[0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Netheritor

Re: [0.9.4] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by Netheritor »

Beed28 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:46 pm - Having too many points in the High Velocity upgrade seems to prevent you from aiming the projectiles up and down, with both mouselook or autoaim.
- High Velocity doesn't seem to appear for the vanilla BFG?
- Rapid Fire doesn't seem to account for the GunFlash frames properly? Especially once its maxed out (best seen on the vanilla Super Shotgun, for example).
Not the modder but, what do you mean by aiming projectiles up and down?
Did toxic edit something with high velocity? Pretty sure there is that upgrade in 0.9.3.
For gunflash, it happens with the rest of vanilla weapons, but not with this mod included. Try using sv_fastweapons, the pistol, chaingun, and plasmarifle doesn't have the flash anymore.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Netheritor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:31 am
Beed28 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:46 pm - Having too many points in the High Velocity upgrade seems to prevent you from aiming the projectiles up and down, with both mouselook or autoaim.
- Rapid Fire doesn't seem to account for the GunFlash frames properly? Especially once its maxed out (best seen on the vanilla Super Shotgun, for example).
Not the modder but, what do you mean by aiming projectiles up and down?
Did toxic edit something with high velocity? Pretty sure there is that upgrade in 0.9.3.
For gunflash, it happens with the rest of vanilla weapons, but not with this mod included. Try using sv_fastweapons, the pistol, chaingun, and plasmarifle doesn't have the flash anymore.
I've seen what they're referring to concerning velocity, sometimes it seems like the pitch calculation can be a bit off when aiming up/down at different angles, if you want a good example load up something like samsara and put it on parias' ice shards, then aim upward or downward and it'll feel off. I'm garbage at trig but if I had to guess it's something to do with how its adjusting the velocity on the vertical axis being slightly misaligned, which is why its only noticeable with some weapons.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

found a bug with 0.9.5, multiplayer works basically perfectly but something can cause you to pick 2 player upgrades in 1 player level and results in player xp dropping to -3/3
you can still get another player level by leveling 6 weapons, it just breaks the flow a little bit... not too sure what could cause it.
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

Ryuhi wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:20 pm Yeah, in that case in particular im pretty sure it has to do with how the thermosuit buildup mechanic works. I've seen it in other mods as well that use secondary damage sources, which is why i mentioned it. I was pleasantly surprised when the mod already had the ability to track damage properly from things like barrel explosions, so just wanted to see if there might be a similar possibility. Unfortunately the pistol in said Whitemare set is agonizingly slow to level, as it relies on said burning damage far more than its direct output.
Yeah, there's not really anything I can do about this -- it's a bug with damage attribution on Whitemare's end.
I'll take a look at the HV aiming issue, but on my end the code is extremely simple; it just calls A_ScaleVelocity as soon as the projectile is spawned, which should speed it up equally on all axes. So I have no idea what the issue could be.

HV not appearing on the vanilla BFG sounds plausible, since the BFG follows up each projectile shot with a large number of hitscan shots, so GB will assume it's a hitscan weapon and thus not eligible.

Rapid Fire causing graphical glitches with GunFlash is a known issue that I still haven't figured out how to solve. It's implemented with a really stupid hack that involves grabbing the PSprite and fast-forwarding through frames, and might not be solvable. As far as I can tell it's strictly a rendering issue that doesn't affect behaviour, though.
Dan_The_Noob wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:49 am found a bug with 0.9.5, multiplayer works basically perfectly but something can cause you to pick 2 player upgrades in 1 player level and results in player xp dropping to -3/3
you can still get another player level by leveling 6 weapons, it just breaks the flow a little bit... not too sure what could cause it.
Ok, that is a charmingly weird bug. Does it happen only in MP, or SP too? What's your setting for gun_levels_per_player_level?

Also, what does "cause you to pick 2 player upgrades" mean here? Like, are we talking:
- you pick an upgrade but it's still flashing and opening the menu again lets you pick another upgrade
- you pick an upgrade and it drops you back into the menu and you need to pick another one
- you pick an upgrade and it gives you two copies of it
- you pick an upgrade and it gives you another random upgrade
- something else?
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

it has only happened in multiplayer so far, so can't confirm if it's also in solo.
but basic settings are

25000 EXP for level 1
3 perk choices for weapons
3 perk choices for player
player perk every 3 weapon perks

at player level 2 i picked my perk, then the menu stayed up and offered another one. afterward, the HUD was -3/3 and stuck flashing until it reached 0/3 (positive values)

--EDIT--
also 0.3 scaling for melee and 0.5 scaling for wimpy weapons...
and the 3rd level i gained was for chainsaw.
incase that's relevant somehow.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Another multiplayer exclusive issue.
if you die while picking a perk or close the menu without picking a perk, the EXP is reset to the start of the current level and you get no perk.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

Dan_The_Noob wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:00 am Another multiplayer exclusive issue.
if you die while picking a perk or close the menu without picking a perk, the EXP is reset to the start of the current level and you get no perk.
That actually happens in single player as well, if you open the level up menu and then close it before selecting anything it just resets the exp for that level
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Ryuhi wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:06 am That actually happens in single player as well, if you open the level up menu and then close it before selecting anything it just resets the exp for that level
hm. might be a limitation i guess...?

anyways in other news.
would it be possible to have death explosions count toward EXP? same with fragment shots etc.
it's possible it does but is just not very noticeable with vanilla doom enemies.
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

The available upgrades are rolled when you open the menu; I didn't want players to be able to keep re-opening the menu until they roll the one they want. (If you really want that experience, change the settings so it gives you the full list of upgrades to choose from.) This way if you really get a set of upgrades you don't want you can discard them and try again at the cost of having to re-earn that level (which is still cheaper than choosing an upgrade you don't want and having to earn a new level).

Death explosions and frag shots already give XP -- I just double checked and it's working fine.

I also did a frag shot stress test, and even on my potato laptop with an integrated Intel GPU, with a plasma rifle with 50 levels of fragmentation shots on it firing into a crowd of imps, it stayed above 30 fps; now, that's a significant reduction from 60, but that's also kind of a worst-case scenario for it with a crappy GPU and a completely unrealistic level of frag shots. People seeing lag from fragmentation shots -- what sort of system are you playing it on, what weapon are you using, and how many levels of frag shots do you have? Does it start lagging as soon as you take any levels or does it gradually get worse as you put more ranks into it?
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

ToxicFrog wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:57 pm The available upgrades are rolled when you open the menu; I didn't want players to be able to keep re-opening the menu until they roll the one they want. (If you really want that experience, change the settings so it gives you the full list of upgrades to choose from.) This way if you really get a set of upgrades you don't want you can discard them and try again at the cost of having to re-earn that level (which is still cheaper than choosing an upgrade you don't want and having to earn a new level).

Death explosions and frag shots already give XP -- I just double checked and it's working fine.
oh righto, i guess vanilla just makes it far less noticeable EXP for death explosions and fragshots.
ToxicFrog wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:57 pm I also did a frag shot stress test, and even on my potato laptop with an integrated Intel GPU, with a plasma rifle with 50 levels of fragmentation shots on it firing into a crowd of imps, it stayed above 30 fps; now, that's a significant reduction from 60, but that's also kind of a worst-case scenario for it with a crappy GPU and a completely unrealistic level of frag shots. People seeing lag from fragmentation shots -- what sort of system are you playing it on, what weapon are you using, and how many levels of frag shots do you have? Does it start lagging as soon as you take any levels or does it gradually get worse as you put more ranks into it?
I have a GTX1070 and an i7 6700 and can see some intense dips with fragshot, though i also use corruption cards with a pack that is purely just increasing monster counts.
the submunitions run exponentially better than the frag shots though.
i killed 1200 enemies in a handful of shots using submunitions with little to no lag.
but a rapid fire plasma gun with fragshot in a room of 20-ish enemies will tank the game to 25-30fps.

perhaps reducing the trails on fragshots or maybe whatever the puff effect is (if any) could help? because it seems more like the visual element causes more chug than the actual projectile count.
stainedofmind

Post by stainedofmind »

ToxicFrog wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:57 pm I also did a frag shot stress test, and even on my potato laptop with an integrated Intel GPU, with a plasma rifle with 50 levels of fragmentation shots on it firing into a crowd of imps, it stayed above 30 fps; now, that's a significant reduction from 60, but that's also kind of a worst-case scenario for it with a crappy GPU and a completely unrealistic level of frag shots. People seeing lag from fragmentation shots -- what sort of system are you playing it on, what weapon are you using, and how many levels of frag shots do you have? Does it start lagging as soon as you take any levels or does it gradually get worse as you put more ranks into it?
Slowdown for frag shot seems pretty random for me. Sometimes it runs fine with multiple levels, other times it is so laggy that I can't even use a single level of it.

On a previous note, I've been stress testing particles again, and I do think you're correct in that they aren't causing the un-playable lag I'm experiencing, so stay tuned for more info on that when I hit a performance wall again.

Regarding rapid fire, I've been continuing research using the "vanilla" powerup, and it seems pretty arbitrary which mods it works with and which don't. There's even been a few mods I've tested were it works with some weapons, and others it doesn't. It's really starting to look like a limitation with the frame skipping technique. I've been compiling a brief list of mods, mostly for my own sanity, on what works and what doesn't if you'd like a copy of it in the end.

Finally, been noticing a small issue with the explosive death power up, namely, if you telefrag something, you'll in turn get killed yourself from being at ground zero of the explosion. Especially considering that there's times you'll have no idea that a telefrag is coming, and sometimes can't avoid it, its kind of a run killer.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

I've been thinking more so on potential "odd" upgrades you can bring to this to make it more exciting, and I had a flash to Cave Story and the mini-gun in how it let you essentially fly, and a kind of push player back script to give to a weapon could be potentially intriguing for some crazy fun.

Another idea might be for weapons to leave behind simple sprites on the floor as proverbial spills of acid or such to effect monsters.

But I think the crazier and more fun ones would effect monsters in bizarre ways, such as having a hit on a monster having a random chance to spawn a toy-doomguy-soldier to run around and fight for you, with extremely limited health and damage of course but still useful.

I'm just spit balling ideas for fun :D.
NamelessGuy

Post by NamelessGuy »

I played Stronghold and noticed huge lag spikes after using SSG with Embrittlement, Chain Lightning and Elemental beam upgrades. Other upgrades were Rapid fire and Damage. Could it possibly be some actors spawned by one of these upgrades causing all these lags? Even bouncy shots don't cause this much lag.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

found some more bugs/useful context for issues both multiplayer or general.

-if a player is using the upgrade menu and the stage ends, they are locked out of upgrading for the rest of the wad even after restart/loading (some kind of token given when opening menu getting stuck or something?)
-fragshot is super laggy when fired near pain sector liquids or paired with corruption cards (on hit) effects such as shields and acid blood
-revivify shock effect can also cause some intense lag depending how many things are killed simultaneously
-submunitions seem to cause minimal lag until you get too many of the same upgrade stacked, maybe can change them to cause more damage or something instead of spawning extras?
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

heads up for anyone using newest Corruption Cards (4.3 or later) with this mod.
uncheck/disable libtooltipmenu in your load order/launcher as CC4.3 has it baked in and won't launch with both enabled.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”