DooM PBR materials pack for episode one (available resolutions: 256, 512 and 1K)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Reinchard2

Re: DooM PBR materials pack demo

Post by Reinchard2 »

Update:

Finished plat1 and lot of switches. I decided to update only version with png's in 1K, because 2K tga version would soon reach horrendous 1GB. Most of the textures from the first episode are ready, there are only a few left, including one time-consuming tekwall.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

Amazing details. It's too realistic for me, but people will love this. Reminds me Quake revitalization project.
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

Marcelus wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:38 pm Amazing details. It's too realistic for me, but people will love this. Reminds me Quake revitalization project.
Thanks Marcelus. Maybe its weird, but back in the mid-90s when I first played Doom, I thought this game had photorealistic textures. Seriously. When I saw them in one of the first editors, they looked like thumbnails of photos to me (which was probably due to the fact that some of them were edited photos). Of course, the low resolution of game (320:200) was very well suited to the size of the textures and concealed any imperfections.
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

Reinchard2 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:28 am
Marcelus wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:38 pm Amazing details. It's too realistic for me, but people will love this. Reminds me Quake revitalization project.
Thanks Marcelus. Maybe its weird, but back in the mid-90s when I first played Doom, I thought this game had photorealistic textures. Seriously. When I saw them in one of the first editors, they looked like thumbnails of photos to me (which was probably due to the fact that some of them were edited photos). Of course, the low resolution of game (320:200) was very well suited to the size of the textures and concealed any imperfections.
yes of course primary goal was realistic how is possible in 90s but today do not fit with woxels, sprites. We need also realistic monsters and weapons. I am hobby artist and in my free time I like drawing especially with ink and also some textures i did for me for doom, quake etc... But also i like old games feeling and I try do it close with original how is possible but how you say some colors, etc looks weird in HD. Not your of course. I like your work but also I like original. That's my schizophrenic view : ))) I have many builds my old games. Realistic, artistic, vanilla... sometimes is hard for me choose what I want :D
D2 Mod Player

Re: DooM 1K PBR materials pack for episode one

Post by D2 Mod Player »

At 1440p half my 8GB VRAM is used up running Diablo 2:Resurrected with a bit of DSR added for high resolution rendering. D2:R isn't thought of as being particularly demanding, but any game these days is if you try to make it look really nice.

When I was doing my Wolfenstein project I'd run out of video memory on a 4 year old build of GzDoom. I had the 1080 as a recent upgrade. The game would crash. I had to learn to use more modest textures (it was enemy sprite renders that did it).

High resolution textures will tax your machine more than you would think, because most games are highly compressed to save space on clients like Steam.
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

For now this pack is only 160MB, its running smooth on my machine and any other I see. Today people use some horrendous packages weighing over 1-2GB and their machines can handle it. Just look at YT. No, 160MB for VRAM i'snt a problem today, even for GZDoom.
generic name guy
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by generic name guy »

Reinchard2 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:43 pm For now this pack is only 160MB, its running smooth on my machine and any other I see. Today people use some horrendous packages weighing over 1-2GB and their machines can handle it. Just look at YT. No, 160MB for VRAM i'snt a problem today, even for GZDoom.
I mean yeah, they run on the computer of the people on Youtube because they have RTX3080s or whatever, loading a bunch of 1k textures while playing in a fast paced game is not viable without optimizations
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

generic name guy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:04 pm
Reinchard2 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:43 pm For now this pack is only 160MB, its running smooth on my machine and any other I see. Today people use some horrendous packages weighing over 1-2GB and their machines can handle it. Just look at YT. No, 160MB for VRAM i'snt a problem today, even for GZDoom.
I mean yeah, they run on the computer of the people on Youtube because they have RTX3080s or whatever, loading a bunch of 1k textures while playing in a fast paced game is not viable without optimizations
What kind of optimization do you expect in this case? 1k textures isn't a problem in GZDoom even 5-10 years ago.You certainly don't need a 30xx generation nvidia card for this, let's be serious.
remusilyes6

Post by remusilyes6 »

I'm playing it on delta touch and it runs flawlessly lol
generic name guy

Reinchard2 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:10 am
What kind of optimization do you expect in this case? 1k textures isn't a problem in GZDoom even 5-10 years ago.You certainly don't need a 30xx generation nvidia card for this, let's be serious.
Have you tried to compress the PNGs using slade? that'd help a bit, and could possibly even bring the size down further
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

generic name guy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:14 am

Have you tried to compress the PNGs using slade? that'd help a bit, and could possibly even bring the size down further
That won't help. PNGs have to be decompressed before being transferred to the GPU, so all it'll do is slightly decrease the filesize of the mod while increasing load times for the textures.
There's nothing you can do about this, any 1K textures in GZDoom will always take up around 4MB each in VRAM, as GZDoom loads textures as 32bpp RGBA. (They'll take slightly more each if you have mipmaps enabled, about 5.33 MB)
generic name guy

phantombeta wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:32 am

That won't help. PNGs have to be decompressed before being transferred to the GPU, so all it'll do is slightly decrease the filesize of the mod while increasing load times for the textures.
There's nothing you can do about this, any 1K textures in GZDoom will always take up around 4MB each in VRAM, as GZDoom loads textures as 32bpp RGBA. (They'll take slightly more each if you have mipmaps enabled, about 5.33 MB)
Are you talking about compressing images in a zip file or compressing them using PNGCrush in SLADE?
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

generic name guy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:19 am
phantombeta wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:32 am

Are you talking about compressing images in a zip file or compressing them using PNGCrush in SLADE?
Doesn't matter which. Again, GZDoom has to decompress the textures before transferring them to the GPU, because GPUs can't use compressed formats like PNG, they need raw image data. It doesn't matter what you do, a texture of a certain size will always take the same amount of VRAM when loaded by GZDoom, so a 1K texture will always take up at least 4MB of VRAM.
D2 Mod Player

Post by D2 Mod Player »

What Phantombeta is saying is correct. I've run GzDoom in a RAMdrive, many times faster than any SSD since it uses volatile memory (my 32GB of DDR4), and it made not much difference in speed.

I also tried many techniques to reduce the size of my PNG's. The GPU would still run out of memory and the stuttering in-game was horrendous due to being unable to pre-cache. It reads each pixel decompressed as data, regardless of the detail in your image.

So what I did was take my 50 frames per enemy and reduced it to 1024x1024 instead of 2048x2048 and it was fine (Mostly, LOL). I even experimented with a compress-less PK3 (zip) file.

The culprit evil fiend ;) was the PNG files themselves.

The bottleneck is the decompression and even the GPU memory limit possibly. Yes, I realize some of my issue was different than the current one, but it proves the point of decompression.
generic name guy

phantombeta wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:47 am Doesn't matter which. Again, GZDoom has to decompress the textures before transferring them to the GPU, because GPUs can't use compressed formats like PNG, they need raw image data. It doesn't matter what you do, a texture of a certain size will always take the same amount of VRAM when loaded by GZDoom, so a 1K texture will always take up at least 4MB of VRAM.
D2 Mod Player wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:03 pm I also tried many techniques to reduce the size of my PNG's. The GPU would still run out of memory and the stuttering in-game was horrendous due to being unable to pre-cache. It reads each pixel decompressed as data, regardless of the detail in your image.

So what I did was take my 50 frames per enemy and reduced it to 1024x1024 instead of 2048x2048 and it was fine (Mostly, LOL). I even experimented with a compress-less PK3 (zip) file.

The culprit evil fiend ;) was the PNG files themselves.
In that case then, i think the only solution would be lowering the resolution of the PBR textures to 512 or 256, just to reduce the amount of texture data loaded at once

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”