Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Faspons [SEP 16 2022] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Weird suggestion, but, hey, it counts:

In my most recent mod, War Rooster, i did some jerry-rigged ACS tricks so the player could find secret weapons by beating stages when getting 100% kills. Maybe make the pistol avaiable, but the player must beat some requirements? Ammo could be shared with the combat rifle, because we as Doom modders are tired of trying to explain how a 5.56mm rifle shares pool with a 9mm pistol and we stopped caring =p
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That could be a cool way to do it, add a few more weapons but make them rare/conditional so we could get a pistol, SMG, precision rifle, etc.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:16 pm Weird suggestion, but, hey, it counts:

In my most recent mod, War Rooster, i did some jerry-rigged ACS tricks so the player could find secret weapons by beating stages when getting 100% kills. Maybe make the pistol avaiable, but the player must beat some requirements? Ammo could be shared with the combat rifle, because we as Doom modders are tired of trying to explain how a 5.56mm rifle shares pool with a 9mm pistol and we stopped caring =p
That is quite rad lol I'll take a look at how that works.
-Ghost- wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:32 am That could be a cool way to do it, add a few more weapons but make them rare/conditional so we could get a pistol, SMG, precision rifle, etc.
I might only do the pistol if anything. I don't feel that any additional weapons would work be helpful to the arsenal without overlapping other weapons and would take away from my project scope for Faspons.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [SEP 19 2022] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Post by faslrn »

Code: Select all

- TWEAK: Mod has been converted to ZScript but clean-up is required going forward
- FIX: Pinkie and Imp behavior checks are now working correctly and should make some of their spawns more unique
- FIX: Riotgun firing animation now only 1 shell eject instead of 2
- FIX: Imp A_Chase was not defined correctly in initial See state
- FIX: Sound overlaps for certain weapons and monsters
- FIX: Edge case of Zombies dying from kicks when they haven't spotted you and turning invisible
Took me a few days but the mod is now converted to ZScript. I need to go in and clean-up a lot of things to make the code more readable as there are simpler ways to do things now-a-days. It is on my list to get done. The only thing that is technically remaining is the statusbar which I will peck at here and there to get done.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [SEP 21 2022] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Post by faslrn »

- FIX: Added back missing bounce factor properties
Small bugfix
faslrn

Re: Faspons [SEP 23 2022] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Post by faslrn »

- FIX: Added back Archvile XDeaths and fixed edge case where the death animation would freeze
Another small fix!
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

I'm currently playing this with 2022ADO Public Beta 1 and DoomRLA Monsters and I'm having a blast so far. :D I'll provide more thoughts once I beat the level set. :P
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

faslrn wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:51 am
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:16 pm Weird suggestion, but, hey, it counts:

-Ghost- wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:32 am That could be a cool way to do it, add a few more weapons but make them rare/conditional so we could get a pistol, SMG, precision rifle, etc.
I might only do the pistol if anything. I don't feel that any additional weapons would work be helpful to the arsenal without overlapping other weapons and would take away from my project scope for Faspons.
I think a pistol would be great, but I'm not really feeling the plasma projectile sprites, they look very old and blocky rather than a more newer effect unless I have some other mod overriding it's sprite
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

cosmos10040 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:27 pm

I think a pistol would be great, but I'm not really feeling the plasma projectile sprites, they look very old and blocky rather than a more newer effect unless I have some other mod overriding it's sprite
Do you have a screenshot of what it looks like on your screen and what mods you are running beside Faspons? I can then tell you if it is supposed to look that way with the current build.

As for the pistol, I spoke with a few more peeps close to me to see what they thought about ideas I had around the pistol and they agree that a pistol wouldn't be suitable with Faspons. Even though I've had a lot of requests for it and toyed with it, replacing the pistol with the rifle was a strategic choice to allow faster gameplay at the beginning and not have the weapon be severely outclassed where it may be never used later in the game unless downright needed. This is mostly because the Minigun is now a critical weapon due to it has its own pool of ammo and can be hard to get depending on the map, so you want to have a long range weapon that can still pick off enemies which I feel the rifle does a fantastic job at.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

While it's still fresh in my brain, I wanna give my thoughts on my experience with the mod.

-The Assault Rifle absolutely retains its relevancy throughout the game as a great sniping and/or precision weapon. That and it's just fun to use overall. I'm glad it replaces the Pistol.
-I like the Minigun's role as an "oh shit" weapon to certain monsters. During my playthrough of the 2022ADO beta with DoomRL Monsters and LegenDoom Lite, the minigun saved my ass during times a pinky or a pinky variant went legendary on me. It's also a great stunlock weapon to keep Cacodemons from attacking.
-How exactly does the adrenaline system work and what does it do? I noticed it fills up faster killing bigger monsters but I don't know what it does exactly. It wasn't distracting enough to be a deterrent though.
-Huge kudos for including monster pack compatibility. Admittedly I have tried this mod in the past but compatibility issues with monster packs made me put it down. I'm glad I picked it back up though. :D
-Does the mod use custom keycards and skull keys? I ask because in my GZDoom settings I have it set to show keys on the automap since at times I can be directionally challenged. :P However, they don't show up at all when using this mod. If possible, could a CVAR be added to use the default keycard and skull key pick ups so they don't interfere with that particular setting?
-The BFG9000 feels off to use. The best way I can describe what I mean by that is that the charging mechanic gets in the way of making subsequent shots charged. For example, my first shot will be fully charged but my next shot won't be because I didn't let go of the mouse button quick enough. Would it be possible to include a CVAR that makes every BFG9000 shot a fully charged shot for those who don't want to worry about charging it?
-Probably not gonna happen and admittedly it's a bit of a selfish request but could be possible to make the plasma rifle use its own ammo type and the BFG use its own ammo type? I know there's gameplay balance to contend with so it's not a big deal if it doesn't happen. :P

That's about it for now. Since I played this with a Doom 1 level set I didn't get to try out the double-barreled shotgun so I can't comment on that yet. However I got some Doom 2 levelsets in my backlog so I'll share my thoughts on the SSG Soon™. :P

Overall, really nice vanilla plus style weapons mod. Keeps things nice and simple while still feeling fresh. <3
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Nems wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:38 pm While it's still fresh in my brain, I wanna give my thoughts on my experience with the mod.

-The Assault Rifle absolutely retains its relevancy throughout the game as a great sniping and/or precision weapon. That and it's just fun to use overall. I'm glad it replaces the Pistol.
-I like the Minigun's role as an "oh shit" weapon to certain monsters. During my playthrough of the 2022ADO beta with DoomRL Monsters and LegenDoom Lite, the minigun saved my ass during times a pinky or a pinky variant went legendary on me. It's also a great stunlock weapon to keep Cacodemons from attacking.
-How exactly does the adrenaline system work and what does it do? I noticed it fills up faster killing bigger monsters but I don't know what it does exactly. It wasn't distracting enough to be a deterrent though.
-Huge kudos for including monster pack compatibility. Admittedly I have tried this mod in the past but compatibility issues with monster packs made me put it down. I'm glad I picked it back up though. :D
-Does the mod use custom keycards and skull keys? I ask because in my GZDoom settings I have it set to show keys on the automap since at times I can be directionally challenged. :P However, they don't show up at all when using this mod. If possible, could a CVAR be added to use the default keycard and skull key pick ups so they don't interfere with that particular setting?
-The BFG9000 feels off to use. The best way I can describe what I mean by that is that the charging mechanic gets in the way of making subsequent shots charged. For example, my first shot will be fully charged but my next shot won't be because I didn't let go of the mouse button quick enough. Would it be possible to include a CVAR that makes every BFG9000 shot a fully charged shot for those who don't want to worry about charging it?
-Probably not gonna happen and admittedly it's a bit of a selfish request but could be possible to make the plasma rifle use its own ammo type and the BFG use its own ammo type? I know there's gameplay balance to contend with so it's not a big deal if it doesn't happen. :P

That's about it for now. Since I played this with a Doom 1 level set I didn't get to try out the double-barreled shotgun so I can't comment on that yet. However I got some Doom 2 levelsets in my backlog so I'll share my thoughts on the SSG Soon™. :P

Overall, really nice vanilla plus style weapons mod. Keeps things nice and simple while still feeling fresh. <3
Thank you for the feedback!
The Assault Rifle absolutely retains its relevancy throughout the game as a great sniping and/or precision weapon. That and it's just fun to use overall. I'm glad it replaces the Pistol.
Glad to hear it!
I like the Minigun's role as an "oh shit" weapon to certain monsters. During my playthrough of the 2022ADO beta with DoomRL Monsters and LegenDoom Lite, the minigun saved my ass during times a pinky or a pinky variant went legendary on me. It's also a great stunlock weapon to keep Cacodemons from attacking.
That is exactly it - the minigun is basically an early "Get out of jail" card and I feel like it is one of the only weapons in the arsenal that kind of feels like a BFG-lite but with bullets.
How exactly does the adrenaline system work and what does it do? I noticed it fills up faster killing bigger monsters but I don't know what it does exactly. It wasn't distracting enough to be a deterrent though.
You are on the right track where bigger enemies mean more adrenaline. It is based off the HP max of a monster and when you get that bar filled, lower-end monsters will flee away from you, be less accurate when attacking (hit-scanners); you take 10% less damage, and run 10% faster. It resets to 0 after 10 seconds but it is a nice boost, especially the fleeing monster part as it gives players a priority to take down larger monsters if they can in massive slaughter rooms because it increases your survivability and gives you breathing room from being swarmed.

As well, killing monsters in different ways grants different adrenaline. So if you do an XDeath compared to a regular death, you net a bit more adrenaline. SSG has it's own little perks for close range gibs. The plasma gun and BFG deal plasma damage and create plasma deaths which is unique because they give a different set of adrenaline and it also means that these monsters cannot be resurrected since they turn into dust.
Huge kudos for including monster pack compatibility. Admittedly I have tried this mod in the past but compatibility issues with monster packs made me put it down. I'm glad I picked it back up though. :D
I am happy that it has it now as well. I was worried that some people might look at Faspons as a vanilla+ weapon mod only and would be surprised when certain monster packs wouldn't work. Hopefully the way I coded it works for any packs out there but with due time, I will find out lol
Does the mod use custom keycards and skull keys? I ask because in my GZDoom settings I have it set to show keys on the automap since at times I can be directionally challenged. :P However, they don't show up at all when using this mod. If possible, could a CVAR be added to use the default keycard and skull key pick ups so they don't interfere with that particular setting?
It does for the key auto-save but you are the first person to bring this up. I didn't see this before as I rarely use the map but I will check into this and fix it up because this is a good catch.
The BFG9000 feels off to use. The best way I can describe what I mean by that is that the charging mechanic gets in the way of making subsequent shots charged. For example, my first shot will be fully charged but my next shot won't be because I didn't let go of the mouse button quick enough. Would it be possible to include a CVAR that makes every BFG9000 shot a fully charged shot for those who don't want to worry about charging it?
I'll try not to include a CVAR but let me work on the BFG timing of the charging and firing to see what I can do to make it work better in the long run.
Probably not gonna happen and admittedly it's a bit of a selfish request but could be possible to make the plasma rifle use its own ammo type and the BFG use its own ammo type? I know there's gameplay balance to contend with so it's not a big deal if it doesn't happen. :P
I thought about this before but it is tough. The NATO ammo for the minigun replacing the big green NATO boxes felt natural because the clips are only used for the pistol and minigun and most map makers expect that the ammo in question is used for the minigun. This made the separation that much more easy to implement and it didn't affect flows of certain map packs that bad at all.

However, the cell and cell packs are a different beast. I tried experimenting to see if I could separate the two, similar to Doom 3's BFG cells but this caused a ton of problems. Most of it was due to unintentional ammo limitations to the plasma gun or even the BFG. I couldn't balance it without affecting both weapons drastically or implementing a new type of ammo that is a combo of a BFG cell and plasma cell. I just couldn't get the balance right.
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

faslrn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:58 pm

Do you have a screenshot of what it looks like on your screen and what mods you are running beside Faspons? I can then tell you if it is supposed to look that way with the current build.

As for the pistol, I spoke with a few more peeps close to me to see what they thought about ideas I had around the pistol and they agree that a pistol wouldn't be suitable with Faspons. Even though I've had a lot of requests for it and toyed with it, replacing the pistol with the rifle was a strategic choice to allow faster gameplay at the beginning and not have the weapon be severely outclassed where it may be never used later in the game unless downright needed. This is mostly because the Minigun is now a critical weapon due to it has its own pool of ammo and can be hard to get depending on the map, so you want to have a long range weapon that can still pick off enemies which I feel the rifle does a fantastic job at.
Let me know if this is accurate. Is not really an issue u less I blast an imp from close range then it just looks off.

https://freeimghost.net/i/Screenshot-20 ... 2226.xHXDH
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

cosmos10040 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:43 pm
faslrn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:58 pm

Let me know if this is accurate. Is not really an issue u less I blast an imp from close range then it just looks off.

https://freeimghost.net/i/Screenshot-20 ... 2226.xHXDH
That's the correct sprite. There should be a blue ring that appears around it but not seeing it there. Otherwise, I could look at tweaking the sprites.
cosmos10040

Post by cosmos10040 »

I think all it needs is proper alpha transparency effects
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

cosmos10040 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:11 pm I think all it needs is proper alpha transparency effects
Yep, that is the plan at least. I don't want to redo the sprites completely, just makes some actor tweaks to make them less annoying.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”