Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [V7.0 RELEASED!]

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [V5.0 Releas

Post by Alando1 »

@Enjay - I do not have exact figures of how many people have been trying out the accessibility mod but, based on the feedback I've seen on YouTube, the ZDoom forums, and from what IllegallySighted has told me, there's a pretty good number of people trying it out. We've heard a good amount of feedback, especially during the previous iterations/versions of the mod. We, too, were able to take care of the issues and suggestions people had during that time. We'll be doing some more tweaks to some of the features to further perfect them. As of right now, we're standing by for any additional feedback regarding version 5.0.

-Alando1
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear that the mod is being received well and that you are able to incorporate suggestions to make it even better suited to those who need it. It's an impressive undertaking and I hope that it continues to go from strength to strength.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@Enjay - Thank you, Enjay! :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, just a quick update. My team and I are doing some tweaks which will appear in Version 5.1. The compass system has been updated (thank you to Jarewill) and it now has a snap-turn feature. I recently finished doing some voiceover work for the GZDoom options menu which we should be able to implement into version 5.1. I will keep you posted on any further updates. Stay tuned! :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [V5.1 Releas

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, version 5.1 of the Accessibility Mod has been released. What's has been included is the updated compass system with snap-turn mechanics. I do want to mention that when we get to version 6.0, it will include the full narrated GZDoom menu. My team and I are continuing to improve the features and, for something like the menu, we want to make sure it is performing at its best. Just wanted to thank my team for doing an amazing job and for all that they do. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, my team and I are all ears. All help is appreciated.

Thank you all for your support.

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [Map Pack 4 Released]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, I'm proud to announce the release of Toby Map Pack 4! Enjoy! Download links on page 1.

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [Map Pack 5 Released]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, I'm proud to announce the release of the 5th map pack for the Toby Accessibility Mod! Download links on Page 1. Enjoy! :)

-Alando1
MWTab

Post by MWTab »

Hiya,

I've been trying out version 5.1 on linux, and I have to say great job. I'm quite impressed at the amount that has been accomplished for this mod. I do, however, have a comment:

When you're walking, even when you're not hitting the wall exactly, you still sound like you're bumping the wall in the direction where the wall is close to you. This has the effect that, in classic doom maps, which are severely restricted in some parts, small room sound like a mass of boom boom boom thump as you're trying to find your way out lol. And even in narrow corrodors, you may be lucky if you don't hear yourself bumping along the wall on one side or another as you walk. I remember listening to a stream of illegally sighted playing the second episode of the map pack, and it seemed that was not happening for him, and I must say I prefered that sound much better. It's just so cluttered as you walk around a small room and hear thumps like nobody's business :-). All this long winded message to say, would it be possibly to turn down the wall thumps so that they only happen when you're directly going toward them? In other words, if I'm going east along a tight hallway, and the north wall is right to my left, it's almost less help than it is to here bump bump every single footstep.

These are just my thoughts :-)

-Michael.

Btw, if you need to contact me -- I'd love to give more feedback as time progresses, and I may be one of your only linux players hehe, contact me here: https://2mb.games/contact-us/
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@MWTab - Hi, thank you for your feedback. I do admit the impact detection system isn't perfect but I am in the process of optimizing it. Back in August, I was playing through a little bit of Wolfenstein 3D and I noticed there was an interesting feature the game had. Anytime the player walked into the wall or was sliding along it (or anytime the player made contact with the wall) a subtle low buzzing sound played. I'm going to be talking to my team and ask if there is a way to emulate something similar in Doom. If we are able to implement something like this (which I'm hoping we can), it will be included in version 6.0. By the time we do release version 6.0, mostly everything should be optimized.

If there is anything else we could further improve upon, feel free to let me know. You can PM me on the forum if you'd like. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [Toby Doom 2 Deluxe Released]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, just wanted to let all of you know the Toby Doom 2 Deluxe Map Pack is now available. Toby Doom 2 Deluxe combines Map Packs 4 & 5 into one 20-level map pack. All levels are Doom 2 themed and, if you haven't already played the 5th map pack, I think all of you will get a kick out of the Icon of Sin level...

Download links are on page 1. Hope all of you enjoy! :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [Toby Doom 2 Deluxe Released]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, just a quick update on what is being worked on for the Toby Accessibility Mod. Below is a video of some things we'll be incorporating into the mod.

1. Key Checker system (aka: Lookin' for mah keys system)
2. Powerup wear-off sounds
3. Hit Marker feedback (credit to Tekish)

I'll be putting together some more updates in February. Stay tuned.

-Alando1

Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [UPDATE on Page 3]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, I'm back for a bit of an update. Things are moving along with the Toby Accessibility Mod. Here is a video showcasing some of the updates. Enjoy!

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [Version 6.0 RELEASED!]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, I am proud to announce the release of the Toby Accessibility Mod V6.0! Download links on the first page! Enjoy! :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [Version 6.1 RELEASED!]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, Version 6.1 has been released! This version contains bug fixes and updates to version 6.0. Changelog is on the first page of the thread. If you have version 6.0, please replace it with the new version 6.1 folder. Main files such as the accessibility mod, the map pack, the gzdoom.ini file, and the two shortcuts have been updated. If you encounter any issues, feel free to let me and my team know.

Thank you and enjoy! :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: Toby Accessibility Mod - DOOM for the blind [NEW MAP PACK COMING SOON!]

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, I have some cool news for all of you. A new map pack is in the works for the Toby Accessibility Mod! This project is called Operation: MDK. This map pack aims to recapture the charm that Doom wads had back in the 90s. There will be 15 levels and, from the time I'm posting this, 8 maps are done. I'll keep all of you updated on any further information.

-Alando1

Return to “General”