[DeusDoom: Weapons] adding Deus Ex weapons to Doom

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cyber_cool
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[DeusDoom: Weapons] adding Deus Ex weapons to Doom

Post by cyber_cool »

DeusDoom: Weapons is a mod that adds weapons from Deus Ex game into Doom.

Main features:
  • 24 new weapons!
  • 5 skills that affect the effectiveness of using certain class of weapons
  • Weapon modifications, which upgrade weapon's accuracy, clip size, reload time, recoil
  • Tetris-like inventory system
  • Aiming and spread mechanics
How it works:
  • You can now see the current spread of your weapon as a reticle on HUD.
  • Weapon's base spread is affected by skill level, installed accuracy and laser mods, and player's velocity.
  • Aiming at one target decreases the spread over time. Switching aim to another target partially resets the progress, stopping aiming at anything gradually increases the spread back to where it was.
  • Weapons that use ammo have a clip that can be reloaded by pressing +reload. You can also unload a weapon by pressing +user1 (can be binded in DeusDoom: Weapons controls menu, T by default).
  • Some weapons can use multiple ammo types. You can change the ammo type in inventory menu (I by default) or by pressing "Change ammo type of the current weapon" bind (can be binded in DeusDoom: Weapons controls menu, X by default).
  • You have a limited inventory that is a 5x6 grid. Weapons and other items (ex. augmentation cannisters from DeusDoom: Augmentations) take up inventory space, some more than others (heavy weapons tend to take up a lot of space).
    You can drag items around your inventory, drop them or assign keybinds (currently works only for weapons) by selecting the weapon and pressing a key for weapon selection (I assume you have it binded to 0-9).
  • You can level up your weapon skills in Skills menu (K by default). You have 4050 points to spend when you start a new game. Killing enemies, progressing through levels and finding secrets rewards you more skill points.
    Upgrading a weapon skill increases your accuracy with these weapons, reduces recoil, makes reloading faster, makes drawing and holstering weapons faster, increases the damage. Heavy weapons also slow you down, depending on how low your heavy weapons skill is; at Advanced and Master they don't slow you down.
  • You can attach a weapon mod by dragging it over a weapon in the inventory screen. Compatible weapons will be highlighted in green.
  • You can attach grenades to walls by walking close to a wall and looking at it. You see a specific animation play out, and you can press +attack to attach it to the wall.
    Grenade attached to a wall turns into a proximity mine, taking about 1,5 seconds to detonate if it detects an enemy.
  • When using a scope (on sniper rifle or any weapon with an attached scope mod), your shots have 100% accuracy (so they go exactly the crosshair is), but your aim is affected by scope sway. Scope sway is affected by weapon's accuracy, and at certain level of accuracy it stays perfectly still.
Other important notes:
  • Laser mod, unlike accuracy mod, reduces the spread in half, instead subtracting a fixed number.
  • Clip mod increases the clip of most weapons by more than just 1. Even on pistols and shotguns it adds 2 rounds to the clip.
  • Dragon's tooth sword deals damage in a 100 degrees wide arc in front of the player, and can also destroy projectiles.
  • Weapons that stun enemies (riot prod, pepper gun, gas grenades) have the stun duration altered depending on target's spawn health (and have a fixed, very short duration for bosses). Stunned enemies take 2x damage. Multiple sources of stun do not stack.
  • Explosive weapons tend to deal more damage than specified in description due to how explosive damage works in Deus Ex.
  • EMP grenades affect only "cybernetic" enemies (arachnotrons and any monsters that inherit from this class, and bosses). Also, enemies stunned by EMP grenades do NOT take more damage, but the stun duration is much higher.
  • EMP grenades drain your bioelectric energy if you get caught in the blast (from DeusDoom: Augmentations mod).
  • Scrambler grenades affect the same enemies as EMP does, but makes affected enemies to be temporarily friendly to the player.
  • Gas grenades periodically stun enemies and deal minor damage to the player.
Before you play:
  • Make sure that the latest deusdoom-core is loaded BEFORE deusdoom-weapons.
  • Bind at least one of the interface keys (inventory or skill interface).
  • Don't forget to level up your skills. You have 4050 skill points to spend in the beginning of the game, and you earn more for killing enemies and progressing through levels.
  • Weapon mods stay only on a particular weapon. If you drop it and leave it behind, they won't come back.
  • Berserk pack affects all melee weapons (except Riot Prod), but multiplies their damage by just 1.5x.
  • You can, in fact, load this mod with other weapon mods, it respect other mods' weapon/ammo spawners to a certain extent. Not sure why you'd do that, but you can.
For developers:
Spoiler:
YouTube trailer:

Screenshots:

More screenshots:
Spoiler:
Downloads:
[DeusDoom: Weapons] https://github.com/cyberc001/deusdoom-w ... master.zip
[DeusDoom: Core] https://github.com/cyberc001/deusdoom-c ... master.zip
Github repos:
[DeusDoom: Weapons] https://github.com/cyberc001/deusdoom-weapons
[DeusDoom: Core] https://github.com/cyberc001/deusdoom-core

Also check out [DeusDoom: Augmentations]: viewtopic.php?p=1182669
Last edited by cyber_cool on Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:05 am, edited 10 times in total.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [DeusDoom: Weapons] adding Deus Ex weapons to Doom

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Gee, out and at 'em already. Awesome! :D
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

I love playing this mod so far! For some reason the augment canisters are 2d sprites. Also, do you plan on adding the gadgets? Lastly, when I try to pick up a dead enemy's weapon, the game crashes.

Keep up with the great work!
Last edited by Bobby on Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Wow this is exceptionally accurate to the original game, I'm really impressed how all the included systems look, work and feel exactly like in Deus Ex.

The weapon set does seem to favor sparsely populated maps with minimal ambushes though. Since most maps commonly don't have monsters facing away from the player and there are no stealth/NPC mechanics from Deus Ex, it might make the default balance quite difficult for the majority of action-orientated maps out there. I'm wondering if there could be a "assault-focused" setting or mode where player skills are maxed from the start and inventory size is extended by a single row?

EDIT: typos
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Bobby wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:24 pm For some reason the augment canisters are 2d sprites. Also, do you plan on adding the gadgets? Lastly, when I try to pick up a dead enemy's weapon, the game crashes.
I made Augmentations mod way before adding an inventory system and figuring out how to import 3D models, so yeah, I will expand on that in the future.
About the crash: haven't encountered anything like that yet, do you remember what mods did you have loaded or do you have VM abort logs? That would be great.
Spaceman333 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:28 pm The weapon set does seem to favor sparsely populated maps with minimal ambushes though. Since most maps commonly don't have monsters facing away from the player during play and there are no stealth/NPC mechanics in Deus Ex, it might make the default balance quite difficult for the majority of action-orientated maps out there. I'm wondering if there could be a "assault-focused" setting or mode where player skills are maxed from the start and inventory size is extended by a single row?
Indeed it does. Though you are not totally defenseless against ambushes when you have fast-firing weapon like an assault shotgun or assault rifle, and if you know about the ambush you can plant a LAM beforehand.
I am not really into expanding the inventory yet, since it will make some choices between weapons not relevant. About maxing out skills - I guess this is a good idea, if you are forced to run-and-gun from the start, but I noticed that most WADs start out with few ambushes, so by the time you need good accuracy for surviving ambushes, you already have a skill or two maxed. Still, I guess I'll add it soon so you can beat even the meanest maps (remember that it'll also make all your weapons deal x2 damage).
Also don't forget that you can adjust skill points multiplier in the options menu for shorter and/or harder maps.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Also don't forget that you can adjust skill points multiplier in the options menu for shorter and/or harder maps.
Oh neat! That might be sufficient to solve that concern fully. I haven't tried the mod yet, so I wasnt aware of this setting.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Spaceman333 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:11 am
Oh neat! That might be sufficient to solve that concern fully. I haven't tried the mod yet, so I wasnt aware of this setting.
Yeah, forgot to mention it.
Bobby wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:24 pm Lastly, when I try to pick up a dead enemy's weapon, the game crashes.
Also, looks like I've fixed the crash (hopefully).
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Eyyyyyy, more legitimate uses for the .3d format!
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

oh awesome!
I'm not gonna lie, I went through the process of getting my account reactivated just so I could post about this.
I've been having a blast with this so far, you've done a fantastic job with all this! I spent an entire day just cobbling together some hud and player stuff just to match it for myself.
Got some bugs and weird stuff to report.

Got a vmabort when I shot a rampancy robot with a PS20, as it exploded.

EDIT: Had a hard crash when I reached the third level of my game.

When using your augmentations mod alongside this, the text used in all of it is black, rather than white, making it hard to read.

The biocells show their actor name rather than their proper name when you look at them.

The default key for opening the inventory rebinds itself to I every game, even if you'd bound it to something else.

The equip sounds of all weapons are higher pitched for some reason.

There was a LAW in a pile of ammo, when I was rapidly picking them up it just... sorta vanished.
EDIT: Disregard, it was a LAM ahhahahahahaha im stoopid

These next ones aren't bug reports, but more just things I noticed, may or may not be accurate, especially as it's been a while since I played DX.

The sawn off shotgun has no pump sound after firing.

Your accuracy only tightens up when stationary and pointing at an enemy? I don't remember it working like that, I thought simply being still will tighten your spread regardless of where you aim.
Sometimes you lose accuracy even when aiming at an enemy even while you're still, which is very bizarre to me.
As I said, been a while since I played, but I don't remember having this much trouble with spread.

Throwing grenades is a bit hard, it seems to aim away from the crosshair, had a real hard time trying to throw them through windows.

EDIT: Having no visible bullets, impacts or bullet holes makes it extremely difficult to get a read on how the guns are shooting, especially if the enemy you're firing at doesn't flinch.

EDIT: Not entirely sure, but I think placing a grenade on a wall alerted enemies.

And some questions~
Could we get some options for stuff like having ammo as inventory items, toggling whether the hotbar stays up permanently, disabling the crosshair while in the automap?

Could we get a bit of ammo from picking up weapon duplicates? Or just block picking them up if you already have one, either works.

Could I get some damagetypes or other compat stuff? I'd like to make the Rampancy robots immune to gas grenades, and take massive EMP damage from emp grenades.

Is there a way the use to pickup and frame targeting on items could be extended to any kind of pickup? The default doom stuff clashes a bit against the DX stuff, and using another mod to add pickup to them allows you to pickup the DX pickup selection boxes, which is funny.

Well in any case, I'm looking forward to whatever else you do, fantastic stuff! You should be proud.
Clown_Number_42
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Clown_Number_42 »

Is "The Prod" included? Because it's always nice to stick with the prod.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm Got some bugs and weird stuff to report.
The mod is in a really raw state, and no amount of my playtesting can show all the bugs, so thank you for reporting a lot of them.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pmEDIT: Had a hard crash when I reached the third level of my game.

When using your augmentations mod alongside this, the text used in all of it is black, rather than white, making it hard to read.
The crash probably has to do with Augmentations item transfer. I am going to resume working on this mod so I will have this annoying bug fixed (among other things). For now I'd advice to disable this feature.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm The default key for opening the inventory rebinds itself to I every game, even if you'd bound it to something else.
This is amusing, since it's just a KEYCONF entry. Maybe I've fucked something up.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm The equip sounds of all weapons are higher pitched for some reason.
Most of them, yes. I tried to adjust the speed of equip sounds so they end before the animation finishes, but A_StartSound() can't preserve pitch while speeding up sounds, so I'll edit the sounds directly later on. Noted.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm EDIT: Having no visible bullets, impacts or bullet holes makes it extremely difficult to get a read on how the guns are shooting, especially if the enemy you're firing at doesn't flinch.
That's planned as listed in the thread post.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm EDIT: Not entirely sure, but I think placing a grenade on a wall alerted enemies.
Yeah, I think I should remove that.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm Sometimes you lose accuracy even when aiming at an enemy even while you're still, which is very bizarre to me.
It kinda depends on whether or not a LineTracer is hitting a wall or the actor you are aiming at, so it's finnicky around the corners or windows.
It may require some additional tuning, ngl. Maybe I'll increase amount of time it take to fully lose the aim accuracy. And I can't say I got the mechanics right, either. Maybe it's worth poking at the source code.
Oh, and btw, you don't really lose aiming accuracy by moving, you just decrease your overall accuracy. It's really
total spread = base spread - aim spread decrease + velocity spread increase

Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm Throwing grenades is a bit hard, it seems to aim away from the crosshair, had a real hard time trying to throw them through windows.
They are also subject to spread, I guess I'll tone it down a lot so you gain perfect accuracy while standing still at trained level or something.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm Could we get some options for stuff like having ammo as inventory items, toggling whether the hotbar stays up permanently, disabling the crosshair while in the automap?
Having ammo as an inventory item will make your inventory very limited, I guess. I'll instead be figuring out how to properly display ammo in the interface, since now it's just a barebone ammo list that doesn't even have scrolling.
For hotbar, I am certainly adding this option, as well as configurable show/stay/hide timings.
I would try to hide crosshair in the automap at all times, just haven't figured out yet how to do that in a RenderOverlay() event.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm Could we get a bit of ammo from picking up weapon duplicates? Or just block picking them up if you already have one, either works.
It's already a feature (unless it's bugged out), you just don't get a lot of ammo.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm Could I get some damagetypes or other compat stuff? I'd like to make the Rampancy robots immune to gas grenades, and take massive EMP damage from emp grenades.
In this mod there is no really EMP damage, all compatible monsters are stunned 100% but temporarily. Also, you already can make them be stunned by EMP grenades in same way you make them ignore the play with Radar Transparency on (Arachnotron isFooledByRadarTransparency;), but I'll surely expand the amount of properties (including resistance to gas grenades and riot prod/pepper stun).
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm Is there a way the use to pickup and frame targeting on items could be extended to any kind of pickup?
Uhh, I just can enable it back (right now it's restricted to only DeusDoom items). I just wasn't sure how balanced it would be, and I can only detect how much space an item will occupy only based on it's sprite dimensions. Even then, if it's a square sprite, should it be 1x1 or 2x2? But I will add an option toggle anyway.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm and using another mod to add pickup to them allows you to pickup the DX pickup selection boxes, which is funny.
Yeah, how this pickup system was implemented is a long story. I actually can prevent this from happening, I think.
Yholl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm Well in any case, I'm looking forward to whatever else you do, fantastic stuff! You should be proud.
And thank you again.
Last edited by cyber_cool on Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyber_cool

Post by cyber_cool »

Clown_Number_42 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:28 am Is "The Prod" included? Because it's always nice to stick with the prod.
Every weapon is in there. Riot prod is kinda rare, but can spawn on almost any pickup, and has an incredibly powerful stun against single targets.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Definitely some funny hijinks happening with the binds. Mine keeps blanking out everytime I launch the game, so I have to rebind it over and over. I wonder what could've caused it.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

ZikShadow wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:23 am Definitely some funny hijinks happening with the binds. Mine keeps blanking out everytime I launch the game, so I have to rebind it over and over. I wonder what could've caused it.
Nothing to do with say, any autoconfig.txt file?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Nope. Checked the mod files and there's none of that there.
Oh, another thing I also noticed though not really a problem per say is that the inventory screen doesn't pop up in demos. Bit unfortunate for recordings, but it's no biggie.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”