GZDoom 4.9.0 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

brick
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.9.0 released

Post by brick »

RIP SoftPoly (though I doubt anyone was still using it)
I also laughed at "removed some redundant chaaracters". Please tell me you did this on purpose :P
I really like the new mirror tags, both have much potential in atmospheric/horror wads.

I'd really like to contribute and participate in the survey, but I am in the middle of a couple of playthroughs and don't want to update to the new version until I finish them. How long do you expect the survey will run for?
On the subject of saves the per-IWAD folder seems like a very nice extension, since I guess this now means that the IWADs won't interfere with each others' autosaves anymore.

I'd like to echo Enjay in extending a big thank you for keeping this port going and updated for so many years.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Here's the beauty of a portable-capable app like GZDoom: you can install a second copy of it in another location and not have to touch your in-place install.
vsonnier
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by vsonnier »

Fortunately, the '-config' command line parameter is still there: I have several .ini depending of which mod I'm runing, loaded through the '[Global.Autoload]' section together with additional dedicated settings. I do hope this system will stay.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

brick wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:23 pm I also laughed at "removed some redundant chaaracters". Please tell me you did this on purpose :P
They were redundant because an internal mapping to another character with the identical graphic exists, so yes, it was on purpose.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Graf Zahl wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:25 am
brick wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:23 pm I also laughed at "removed some redundant chaaracters". Please tell me you did this on purpose :P
They were redundant because an internal mapping to another character with the identical graphic exists, so yes, it was on purpose.
I think they meant the typo in "chaaracters", which has an extra/redundant a.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Well, yeah, keyboards occasionally do that! :P
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

KynikossDragonn wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:03 pmI also like to report I can't get it to stop attaching "-m" to the end of the g4.9.0, and it 's the same issue as before coming from the DiscordRPC libraries:

Why is the build process doing this? I'm confused, it does this even with Ninja or Unix Makefiles... it somehow does this even if I remove write permissions to those files, and it somehow is also able to do this if I change ownership of those files to root and disable write permission???
Commit the changes it's made during the compilation process and send a PR to GZDoom for merging. Say that a Raze dev asked you to do so. I had to do the same thing in Raze, no idea why.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Do you have clang-format installed? If so, it's probably caused by this mess in DiscordRPC CMake file.
FGsouL

Post by FGsouL »

I always copy paste inside of ini file of older version to newest version for make my settings instantly ready for new version. Is it a healthy way or can break some stuff in new versions?
Also When you play game as windowed ( not in main menu),you cant use right top icons of window with 4.9.0,it makes game window freeze. Is it a bug or purposely done?
Last edited by FGsouL on Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you carry over your old INI GZDoom will ask you how you want to use it. So you should be able to continue with your old config.
Just keep in mind that if you choose the User folder as storage it will become your global config for all GZDoom installations.
If you do not want that, use 'portable' and you can continue as before, just with a differently named INI.
KynikossDragonn
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

_mental_ wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:01 am Do you have clang-format installed? If so, it's probably caused by this mess in DiscordRPC CMake file.
Yeah, I have Clang installed and actively use it more than GCC. Does that section of the CMake file just need to get completely removed or is there some command line argument that needs to be passed to clang-format?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That idiocy needs to be removed. Enforcing coding style like this is just stupid.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I don't think it does any good having that there so I'll just remove it.
KynikossDragonn
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Well thank goodness that mystery is finally solved, I probably should have poked around with the CMakeLists myself but I'm not much of a coder so I probably wouldn't of understood what I was looking at or trying to find.
boostaddicted

Post by boostaddicted »

Thanks for the updates - quite a number of changes. Will download it here soon.

FYI that the date shown on the downloads page for 4.9.0 is shown incorrectly as 2022-07-04

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”