[Re-Finished] Final Mildoom - a US Marines styled weapons+enemies mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
grotski
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[Re-Finished] Final Mildoom - a US Marines styled weapons+enemies mod

Post by grotski »

Mildoom is inspired by the USMC's attempt at using Doom for training purposes. I've slapped together Doomy styled versions of real world marine corps issued weapons. Pretty fun with the standalone BrutalDoom monsters or really anything that makes the game a bit harder.

Final Mildoom offers 14 weapons for your shooty shoots pleasure.

This is the true Final Mildoom. Compatibility with most wads, SSG and EBR will not spawn in Doom 1. Optional, but recommended, action movie style soundpack for certain painful to listen to weapons. Added burning deaths. Better smoke effect, riot shield enemy and rocketman resprite.

>>>Download Final Mildoom<<<
Load the enemies first.
>>>Download OpFor(Enemies pack)<<<
>>>Download Soundpack<<<

Spoiler:
Classes
Spoiler:
Old versions!
Spoiler:
Last edited by grotski on Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:44 am, edited 37 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Mildoom

Post by Captain J »

Heh i really love the modified vanilla weapon sprites and are in good use!
grotski

Post by grotski »

Thanks, I'm glad they turned out well.
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

This looks amusing. If it is inspired by the USMC's version, which featured quintuple damage, then you may consider (and not to go full-on Hideous Destructor mode, because that thing goes way, way too far) trying some adjustments to the sheer speed of the Player Classes. Or, at least a second version of the mod, with the explicit intent of incorporating insane multiplayer populations. Then, you build maps with massive slaughter-esque creature placements that require certain BossDeath-flagged opponents to die before advancing to the next stage. In other words, go for the full-on Warhammer 40K vibe. Only, don't make it into a fuggin' Battle Royale clone--just have it so co-op requires some measure of finesse in the players since you can't rely on super-speed to circle-strafe every encounter.
grotski

Post by grotski »

I'm thinking the idea of slowing down players would be a cool feature especially if I could put in sprinting, make it sort of early 2000s fps gameplay. Probably slow down the harder class the most when he's taken damage. Not exactly what you're getting at but having monster spawns throw up more monsters could be pretty fun as the guns are all pretty powerful.
grotski

Re: [Update] Mildoom version 1.5

Post by grotski »

Update! Reload animations and reworking of some weapons. More details in first post.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5y673fdx ... 5.pk3/file
[]Dot

Post by []Dot »

Oh that looks like a nice mod to play. Mods like this are always cool to play. By the way you should add some cvar options for additional tweaking so that players can fine tune the game balance a bit more. Also is there a plan to add a method to increase accuracy of the weapons? For example when a player stands still, crouches or uses the iron sight he will have better accuracy than firing on the move but it for faster packed action it shouldn't be "mandatory". Or alternatively when the player fires in burst the projectiles should be in a tight pattern so to encourage the player to not use "full auto" all the time at mid-long range.

From the few minutes I have played of it so far the Remington shotgun seems to be better for mid ranged combat than the pistol. The Infantry Assault Rifle is fairly inaccurate but it seems to make it up at least with damage.

The shotgun, super shotgun and the pistol firing effect sounds a bit too weak given how much damage they do now. Their firing sound also gets canceled when the weapon reloading sound gets played.

The super shotgun needs some tweaking as its fires its 2 barrels way too fast, there should be a bit more delay so that the player has greater control of it.

Also if you are going to add sprinting, please make it not so that like about 1-3 minutes the player gets tired but instead the player should have a much longer stamina.
grotski

Post by grotski »

Thinking I'll add in baddie health cvar in the 'OpFor' enemies companion mod.

Here's a progress update on that.

I like the idea of adding in some accuracy features, especially a burst fire. Would like to preserve as much compatibility as possible others' maps so stuff like speed adjustments and crouching aren't something I'd like to delve into. Took real sounds for these weapons recorded in kind of bad circumstances, should probably look into mixing them to feel more weighty.

I love my weird ssg, feels more interesting to have to finesse it.
grotski

Re: [Update] Mildoom version 2.0

Post by grotski »

Pleased with the changes. Happy enough to call it version 2.0
grotski

Post by grotski »

Mildoom 2 bugfix Doomslayer class was janky. Reworked weapons to not ever enter a reload state. Apologies for the constant bumping of my own thread. Just was not sitting well with me.

EDIT: Didn't playtest at all. Doomslayer class works now.
[]Dot

Post by []Dot »

grotski wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 am
I like the idea of adding in some accuracy features, especially a burst fire. Would like to preserve as much compatibility as possible others' maps so stuff like speed adjustments and crouching aren't something I'd like to delve into. Took real sounds for these weapons recorded in kind of bad circumstances, should probably look into mixing them to feel more weighty.
That's reasonable that you don't want to adjust the speed due to map design. As for the sound I hope you can work out something with that, if possible it should sound like a small explosive is being set off, not like a hand grenade but with whatever gunpowder amount those cartridges have.
grotski wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 am I love my weird ssg, feels more interesting to have to finesse it.
For me it awkward to control the gun more finely and it often happens to me that I accidentally fire off another round because how easy it is to trigger the fire.
UmbrellAssassin

Post by UmbrellAssassin »

grotski wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:53 pm Mildoom 2 bugfix Doomslayer class was janky. Reworked weapons to not ever enter a reload state. Apologies for the constant bumping of my own thread. Just was not sitting well with me.

EDIT: Didn't playtest at all. Doomslayer class works now.
Link in dead. Only working one is 1.5. Any way we can get a new one?
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

The link is down sadly ..
grotski

Post by grotski »

grotski

Re: [Update] Mildoom 3

Post by grotski »

Return to “Gameplay Mods”