the xp gain boost gives it to you at a more meaningful point in the episode.
I have only tried a run with the melee class so far,will try the wizard next to see how "Strong" it is compared to the others,i am really liking the mod so far,its light and offers nice enemies to twist things around,only issue would be they infinitely respawn but i guess thats a feature to always keep the player on their toes and never laze off
peewee_RotA

Re: Simple Heretic RPG mod [v2.2 Released]

Post by peewee_RotA »

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I had to delay getting the v2.2 pk3 together but got a chance to do that tonight. This has enhancements for the Heathen mostly, especially in the melee attack code.

https://github.com/cabbruzzese/hrpg/releases/tag/v2.2
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I decided to give this a try recently, it was pretty fun but at the same time easy. Then I tried it again with corruption cards, and this mod actually works best with that.

My runs were with the Heretic, and the only complaint/problem I ran into is the blood essences giving a temporary tome of power. This should be replaced with a ROF buff instead; the tome effect actually makes most of my weapons worse in performance a lot of the time as well as consuming too much ammo.
peewee_RotA

Post by peewee_RotA »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to try it with those cards.

The heretic class is the easiest on purpose, since the game challenges are designed for his weapons. His highest damage bonus goes to crossbow, dragon bracer, and mace orbs. The weirdest tome change (and this gets me in the original as well) is the phoenix rod. That's why the alt fire is just as powerful. I made the shotgun effect the alt on the dragon bracer as well so there's a reasonable option. The downside for playing the heretic is he doesn't have a replenishing ammo supply like the other classes. So playing too long with the wandering monsters can really drain your ammo.

The blasphemer gets the highest bonus to any magic staves. (crystal staff, horn rod, phoenix staff). The horn rod gets annoying when it has a tome too, but the alt should suffice too.

Anyway, the heretic class eventually gets ring of flying as a bonus if he levels high enough. It's timed to be later in the levels so you don't get it early enough to skip most challenges. The expansion levels still have late game spots this can skip, but for the original set it should be timed right.

I think a good option might be to give a different effect. The heathen already has the berserk effect but there might be another useful item from the series. Maybe one of the alternative icon of the defender effects from Hexen could work.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Awesome to see this still receiving the occasional update! Thanks for your work!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”