Doom 1 Relighted with dynamic lights showcase

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
xX_Lore29_Xx
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Doom 1 Relighted with dynamic lights showcase

Post by xX_Lore29_Xx »

Hello, well i wanted to show you a mod i have been working on, the mod aims to relight the whole Doom 1 with dynamic lights to give it a more "realistic" look, the general map aesthetic is based off AndrewMRX's test maps for it's Doom parallax mod which i highly recommend using (see link below)
viewtopic.php?t=70804
I have made a video that showcases the mod in more depth so you can watch it if you want

Here you can download the mod: https://www.mediafire.com/file/783gkr7r ... P.rar/file, as of now i have only relighted the first chapter of the game, if you have any feedback feel free to tell me
That being said, thanks.
Reinchard2

Re: Doom 1 Relighted with dynamic lights showcase

Post by Reinchard2 »

Nice work!
I tested this with my pbr pack:
Spoiler:
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I've notice you've used non attenuated lights. Those don't work with normal maps.
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

Dark-Assassin wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm I've notice you've used non attenuated lights. Those don't work with normal maps.
They work with normal maps. You can see it in my previous post.
xX_Lore29_Xx

Post by xX_Lore29_Xx »

Reinchard2 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:50 pm Nice work!
I tested this with my pbr pack:
Spoiler:
Thanks!, your mod looks pretty great too, have you found any problem with the lights or something?, i'm looking forward to know how it works in other devices and stuff
xX_Lore29_Xx

Post by xX_Lore29_Xx »

Dark-Assassin wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm I've notice you've used non attenuated lights. Those don't work with normal maps.
If by normal maps you mean like the parallax-bump effect, from what i have tested with the DHTP + PBR mods everything seems to work fine, i could use attenuated lights but i can't find an special advantage over normal ones
Vordenko
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Vordenko »

Hey, just a heads up; try to reply to multiple messages in one single reply when you're getting to them, especially if you're gonna do it between short time spans. This is to prevent clutter and keep things more organized.

Thanks!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

xX_Lore29_Xx wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:57 pm but i can't find an special advantage over normal ones
Unattenuated lights do not completely support all advanced lighting features, so you should avoid them if you want to light a scene.

One other thing: I see you use almost pure red/green lights in some spots. You really shouldn't do that - always mix at least 30-40% of white light into the color so that the primary colors of the light do not make the scene look monochromatic.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I thought modified IWAD levels aren't allowed to be distributed?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

IWAD levels are perfectly fine, modified, as long as the author does a bare minimum to ensure that it only works in the game from which it was sourced. Otherwise KDiZD would've been quite illegal indeed.

A strict rule about modifying IWAD levels would've put a massive crimp on a whole lot of Doom modding, anyhow, since there's so many Entryway modifications and remakes.

The archive contains only maps, anyway, and ones that are freely available via Shareware at that (though the registered version maps would be fine too, as long as they didn't include enough to run the full original game).
Marcelus

Post by Marcelus »

Very nice. Maybe electric lights are too much sometimes (aesthetically) but lighting looks nice.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”